It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US soldier who gave info to Wikileak nominated for nobel peace prize!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Ah! Take that Obama!

U.S. serviceman who leaked info to Wikileaks nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Is U.S. Army Private Bradley Manning a hero for leaking classified government information to WikiLeaks, or is he a criminal? While public opinion is divided, that hasn't stopped the international community from nominating him for a Nobel Peace Prize.

In 2010, Manning allegedly obtained hundreds of thousands of U.S. Army documents, most pertaining to operations in Iraq, and tens of thousands pertaining to operations in Afghanistan. Among his charges, Manning is linked to video footage that depicts U.S. troops killing a journalist (warning: very graphic content) in Iraq, an event which the U.S. government allegedly concealed.

Manning has been charged with 22 separate crimes related to the leaks, and is currently being held by the government in Kuwait. The most serious of the charges, "aiding the enemy," carries the possibility of the death penalty.

Not that he has any chances of winning since it's often REAL criminals who win those... Al Gore, Obama, Kissinger, etc...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
deserve's one

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yeah... Others nominate him for a Peace Prize. I'll sit back and quietly hope a Military Trial nominates him for a firing squad or a good hanging. I have respect for WIki and Assange. It's taken a lot of thinking to sort out feelings on this but Assange isn't American in the first place...and he did what every News Organization has done for decades. He got the scoop and package of a lifetime and passed it along.

Little Bradley did nothing so honorable or noble. He violated an oath he freely took and volunteered to serve. Without any question, he gave aid and comfort to the enemies of our nation during a shooting war and ongoing conflicts around the world. He did all this by betraying himself, his oath and the service he freely volunteered for (That really is an important point) while benefiting from and enjoying all the pay and benefits FROM the very service he so gleefully betrayed.

Assange = Someone to respect...whether agreement ever figures into it.

Manning = Someone to see sentenced to the full and proper term Treason carries..whether agreement ever figures into it or not.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
awsome find man!

i would really be suprized if he wins this.

but like you said real criminals get the good stuff

peace

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

isent you lots oath to protect your country and contitution not murder inicont people,paid murder's

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Bringing into open government treason deserves firing squad?
Well, since the president of such government is a Noble prize winner, despite he never deserved it, it is possible...

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Have to agree with you
His oaths to the constitution the people as a whole and the country as a whole
Not to small groups or individual leaders
But to the nation
He was upholding his oath
All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to sit idle

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me how many people hold this traitor up as a hero or something.

For those that suddenly excuse deep and hardcore betrayl because you happen to like the results, consider this.

What group, cause or movement do YOU feel strongly enough about to give everything to and dedicate yourself to entirely. Is there one? Lets make this practical since it's really hard to say this with pure theory.

Lets say, for instance, We're talking Occupy. It could be the Tea Party..but I'll use Occupy for the example. How about, instead of this being Manning betraying the U.S. Army he joined, it's OWS. How about, someone in top leadership of OWS proper when it was still camped in Manhattan, had a serious change of heart? You haven't...OWS hasn't..but this one guy has a hardcore conscience issue for whatever reason, and he was a fully trusted person by all, right up to that point.

Now this person doesn't have the guts or class to announce to the rest of OWS that he's come to hate them....No. This person decides to stay right there. Contact the media..for whatever they can get out of it, to see every internal document and recordings of all the off-the-cuff discussions that happen between OWS leaders outside the GA circle.

Basically, due to the person's position and change of heart, they can and do sustain irreparable harm and damage to the movement and the individuals who TRUSTED this person with their cause and their very lives. It isn't hyperbole to anyone who was in that movement and in the camps. Life isn't an overstatement, either. Same logic applies.

So...... I'm a right leaning kind of guy. I ought to applaud the example inside the top levels of OWS turning traitor in-place and working to bring the whole thing down from within, right? Nope.... Despite many probably applauding such a person as brave and heroic...I'd see *THAT* person as being as filthy a traitor as Manning. Different sides...different ideology and RADICALLY different circumstances.

This isn't about all that though. This is about a simple, core issue. Trust and Honor. Manning showed he has absolutely NONE. ...and by the laws and regulations of the military he joined, by his own free choice, he should be tried, convicted and executed for it. It's the most basic principles involved here. Ideology isn't one of them at the heart of it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Just a point to clairfy.. Daniel Ellsburg brought things into the open. He risked his neck for it. I respect that man deeply for it. Manning didn't come into the open and hid like the rat he was until he was dug out by investigation.

If Manning had taken his data and publicly released it, to stand for his beliefs for all to see, it'd be night/day different. If he were standing to take his lumps as a man of principle and conscience, it'd be a world of difference. He did none of that and lived right to the end, as I believe he is. A dirty little rat. May he meet the fate of one.

It *MAY* make some right for the men I absolutely believe his leaks led to the deaths of. This I feel as a 100% cold certain FACT. Men died by his actions. Now...if he feels it was worth it, then stand like a man and say so. Be a Martyr and let it all mean something.....at least it wouldn't be playing the weasel right to the end.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Nobel Peace Prize?
Ooooooooooof course he will be nominated. He is working against the USA and broke his oath to serve America. The Nobel Peace Prize folks are not exactly USA-huggers. Anyways, he's in good company .. mass murdering pedophile Arafat and bomb-more-countries-than-Bush43 Obama.

The Nobel Peace Prize has turned into a sick joke.

+23 more 
posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
His oath is really to mankind, not the sickos running the US government.

He exposed the crimes of the elite and humanity thanks him for it.

Screw nationalism when it means starting illegal wars and committing war crimes... and hiding it because ``we're at war``... ridiculous excuse... same excuse used by Bush and Obama to suspend all rights ``because we're at war``.

Total bull.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Not long ago USA admitted all kind of sabotage activities all around the world from highest offices. So don't tell me about Mannig being a traitor. I don't see others being waterboarded, beaten and tried for their misconduct.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It was abundantly clear to his commanding officers that Manning was mentally ill. They ignored that fact and continued to allow him access to restricted material.

And the culture in his unit was such that anyone, frankly, could've walked in and stolen every scrap of information they had. Men walking in and out with CD's, mobile telephones, USB sticks ... you name it, the men did it.

It's his commanders who ought to be on trial for dereliction of duty, not a man who is/was mentally ill. And while they're on trial, it's time to introduce a vetting regime to military intelligence on the same lines as that missileers are subject to, in order to ensure this kind of thing never happens again.

As to the Nobel Peace Prize, there's a grand tradition of awarding it to people for whom an award is entirely inappropriate.

So why not give it to Manning ? He no more deserves it than anyone else currently in the service of the US Military.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
U.S. Army Private Bradley Manning fights bravely for the American way. Total disclosure is the only form of true democracy. Peace can only break out when the veil of secrecy is taken away from the military industrial complex.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If Manning is mentally ill, what are those mass murderers who control the world? Paradigm of intelligence and ethics?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

His oath is what it says it is. It isn't what he or anyone else wishes it said or would like to make believe it says. The oath a United States Citizen takes upon enlistment into our Military is clear and without any room for misunderstanding.

-CITE- 10 USC Sec. 502 01/07/2011

-EXPCITE- TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES Subtitle A - General Military Law PART II - PERSONNEL CHAPTER 31 - ENLISTMENTS

-HEAD- Sec. 502. Enlistment oath: who may administer

-STATUTE- (a) Enlistment Oath. - Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath: "I, __________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (b) Who May Administer. - The oath may be taken before the President, the Vice-President, the Secretary of Defense, any commissioned officer, or any other person designated under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense.

-SOURCE- (Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 17, Sec. 501; Pub. L. 87-751, Sec. 1, Oct. 5, 1962, 76 Stat. 748; renumbered Sec. 502, Pub. L. 90- 235, Sec. 2(a)(1)(A), Jan. 2, 1968, 81 Stat. 753; Pub. L. 101-189, div. A, title VI, Sec. 653(a)(1), Nov. 29, 1989, 103 Stat. 1462; Pub. L. 109-364, div. A, title V, Sec. 595(a), Oct. 17, 2006, 120 Stat. 2235.)
Source

I'm good with people who have a problem with that Oath or simple can't follow it. Fine... Don't take it and don't join the U.S. Army. He only became a traitor when he DID join, DID take the oath above and then DID betray every last word of it at the expense of those around him, who trusted him with their lives.

I see your point.. I really do. My solution to it is simple. Don't join...Or quit. Guys are busted out of the military every day. Someone wanting out badly enough can find a way..or..he could have done what he did in the full light of publoic disclosure. That's still criminal, but it wouldn't have been as vile as what he DID do.

Anyway.. There is the official Oath he took according to Uncle Sam and the legal code. He gave Oath to his nation, his President and his Commanding Officer. He betrayed all 3.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Slavery was always a contract and defenders of slavery will go for a kill if the contract is broken. They will also resort to murder and terror in order to force people to sign this contract. No contract: no food no right to live.
Heil!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The Noble Peace Prize is becoming a joke, if it has not already become one. Exactly what has Manning (and by extension Wikileaks) done to promote peace?

I would like to know who in the "international community" has nominated him. The names would be a telling addition to this story. Seems rather silly to me and just a stunt. Ridiculous.

Regards

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Anyway.. There is the official Oath he took according to Uncle Sam and the legal code. He gave Oath to his nation, his President and his Commanding Officer. He betrayed all 3.

The person taking the oath swears "faith and allegiance" to the constitution and not the president or his commanding officers. He does swear to follow their orders but the Uniform Code of Military Justice states that he must follow "lawful orders" and is obligated to disobey "unlawful orders", especially those that are in direct violation of the Constitution.
edit on 29-2-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Bradley Manning was upholding his oath to protect the Constitution. Exposing the war crimes of an illegal war does not make him a criminal. He should be given a medal.....the Peace Prize would do nicely in this case.

The true patriot is not the man who defends a corrupt government. The true patriot is the man who defends the Constitution from that corrupt government.
edit on 2-29-2012 by groingrinder because: Edited for clarity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join