It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How ugly will IRAN get this Friday???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
With Iran's long awaited parliamentary elections taking place on March 2nd, how ugly will it get and how much will we hear about it?

There's already talk that internet connections and cell phone use is being cut off and it looks like Khamenei's camp is blocking Ahmadinejad's camp's websites.

Pro-Ahmadinejad websites blocked By order of the judiciary, three websites that support Ahmadinejad and the group aligned with him for the Majles elections, Jebheh Paaydaari-e Enghelab-e Eslami (JPEE, or Durable Front of the Islamic Revolution) have been blocked by the judiciary.

The websites are Bibak News, 598, and Serat News. Last week, Saeed Zakeri, political editor of 9 Dey, was arrested. The magazine is published by the cleric Hamid Rasaei, a hardline Majles deputy who supports Ahmadinejad and the JPEE.

Not only that, but both sides fear that the Iranians that want reform will boycott the elections.

So, what does Khamenei do?

Khamenei's fatwa on voting

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has issued a fatwa which declares that "those who are qualified to vote, and can vote, must vote." The edict also states, "Any candidate whose qualifications have been accepted by the Guardian Council is qualified to be elected, but between the qualified and most qualified the people should elect, based on wisdom, the latter."

How ugly do they think this might get?

85,000 Basijis to "provide security for the elections"

Brigadier General Esmail Ahmadi Moghaddam, the commander of the national police, said that, in addition to the forces under his command, 85,000 members of the Basij militia will "provide security for the elections." The hardliners that are opposed to Ahmadinejad have been concerned about possible clashes between his supporters and their own.

Read more inside the link to hear about Iranians that plan on sitting this election out.

www.pbs.org...

So, will Khamenei or Ahmadinejad's camp prevail? Previous reports show that the clerics have already blocked as many Ahmadinejad supporting candidates from the elections that they could identify. Just over half of the candidates that applied were allowed to run.

Khamenei predicts a turnout of over 60% of the voters. Will he get it? I'm betting their news sources say they do, even if they don't.

It should get interesting this week!!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
How many people from the media or pushing reform have been arrested or shut down leading up to the elections?

The most popular and influential opposition groups have been outlawed or forced into silence.

They include the reformists -- Islamic Iran Participation Front (IIPF), the Organization of Islamic Revolution Mojahedin (OIRM), and the National Trust Party -- groups allied with the reformists -- the Executives of Construction Party, which is close to Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani; the leftist Association of Combatant Clerics (ACC) and Association of Teachers and Scholars of Qom; and the Nationalist-Religious Coalition -- the nationalist National Front, and several other small groups.

Meanwhile, hardline political groups have proliferated like wild mushrooms, with no restrictions whatsoever on their activities. The most important university and former university activists -- brave men and women such as Bahareh Hedayat, Hassan Asadi Zeidabadi, Ali Jamali, and Shiva Nazar Ahari -- have also been jailed. Their organizations, the Office for Consolidation of Unity (OCU, or Tahkim-e Vahdat) and the Organization of University Graduates (OUG, or Advar-e Tahkim-e Vahdat), have been decimated. The hardliners have created a fake OCU.

Forty-two of the country's most influential journalists are in prison, making Iran the worst state in the world in terms of jailing members of the press. Brave men and women, such as Dr. Ahmad Zeidabadi, Keyvan Samimi, Bahman Ahmadi Amooee, Masoud Bastani, Mohammad Davari, Mehdi Mahmoudian, Hengameh Shahidi, and Fatemeh Kheradmand are languishing in jail, or about to be sent there.

Most of the reformist newspapers, magazines, and other publications have been closed. The very few that are still allowed to publish heavily censor themselves, lest they be quickly shuttered. Iran ranks near the bottom in global rankings of freedom of the press. Some of the most courageous attorneys representing the political prisoners -- men and women such as Nasrin Sotoudeh and Abdolfattah Soltani -- have also been imprisoned. In effect, the hardliners dare the attorneys to work on behalf of the political prisoners at the risk of their own freedom.

www.pbs.org...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Here's what our friends at PressTV have to say about the matter:

Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei predicts a high turnout in Iran’s upcoming parliamentary elections, describing the event as yet another firm slap in the face of the global arrogance.

Can you imagine a genuine democracy describing their election as "a slap in the face of global arrogance?"

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Depends on how much of a budget America has been saving I suppose.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Because we all know that there's no arrogance coming from Iran. They are so humble.

IRGC Commander: Iran to Show Naval Power to World

english.farsnews.com...

Iran-US Confrontation: IRGC Commander Says Iran Has Upper-Hand in Persian Gulf

english.farsnews.com...

Optimized Missile-Launching Frigates Delivered to IRGC Navy

english.farsnews.com...

Leader: Iranian Nation to Show Strong Will to Enemies by High Turnout in Elections

english.farsnews.com...

And those are just one websites headlines for THIS MORNING!

Not to mention how Iran is patting itself on the back for the Arab Spring by relabeling it the "Islamic Awakening". They claim that they paved the way and are the model for how this revolution should take place.

Ahmadinejad: Iran is a model for the world

articles.cnn.com...:MIDDLEEAST

Commander Terms Iran's Islamic Revolution Role Model for World Nations

www.iranian.com...

ETA: And didn't you know?

Iran economy, among top economies in world

abna.ir...

edit on 29-2-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
First, there is no democracy in Iran.It is a theocracy, leaded by religious nuts.

Secondly, doesn't matter who win, they will get bombed anyway.

Third, their people (most of them religious fanatics - 70% of them are borned after 1979 and were raised under "Death to USA" and "Death to Israel" chants every friday in last 33 years) don't care who wins, that is why the presence is at 50%.

Fourth, the iranian elections are just only for dumbs, especialy those who believe Iran is a democracy...LOL.

Fifth, they will get bombed anyway...Damn, i already told this.Nvm, its going to happend anyway.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Websites blocked and a fatwa on voting (go out and vote the way I want or else you will die and go to hell).
Iran is such a lovely place, so full of freedom and love. I think I'll convert and go live there right away.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The Fix Is In

Why the coming election in Iran will be the fakest one yet.

The upcoming vote, indeed, is shaping up to be even less free and fair than ones in the past.

These parliamentary elections come at a turbulent time. Domestic mismanagement and international sanctions have reduced the economy to a shambles. Many Iranians blame the ideologically inflexible Shiite theocrats for their nation's internal woes and global isolation. Iranian youth, who make up over 50 percent of the population, are rejecting clerically-dictated behavioral codes. Even President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, having sensed the shifting winds of popular sentiment, has begun opposing the mandates and mores of his clerical overlords. The political discontent that crystallized around the reformist Green Path of Hope (or Green Movement) during June 2009's rigged presidential election, only to be violently suppressed by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Basij paramilitaries, continues to simmer.

Yet, despite the mounting frustration of Iran's citizens, events during the run-up to the parliamentary elections suggest that regime change through domestically-inspired, popularly determined politics is less likely than ever before. Faced with the most serious political, social, and economic challenges to their rule in three decades, the ayatollahs are manipulating the representational process not just to thwart reform but to ensure that all avenues for change are shut down.

www.foreignpolicy.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
During a period of post election transition or chaos would be a great time for a conflict to start, especially if they have no communications or building in which to meet.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Isn't that the truth?

Here's more info from article I linked above:

Seeking to generate voters' sympathy for the regime, the ayatollahs are doing their best to goad the U.S. and Israel into confrontation.

A war with Israel or the U.S. would be a boon for the ayatollahs. Not only would it boost their sagging legitimacy by compelling Iranians to rally around the flag; it would also give the clerics a perfect pretext to cancel the elections (under Article 68 of the Islamic Republic's Constitution), round up the reformists, and silence all dissent under the guise of national survival.

Consequently, if one of Iran's adversaries decides to take on the ayatollahs militarily, mere tactical strikes will not sway Iran's despots. Only complete elimination of the ayatollahs' means of enforcing tyranny upon the Iranian people will establish conditions for significant and enduring change at home, which would then pave the way for conforming to international norms.

Unfortunately...

The bottom line is that representative governance is unlikely to emerge in Iran either during the forthcoming elections or in the future so long as the theocracy endures through force and freedom-seekers lack the might to overthrow it.

Supreme Leader Khamenei regards all attempts at sociopolitical change as meddling in affairs of state -- something that he will not brook.

Given the circumstances, it's not surprising to hear some Iranians make comments like this one:

"If the supreme leader could kill all of us, he would so to ensure he has no opponents."

www.foreignpolicy.com...,2
edit on 29-2-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
How odd... normally, this thread would have been flooded by members with handles like "PatriotUSA" and "TrueBlueRedWhiteAndBlueLover" denouncing these reports as propaganda and proclaiming Iran as the only true democracy on Earth. Is it possible that the reports are true? Are different factions of the Iranian "government" actually blocking each others' access to the Internet?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
With so many journalists in jail already and Iran continually blaming the West for it's outside interference of their upcoming election, I have a hard time believing this one!

World Reporters to Cover Parliamentary Elections in Iran

TEHRAN (FNA)- Hundreds of foreign reporters are in Iran to cover the Friday parliamentary elections in the country.

Director General of Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry's Foreign Media Department Mohammad Javad Aqajari said some 350 foreign reporters affiliated to 174 international media will cover the news on the parliament elections slated for Friday.

A total of 80 visas have so far been issued to 53 foreign media from Germany, Austria, Spain, the US, Ukraine, Italy, Brazil, Belgium, Turkey, Czech Republic, Russia, France, Japan, Finland, Canada, South Korea, Lebanon and Venezuela. Some 55 reporters have earlier arrived in Tehran.

english.farsnews.com...

I'm not buying it. Iranian propaganda is going to be knee deep over the next couple of days!
edit on 1-3-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

If Ayatollah Khaminei gets control of power, i'd be expecting to see a mushroom cloud over Saudi Arabia the next morning, and maybe even that night. Supposedly if King Abdullah blah blah blah gets killed the Mahdi will return, according to some of their propaganda.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah, those corrupt Iranian leaders and their (allegedly) rigged elections.

America leads by example to the world in it's free and fair elections.... oh, wait a minute.... except all those rigged ones, using dodgy digital stations, uncounted ballots, the dead voting en masse...etc..etc...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Not uglier then Netanyahou himself
nobody cant beat a guy that soulless
with no compassion at all for human lifes

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

LOL! I think they're going to take their chances waiting out the life of King Abdullah since he'll be 88 years old August 1st. They might try to help him along with an "Islamic Awakening" in Saudi Arabia though!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I'll be curious to see what kind of uprising might occur after our next Presidential election, because I expect it to get ugly, but with less political prisoners and executions.

Not sure when the last time was that I heard about a fair election, really.

I'll be watching for Russia's election next on March 4th.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

LOL! I think they're going to take their chances waiting out the life of King Abdullah since he'll be 88 years old August 1st. They might try to help him along with an "Islamic Awakening" in Saudi Arabia though!

Yeah he is old, i forgot about that. Still those semitic peoples live for a long time. I'm expecting something to happen when doctors pull the plug on Ariel Sharon, he's been in a coma for several years and Rabbi Kaduri had a vision concerning that before he died. I don't know what the wait is on for Abdullah.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
wow Arial S is still under... thats incredible..

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
No brainwashing here!

Others said they were voting to make a statement to higher powers. “I don’t know any candidate but my goal is making God happy. The United States and Israel are God’s enemies, so by voting I’ll make them sad and God happy,” said Zahra, 25, a university student, who did not give her last name.

www.washingtonpost.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join