Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

My first moon pics.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Tonight's efforts,before the darned clouds came.
There were thin clouds,so they are not as crisp.
And these are more screen shots,as I was trying to make a steady video.

But I caught my first Moon "anomaly" I think!
See picture 3 and 4.

3.Anomaly marked with red brackets:

4.Another shot,showing this crater cluster outlined in blue,which should help tell me find the same area on the Moon another time..

So what is that dark line?
It looks different to all the other bits of the moon I have seen.
I'm not saying its aliens or a Russian tunnel,but it is a different looking feature to what I have seen so far.

Any ideas what it is?

edit on 3/3/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Careful first it's not a hair on your camera mirror. Reason that springs to mind first is I bought an old 300d to try some lenses on and I freaked when I found all my "great condition" second hand lenses were filled with dust.

But then I noticed all the dots and hairs were in the same spot with each lens. So it's the camera's fault after all.

Not saying that's what you have there but if we find out exactly where that is on the moon, and you capture some more images of the same spot, we can see if it's a permanent feature.

Not that that will help really. I heard a story in an old book that there are bridges on the moon that appear and disappear within hours so then we're back to square one. I'm not much help am I,

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I am 100% sure that this was no hair on the lens(That was the first thing I checked).
I knew it wasn't,as it moved with the moon,not the camera.

I hope to prove that in the YT vid,in the next day or so.

It is literally the first ever moon anomaly that I have captured myself on my own rig.
Hmm,I expect its totally normal,but looks odd to me as an ametuer.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Looking forward to finding out what that is then. We must get a moon map and find the name of that place in your pics. I've can only recall the sea of tranquility and dunno where it is exactly. Terrible isn't it. We should all know the names of bits on the moon, we look at it all the time.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I think I have nailed it:
Here is the location of the dark line:

And I think this is what it actually is:

An interesting feature this night is The Straight Wall. It appears as a thin dark line. It's about 70 miles long. It's actually a fault line formed from a moonquake in the ancient past

www.pa.msu.edu...

Here is someone's picture of the same feature:

So no alien tunnel this time..

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

You believe that "fault line" spiel?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Seconal

Haha-Who knows really until we can go up there and take a proper look?

I must admit it looks rather straight to be a fault line,but I am no expert.
Not sure how anyone can deduce if its a fault line or not?

bit more info from wiki:

When the sun illuminates the feature at an oblique angle at about day 8 of the Moon's orbit, the Rupes Recta casts a wide shadow that gives it the appearance of a steep cliff.
The fault has a length of 110 km, a typical width of 2–3 km, and a height of 240–300 m. Thus although it appears to be a vertical cliff in the lunar surface, in actuality the grade of the slope is relatively shallow.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Ooh, the straight wall is also called Rupes Recta. You took a photo of Rupes Recta. Brill!

It's nice to learn a bit about the moon. I know nothing.

THE STRAIGHT WALL.--Sometimes called "the railroad," is a remarkable and almost unique formation on the E. side of Birt, extending for about 65 miles from N.W. to S.E. in a nearly straight line, terminating on the south at a very peculiar mountain group, the shape of which has been compared to a stag's horn, but which perhaps more closely resembles a sword-handle,--the wall representing the blade.

Some closer-ups here.
The Straight Wall

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
[mor

Looks pretty good to me although I will check out your inital publication. Always been fascinated with space. That's a good camera you get that at a box store or a regular electronic store, and does it come with all the bells and whistles?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Nice shots again. That wasn't a full moon was it? Have you noticed all the phases there seems to be a new phase not mentioned on the calendar, or perhaps I overlooked it the one phase was at the right side I seem to be seeing it at the bottom of the moon now. I've seen while out at night and I believe there are postings of it on Youtube.
No tunnel I see also no structures so far. So much for pseudo science guys.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Camera from Ebay -just came with standard 18-55mm lens.
I use an adaptor to fit it to the scope,after taking the lens off.

Thanks for looking at the pics Bud!
More to follow soon.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
OK folks,as promised here is my first ever Moon Video.
I filmed the Moon through my scope,but I think my Bro has made the whole thing watchable with his editing and sound skills.

I am proud of this one.
If you have a good connection,view it in 720 HD.

But it does not have my footage of the "straight wall."
That will have to be in video 2,in a day or so.
Thanks all.
edit on 4/3/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: extra letters moved about for your reading pleasure as always

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Lovely pics. I have a question, are you interested in photography as a career or astronomy or both? I am perhaps wrong to think you are young. For someone who is just beginning you show great promise as a photographer.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Absolutely breathtaking! Proud? You better be - that vid is spectacular! I love it!

I'd like to learn how you took the pics too! I'd love to get a few close ups of Etna like that!

Really amazing photos! Stunning... WOW WOW WOW!

Thanks for making my Monday morning!

peace

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

Lovely pics. I have a question, are you interested in photography as a career or astronomy or both? I am perhaps wrong to think you are young. For someone who is just beginning you show great promise as a photographer.

Hey thank you!
Its just a hobby at the moment,although I did a 2year photography course in the early 90's-just before everything went digital,so I still remember the basics.
I'm 37 now,so not that young.

Originally posted by silo13

Absolutely breathtaking! Proud? You better be - that vid is spectacular! I love it!

I'd like to learn how you took the pics too! I'd love to get a few close ups of Etna like that!

Hey thanks Silo-
Yeah,Etna would be awesome to shoot-you could make slow motion shots of individual bits of lava flying about.

All I have done so far is just get the camera and telescope connected up together,then its just a matter of aiming,and letting the technology do the hard work.

The next step will be to get a variable zoom adapter,and start learning how to track further objects.
That should allow me to pick up more detail on planets,and even attempt some other galaxies and nebulae.
I think the Orion Nebula is supposed to be a good one to start with,as its not too hard to locate-it sits just under the 3 stars which make up Orion's belt.

One day...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think the bright white crater in this pic from tonight is called "Aristarchus"

More possible moon quake ridges nearby maybe.

the-moon.wikispaces.com...

And here is a shot of the South pole region from tonight:

Heavy crater damage.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yep,I have checked and that first pic in my last post is Aristarchus and Herodotus-two old Greek dudes,each with their own crater.

One of the wiggly ridges has got a great name:

Schroter's Valley.

Here are some two incredible pics of the area taken by a Lunar orbiter:

And this one,looks like a lovely cliff top road,with maybe a few castles set on the edge along the route.
But maybe just moon rocks.

the-moon.wikispaces.com...

Now they are cool photos..

I want an orbital telescope.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Very cool!

I love photography and I have a Canon 7d myself.

What did it cost you for that telescope and needed attachments?

I may have missed it, but where abouts do you go when you take these pictures? I don't mean an actual location, but are you in a city or out in the country when you take these. Light pollution would kill taking these sorts of pictures from near a city I would light.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by blahblah454

Wow a 7D..Nice camera!
My scope cost approx £800.
Eyepiece kit approx £100
But the scope and eyepiece's cost a tad more nowadays.

Two different adapters,1 prime focus,1 variable projection cost approx £60 for both.
EOS T ring cost approx £15

Whole lot,just under £1000(not including the camera which was £400)

As for the location I shoot from,its semi rural North Wales-there is some light pollution from the odd street light,but its not as bad as in a town.
Its about 900feet above sea level as well,which helps-when the sky is clear at least(which it isn't most of the time sadly.
Thanks for looking!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the info!

Getting gear to accomplish something something like this is definitely in my to-do book!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join