It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staffer Refers Mustache Bill to Committee, Without Congressman's Consent.... And it's a real Bill!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Your tax dollars at work, they have enough time up there in D.C. to come up with this nonsense? It would be funny, if it weren't so obvious we need people up there with common sense and not totally oblivious to the problems in this country or self-serving. Of all the ridiculous things to tax people on.

Daniel Halper

After barnstorming the Nation’s Capitol in support of the proposed Stache Act (details and white paper here), the office of of [sic] Maryland 6th district U.S. Rep. Roscoe Bartlett informed the American Mustache Institute that the congressman has begun the process of ensuring the‘Stache Act becomes law by passing the proposal to the House Ways and Means Committee for study — an essential first step for tax legislation.

So I called Bartlett’s office to see if something so silly could possibly be real. Sure enough, it is—but there’s a wrinkle: Congressman Bartlett was never aware that the bill had been referred to the committee in his name.

edit on 29-2-2012 by 1loserel2 because: change wording

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This tax break would be relevant to my interests.
And actually a great idea. People do spend quite a bit of money on personal grooming.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

“The Stache Act (Stimulus to Allow for Critical Hair Expenses) aims to earn a well-deserved $250 annual tax deduction for every Mustached American for expenditures on mustache grooming supplies,”

That could get expensive if it passes.

Movember
us.movember.com...

During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. With their Mo’s, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men.

I wonder if they have to have their moustache all year to qualify for the tax, or could they take 1/12 of the proposed tax deduction to claim for Movember

At least it's a deduction, instead of a credit, which costs the government a little less

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
When I read this story this morning I had to double check I wasn't at The Onion. Then I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Now I just don't know what to think. Does a woman waxing her mustache count as grooming?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Yes, I know I thought it was a joke myself when I saw it. I don't know about waxing mustaches for women, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about Botox injections. They sure are an embarrassement. So sad its funny in a mediocre kind of way. No wonder their approval ratings are so low.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I've got a Scott Ian-esque beard... Do I qualify?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
No coincidence that the demise of the mustache has coincided with the wussification of the American male.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

Scott ian should get a huge tax break for his! Anthrax!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I believe the Politically correct term is "sensitive male". What happened to men who could change their own tires? I know i can! And i have a mustache!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think the refund you receive shouldn't be based on how much you spend on grooming supplies but how impressive the mustache in question is.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well where does this end?

First it is a tax break for Mustache grooming supplies, but what about people use use shampoo? What about women who wear make up? Get their nails done?

This is stupid, we do not need a tax break. The solution is simple, if it cost too much to groom your mustache, then shave it off.
edit on 29-2-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
This is stupid, we do not need a tax break. The solution is simple, if it cost too much to groom your mustache, then shave it off.

YOU SHAVE YOUR FACE OFF! Have you seen the price of razor cartridges lately? I'd rather grow out my Scott Ian (movement to name that form of beard the Scott Ian-all for the movement say aye) and add a mustache to pick up the deduction than pay $15 for a couple weeks of razors.
edit on 2/29/12 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
You state in your title it is a "real Bill"; but I have been unable to locate it on Thomas.loc.gov.

Nothing shows up searching for "STACHE Act" -- not even "referred to committee" -- which typically shows up when a piece of legislation has been presented. It cannot be found to even be submitted to the "House Ways and Means" committee.

Parody pushed as news. The ATS way.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I think more Republicans should get behind Rep. Bartlett's Stache Act. Reason being, we all know when a politician is lying (when their mouths move). If they all grow big thick 'staches it'll cover their mouths and deprive us of this primary lie detection tool. It's a win for politicians!

What kind of office is Bartlett running anyhow that his staff has this kind of time on their hands to come up with this nonsense? Sounds like the American taxpayers are getting their money's worth here.

new topics

top topics

join