It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Find Revives 'Jesus Tomb' Controversy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatcherMan
I always wonder why is it that people seem to hate Christianity the most, at least in America.

They don't. But there are number of factors involved that would make you think so.

Christianity is still the number one religion in America, so if you're going to dislike a religion, then that's the one you're probably going to dislike. A lot of Christian sects have active and annoying proselytizing activities, out there going door to door bugging people. Add to that the number of people exposed to bad versions and stupid teachings of it, and you've got a pretty good number ready to hate it.

Additionally, Christianity has a very long history of praising martyrs that goes all the way back to Androcles and the Lion and before. It loves that classic "us versus them" argument that goes, "How could this or that person face death for this belief if it wasn't true?" Well, they're crazy and/or stupid, that's how. So you don't think a religion that praises martyrs might occasionally escalate a situation to create some, do you? Or maybe exaggerate the actual hatred people feel for the religion? After all, any religion's biggest threat is not hatred, but indifference. Ask the Jews.

And speaking of which, don't forget that all religions carry with them the implication that they are "The Truth," and that anybody not believing in it is just at least dead wrong and at worst going to burn in a blazing Hell. The minute you profess your belief in something for which there is no proof yet claim it to be true, you're basically saying to other people, "You're ignorant, and I'm better than you." Curiously enough, people don't like that, particularly if their own crazy religion is telling them that you're ignorant and that they're better than you.

So what you have is that people don't hate Christianity as much as you think (don't flatter yourself), but those who do actively hate it probably have a pretty good reason to.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

As an evolutionary Christian mystic, I found that post hurtful, offensive, and highly ignorant. Just giving you feedback Mr. knowitall who appears to have assumed everything but who knows nothing about the Christian experience as a valid theological framework by which to understand one's place in the creation. It's so typical though, and not even creative really, how bland.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have become convinced that the final resting place of Jesus' physical remains are in India probably near Kashmir, and am slowing outlining that thesis in this thread.

The Jews and all modern religious traditions originated in ancient India

However, having dropped his body (at about the age of 73, as a jolly old white bearded man), he didn't waste any time confronting Saul on the Road to Damascus from the abode of light, which would have been approximately 63 years after his "departure" from Jerusalem, with bells rining out, a chest of gold (reparation) in the back of his one horse carriage, his bride at his side (although tragically assassinated on the road), laughing all the way - all will be explained in more depth.. don't assume it's crazy or approach with contempt, prior to investigation, is all I ask.

Cheers,

NAM

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Well said Blue Shift

Having lived in countries with other religions beside Christianity - they too can be very annoying, in general I've found Shinto and Buddhism the least so, Islam and Christianity the most so

I have become convinced that the final resting place of Jesus' physical remains are in India probably near Kashmir, and am slowing outlining that thesis in this thread.

Physical remains of JC? My that sounds down right heretical! lol
edit on 29/2/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Physical remains of JC? My that sounds down right heretical! lol

Heretical? Yes, certainly, make no bones about it!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
As an evolutionary Christian mystic, I found that post hurtful, offensive, and highly ignorant.

I was reading the Cloud of Unknowing in college before you were out of diapers. When it comes to Christian mysticism, including alchemy and The Grail, why don't you go teach your grandmother to suck eggs?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

The Jews and all modern religious traditions originated in ancient India

However, having dropped his body (at about the age of 73, as a jolly old white bearded man), he didn't waste any time confronting Saul on the Road to Damascus from the abode of light, which would have been approximately 63 years after his "departure" from Jerusalem, with bells rining out, a chest of gold (reparation) in the back of his one horse carriage, his bride at his side (although tragically assassinated on the road), laughing all the way - all will be explained in more depth.. don't assume it's crazy or approach with contempt, prior to investigation, is all I ask.

Cheers,

NAM

So if he is there does that mean Easter should be cancelled forever?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join