It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

If You're On Food Stamps, You Should Lose Voting Privileges?

page: 10
47
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Wetpaint72
 


So when there are more people taking then people producing what are we going to do? It isn't the governments job to look after you. (not mine either)

Things are quickly escalating into a battle of those who produce and those who don't.

If you see it as a "battle", then that is what it will be, in your mind.
My humble opinion is that the vast, vast majority of people just need a serious hand up, emotionally, spiritually, and physically.

Until we as a society can look at our fellow man with an outreached hand...then the government has to take up the slack.

The choice is really ours.

Do you want to give a hand up...or a hand out.




posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm

Originally posted by Laokin

Originally posted by andersensrm

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by andersensrm
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


More here, a lot less there. Out of context, I want more government. Out of context I want less government. Do you see the difference between all three?


All I see is a young person who hasnt quite fully thought out his position...


Fair enough. I'm not perfect, I welcome the criticism. I do think though, that there has to be more regulation in the welfare department. People who qualify, should be legitimate, and there should be investigation to make sure this is true. Thats what I want. Let them keep their votes. I do think that the money given to people should only be spent on necessities, and there should be enforcement of this.



Right, but you realize it costs more money to conduct a fair investigation to every single welfare applicant than it would cost in money handed out to said applicants?

Or do you propose social workers work for free? There are also millions of applicants, so there would then be a huge back log of people who aren't given funds until it's too late.

This would actually incredibly worsen the problem you are trying to solve.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)


You could do it statistically, without going through each case, you won't find all, but you will find most. I don't have all the answers, I'm just proposing the idea. Just because I can't explain how it would work, doesn't mean it wouldn't. Our society needs a paradigm shift, and its not going to happen if nothing changes.



Our society does need a paradigm shift. I believe you are 100% correct in that assertion. However, if you fix the economy, you will fix the entitlements issue by nature.

To fix the economy, we need a government that WANTS to fix it -- not a government that parades around going, hey WE NEED TO FIX IT, only they keep spending more and more and more purposefully to destroy it.

What we need is a change in perception. We need a change in media, one that drops the bias and propaganda for one that only reports truth and fact and leaves their opinions at home.

Essentially what I'm saying is the problem you have noticed and want to fix is a symptom of a much greater systemic threat. There is no sense in fixing a by-product without fixing the source.

Fixing the source autonomously fixes the by-product.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laokin

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Wetpaint72
 


So when there are more people taking then people producing what are we going to do? It isn't the governments job to look after you. (not mine either)

Things are quickly escalating into a battle of those who produce and those who don't.


No it's not. It's escalating into a battle of those who are not producing fighting for the chance to produce.

Since the amount of jobs has decreased the amount of people who need work increase. Hence an inflation in the unemployment bubble.

This leads to more people needing entitlements, not more people scamming the system.


Well, I will partially agree with you on this. Free trade, NAFTA has allowed corporations to cut jobs and move their manufacturing to other countries. But I find that yes, more people are leeching off the system. It is getting to the point that under the right circumstances a person can make the equivalent of 15/hr on government programs.


reply to post by Laokin
 


Not going to happen.
edit on 29-2-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Laokin
 


if someone is doing drugs on nobodies dime (there not on foodstamps or welfare) then its doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the people who are on the governments dime and they still pay for drugs with money that they should be useing for there well being or there families well being

i understand that it is almost beyond impossible to people to cold turkey heroin and crack coc aine because of how addictive it is but they can always find help before going about applying for these things

yes i also understand the whole compasion and taking things a step at a time with people but there comes a point where you look at where your tax dollars are going and you ask yourself if these people really need the governments help then why are they still doing drugs like these



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Well they are the lowest of the low in society so i wouldn't care if they did lose their privileges.

If they had their privileges taken away years ago then Obama would of never of got into power since most of his supporters were ghetto trash.


Screw you buddy *middle finger* you're the trash, people like you are atrocious and I hope you choke on your diamonds.



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm especially bitter about the subject because I'm in the middle class. There isn't a single benefit I qualify for by the Government that I pay for.. yet I see more often than not lazy ignorant people accepting those same benefits. Sure some people genuinely need the benefit, truly fall on hard times.. but I only ever see abusers. Whether I'm at a store and I see half the people in line using food stamp cards to buy all their groceries while I have to juggle bills to buy mine. Or while I'm in class and other students talk about their student aid and how they need more to buy this and that .. while I have to pay in cash because I qualify for nothing. All because I'm "well off" according to society.

It's not that I want to see people suffer, or that I think "poor" people are "lower" than me.. it's that we work our asses off .. pay into a blatantly corrupt system .. then watch as handouts are given to the rich, given to the poor, and the middle class gets the shaft. It makes me truly .. deeply.. despise this country..



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Well they are the lowest of the low in society so i wouldn't care if they did lose their privileges.

If they had their privileges taken away years ago then Obama would of never of got into power since most of his supporters were ghetto trash.


You seem to not realize many recipients of food stamps are also people who have been disabled, are elderly or simply need help caring for a special needs child. Not all of them are "Ghetto Trash" as you put it. And while on the subject, I would like to point out that food stamps were around long before "Ghetto Trash" supporters knew about them. It started out as the Federal Surplus Relief Corporation (FSRC) in the early 1930's.



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550
reply to post by Laokin
 


if someone is doing drugs on nobodies dime (there not on foodstamps or welfare) then its doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the people who are on the governments dime and they still pay for drugs with money that they should be useing for there well being or there families well being

i understand that it is almost beyond impossible to people to cold turkey heroin and crack coc aine because of how addictive it is but they can always find help before going about applying for these things

yes i also understand the whole compasion and taking things a step at a time with people but there comes a point where you look at where your tax dollars are going and you ask yourself if these people really need the governments help then why are they still doing drugs like these



If you care so much about where your tax dollars are going, then there are much bigger fish to fry my friend.

Priority, no?

(I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just think there are many, many, more important issues than this that should come first.)

Also, we should address the drug problem in a sane and humane way, and halt this "War on Drugs" at once. There are better solutions to drug control problems and if we are going to punish users, we should evaluate our control systems first.

Oh, and if you live in California, you very well could be on welfare and growing your own pot. It's decriminalized there.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This voting thing won't be around much longer, so # it! By the way the guy in the article is right!



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by yamammasamonkey
This voting thing won't be around much longer, so # it! By the way the guy in the article is right!



BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!





posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This one's easy...

Druggies don't vote...they're too paranoid.

Muchado 'bout nothing



Here's something that's REALLY important...

Create a new constitutional amendment
Call it the ummmm.......

"Patriotic American Freedom Voting Transparency Act"

1. Outlaw electronic voting
2. Paper ballot only
3. Public count
4. One vote per SS#, proof of ID



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If you are not paying the salary of the elected officials, you should have no say in who gets elected. Humiliated by shopping in govt stores? How about being grateful that they live in a society that doesn't let them rot on the streets like the Dalits in India. Drug test for benefits? Big deal I have to take random drug tests in order to keep my job so that persons on welfare can get paid

I am noticing many of the outraged posters are the very same that defend Darwinism. How about a little consistency? Are you for survival of the fittest or not? For all of you worshipers of Alice Bailey, Helena Blavatski, Margaret Sanger and the Eugenics movement, I figured letting others starve to death to reduce the world population would be embraced.



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Who ever authored this article is an elitist pig...

As far as the voting aspect, woopie doo doo... Our votes mean very little or even anything to the electoral college.. Give you an awesome example, Al gore back in 2000, won the popular vote, and I mean big time!!

yet George Bush, after the recount bullcrap won the electoral


The American people still did not see the corruption and lack of power they had then, since then we have seen the patriot act and even more bullcrap passed to take even more rights away


only in america, does a president become a president when the majority of its people vote for another person, and they lose to the electoral
..

Now as far as food stamp recipients if your on food stamps I would suggest you do whatever you have to to get off of them.. I am so not cool with people using ebt cards to buy fountain drinks at 711 or donuts Hell, I have seen college kids get hundred dollars or so in food stamps each month heading to the grocery store to buy tbones and fillets man...

Ya the Food stamp system is one of the most corrupt parts of this dichotomy we call the American society, I think if your on food stamps you should at least have the class to try to get off of them, but then again...

Homosapiens continue to let me down every single day...



anyhow this is another one of those knee jerk emotional reactive threads on ats..

I would love to contribute in a thread that was ingenious on ats, instead of stuff like this...

rants and rave threads, that lead to people replying to each other saying how they repulse one another for having an opinion..



edit on 29-2-2012 by CorteZZ because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof
 


I am on food stamps and I'll tell you... I completely disagree with this idiot. How ridiculous to set penalties on people because some of us need the help during rough times. I don't plan on being on food stamps for too much longer now that I was finally able to find work. Not being able to vote, that is crap. Not that I vote anyway, still it's our right as citizens of the united states. Next thing you know they will have classification of different types of citizenship. Drug testing I can somewhat agree with due to the fact that I know plenty people who sell their food stamps at fifty cents on the dollar. I myself have done this once or twice when I was in my open addiction.

Personally I don't give a crap if some of you are going to say system abuser or what not. Your damn right I'm going to take advantage of the system if it is available to me. Buying from a government supplier is nothing new. That's how it was back in the day for people with food stamps. It was called focus hope. And they had government blocks of cheese and what not. However I believe that the government wants to stimulate the economy by using non government foods.

Thank god for food stamps, however I do believe that it is to easy to obtain. I did my application over the Internet, the very next day I got the phone call, a week later I'm getting 200 usd a month to use on whatever food I want. However there are some restrictions, you cannot buy food that is already prepared or tobacco or alcohol.

And oh yea about the druggies and whatnot, in rehab they recommend food stamps to former drug addicts. Because when your in an open addiction, you don't eat barely. Being healthy is part of the recovery process. Keep in mind most drug addict don't have a job or money to buy food in order to get healthy.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Enemyc0mbatant because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550
 


I couldn't agree with you more. I don't see a problem with the drug testing. Maybe it's an inconvenience, but when you're getting free food and I'm working long hours to pay for the food on my table, I don't see a simple drug test as a problem. There are plenty of people who work to provide for their children, but need the help. Those are the people who should get food stamps. I know this crackhead girl who has two children, and asked me to buy her food stamps from her. I wanted to knock her rotting teeth out. I think the world of her kids, and it makes me sick that she puts her drugs first. Someone like that should not be getting all the help she is getting. She also won't work, and is fully capable of doing so. Sorry about the rant, but it really gets me worked up when I think of her! I say drug test them all. But for pete's sake, you can't take someone's voting rights away.



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt
 





hey guys... I hate to burst anyone's anti-tobacco, puritanical balloon but... the moment that you make it an offense to smoke cigarettes, for any reason... any at all, the next thing you'll hear is the sound of big brother coming to piss test you for eating the wrong foods, drinking the wrong fluids and above all, reading the wrong websites.


I totally agree, why are people not able to see this? If you take away my rights, you are removing your own, so simple, but few realize? I also do not smoke, but it really isn't about smoking, is it?

I smell fascism rearing it's ugly head. Given the control of the elite, how long do you think before we are there?



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof
 




I was on foodstamps for a while.


Thanks. All I needed to know.


Yeah, that's right. Just brush me off as less than you because I've received assistance. Yup, my opinion doesn't matter because I'm less than you. I wish I could sit around with old men wearing aprons like you. It would be sooo awesome.

You are a despicable human being, and I'm glad I don't know you.



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof
 


Ahahaha, for christ sake! Surfdom in America... say it aint so!

Put them down, keep them down, and silence them... what could go wrong



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof
 


I only disagree with the first one, because he is bascially saying voting rights are based on your income.
edit on 29-2-2012 by knightsofcydonia because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CorteZZ
Who ever authored this article is an elitist pig...

As far as the voting aspect, woopie doo doo... Our votes mean very little or even anything to the electoral college.. Give you an awesome example, Al gore back in 2000, won the popular vote, and I mean big time!!

yet George Bush, after the recount bullcrap won the electoral


The American people still did not see the corruption and lack of power they had then, since then we have seen the patriot act and even more bullcrap passed to take even more rights away


only in america, does a president become a president when the majority of its people vote for another person, and they lose to the electoral
..

Now as far as food stamp recipients if your on food stamps I would suggest you do whatever you have to to get off of them.. I am so not cool with people using ebt cards to buy fountain drinks at 711 or donuts Hell, I have seen college kids get hundred dollars or so in food stamps each month heading to the grocery store to buy tbones and fillets man...

Ya the Food stamp system is one of the most corrupt parts of this dichotomy we call the American society, I think if your on food stamps you should at least have the class to try to get off of them, but then again...

Homosapiens continue to let me down every single day...



anyhow this is another one of those knee jerk emotional reactive threads on ats..

I would love to contribute in a thread that was ingenious on ats, instead of stuff like this...

rants and rave threads, that lead to people replying to each other saying how they repulse one another for having an opinion..



edit on 29-2-2012 by CorteZZ because: (no reason given)


There is actually quite of bit of bonding behind the scenes via U2U amongst parties from all sides of this debate. Don't judge so hard -- things aren't always what they seem.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
47
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join