It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Find Revives 'Jesus Tomb' Controversy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The findings and their interpretation are likely to be controversial, since most scholars are skeptical of any Christian archaeological remains from so early a period.
The tomb containing the new discoveries is a modest sized, carefully carved rock cut cave tomb typical of Jerusalem in the period from 20 BCE until 70 CE.

The researchers behind a 2007 documentary detailing “The Lost Tomb of Jesus” have uncovered evidence that a first-century Israeli tomb once belonged to the Biblical prophet Jonah, who was famously swallowed whole by a whale in the Book of Jonah.

The prime evidence comes from an ossuary, a box or chest built to contain human remains that was examined in the tomb in Jerusalem by a robotic arm and a “snake camera.” It has a four-line Greek inscription that refers to God “raising up” someone. A carved image found on an adjacent ossuary shows what appears to be a large fish with a human stick figure in its mouth -- interpreted by the excavation team to be an image evoking the biblical story of Jonah.

Read the whole paper on Discovery news

They said that the new findings by James Tabor will be exposed here.

Extract:

It seems very likely that followers of Jesus were moved to do what other Jews eschewed—in testimony to their faith in Jesus’ resurrection. Clearly the Jonah image and the Greek inscription, in such close proximity to a tomb with names corresponding to Jesus and his family, should cause us to reexamine some of the other ossuary inscriptions that Eliezar Sukenik, Bellarmino Bagatti, and others have identified as Christian—some of which are in the close geographical proximity to the Talpiot tombs.

The exploration robot:

edit on 29-2-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Stick figure in the mouth of big fish carved into rock!
Well, that's conclusive evidence that the story of Jonah and the Whale/big fish is a historical fact.
Glad that one's been cleared up.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage
Well, that's conclusive evidence that the story of Jonah and the Whale/big fish is a historical fact.

I read that as 'it's reasonable to assume this is imagery of Jonah considering it's proximity to other Christian markings.'

They never mentioned "historical fact" in the quote there.
edit on 29-2-2012 by xFiDgetx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xFiDgetx

I read that as 'it's reasonable to assume this is imagery of Jonah considering it's proximity to other Christian markings.'

They never mentioned "historical fact" in the quote there.

What is the relevance then?
I'm not getting it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Very good... amazing.

I think they should be looking again at Davinci Last supper... But the last complete copy still in existence. The one before they cut the painting ..

They did try do full everyone with Dan Brown's movie Da Vinci Code, giving false directions..

If people would open their eyes and see what it is all about. The real subject, they wouldn't be looking for Jesus Tomb.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
It's after 6 am and I haven't been to bed yet, but that doesn't look like a fish with a stick figure of a human sticking out of it's mouth to me. It doesn't even look like a fish to me. I'll have to come back and look at it after I've had some sleep.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

To Answer your signature question ... No.... but will find it in Egypt.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Regardless of the actual findings, I think we have to expect this to be shouted down and kicked to the curb. We are well passed a place in history where any new religious discoveries will be tolerated. Between the militant branches of secularism and the power bases of the various faiths, there is little chance that the public is going to have access to information that isn't assaulted and buggered from all sides.

Thus, you will find headlines already this morning that cast doubt upon this particular discovery. you may expect more... and more and more so that there is no consensus and nothing but a raging fur-ball of confusion.

Need more coffee...

\_/?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
And the worst part is that even after seeing this that people still won't belive in Jesus.

Here's a vid about the truth of Noah's ark that was found in Turkey::

Btw this vid is very recent, from this month.

I always wonder why is it that people seem to hate Christianity the most, at least in america. Other people's religions threaten to kill those that even insult their "Higher entity" so to speak, but the Christians, who are commanded by God to love one another, catch the most flak. Honestly to me that's just more proof that Jesus and Christianity is the real religion. Not to offend anyone else's religion, but I have to be respectfully honest, these other religions were created by satan to discredit the real one.

Think about it, consider this scenario of a typical person in America that doesn't believe in Jesus::

If you saw someone praying to allah in public somewhere, (you know the typical woman with their head covered and everything), or if they tried to tell you about allah, you probably wouldn't be nearly as mad/impatient with a woman/man who prayed to God in public, or tried to tell you about Him.

From what i understand, this is because evil spirits can't bear to hear about the true God in heaven, so they vehemently refuse to listen to the person speaking about him. When listening about alllah? No problem, because allah isn't God,-- (Respectfully speaking truth here),-- they don't care. they can tolerate it. I'm not saying those people who hate Jesus have evil spirits inside them, (also not saying they don't). I'm just saying it's something to think about.

I just wish people like these doomsday preppers and all would wake up and realize that they can escape all these world events to come by being raptured if they would turn to him. He loves everyone. People are always like, "if he loves us why does he let wars continue and people in Africa suffer, etc?"
Simple, because people haven't turned to him. They don't people in him.

anyways. Jesus loves you all, even if you don't love him. The rapture will happen very soon, possibly within the next couple of months. I hope and pray that people will wake up and repent before it's too late and they get left behind..
edit on 29-2-2012 by WatcherMan because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2012 by WatcherMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

What is the relevance then?
I'm not getting it.

Alas, I don't think there is any. From what I can see in the OP it seems more like people jumping to conclusions about what COULD be early Christian prayers/art/PrayerArt!™ carved onto ossuaries by family or even a Christian mason of the era.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Very true...

But that was important with past events not new ones. If people would take the time to look for themselfes to what was left to us all, by people that tried, against everyone and everything, to code the information so that it could be passed to future generations.
But ... the future generations (we), do not take the time to SEE. Looking at as many directions as possible, Hypothesis and Thesis, never stoping to observe and think without taking into account what others think.
In the not so distante pass, they would observe, understand the concept, get the formula and use the "number" around the formula.Today, we don't understand the concept, we get the numbers and try to use Theoretical formulas around the numbers, until another theory comes along to start all over again.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The bible says that Jesus was placed in an unused tomb.

Nice story though.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WatcherMan

I don't believe in jesus, at least not as you do. Mostly because if there was a Jesus of Nazereth, he was a mere mortal, normal man pushing a religion that was created years before his birth.

Other people's religions threaten to kill those that even insult their "Higher entity" so to speak, but the Christians, who are commanded by God to love one another, catch the most flak. Honestly to me that's just more proof that Jesus and Christianity is the real religion. Not to offend anyone else's religion, but I have to be respectfully honest, these other religions were created by satan to discredit the real one.

Congratulations on the most ridiculous quote on ATS today. Have you ever heard of Buddhism? It teaches exactly what you said above, and as far as I know, there's nothing anywhere preaching to kill anyone. Oh yeah, and also at least 400-600 years before your jesus.

Buddhism is a religion and philosophy encompassing a variety of traditions, beliefs and practices, largely based on teachings attributed to Siddhartha Gautama, commonly known as the Buddha (Sanskrit/Pāli) "the awakened one"). The Buddha lived and taught in the eastern part of Indian subcontinent some time between the 6th and 4th centuries BCE.[1] He is recognized by Buddhists as an awakened or enlightened teacher who shared his insights to help sentient beings end ignorance (avidyā) of dependent origination and sunyata.

As for why there's so much hate towards christianity, most people hate that there are still humans so weak that they need to believe in a magical wizard in the sky (as you said about a half dozen times, I mean that totally respectfully). Then there are the people like me that hate that people like you push your brainwashing on others.

As for the OP, they probably won't ever find the tomb of jesus. If it is ever discovered it will be in Syria, Iran, India or in Europe in or around southern France.
edit on 2/29/12 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
People are ridiculous and sadly desperate for proof to support their crazy beliefs.

That scribbly drawing looks nothing like a fish swallowing a person. The "fish" doesn't even haven an eye. I've seen kindergartners draw a better image of the Jonah story. If anything, it looks like a person wearing a long, elaborately decorated or woven robe, although I don't even know about that, because again, even little children know enough to draw eyes and a mouth on a face.

I don't know Hebrew, but I wonder what the writing on the "robe" spells out. "YWH?"

edit on 29-2-2012 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Oh damnit, I forgot to mention the crusades. I also forgot to mention the Inquisition. And the witch burnings. And every serial killer who insisted god was speaking to them. Yeah, you guys are certainly a peaceful people.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Jonah was swallowed by a USO ... not a real whale. Betchya.
I wonder if there is any DNA around the tomb to test it .. see if anything alienish is there.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
As for the OP, they probably won't ever find the tomb of jesus. If it is ever discovered it will be in Syria, Iran, India or in Europe in or around southern France.

Interesting!

I live in France and would like to know what makes you think that Jesus tomb could be in southern France?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

i have no idea what the carving was intended to indicate, but id have to agree that i do not see anything which would lead me to believe that represents any sort of fish, and i dont see any stick figure human either. i see cracks on the rocks as the top of a rocket? lol idk

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust

Originally posted by Magnivea

Interesting!

I live in France and would like to know what makes you think that Jesus tomb could be in southern France?

One of the stories of what happened after he escaped the crucifixion was that he and Mary Magdalene went to France. The Holy Blood, Holy Grail thing distorted by the DaVinci code. I can't remember which sect it was supposed to be that they stayed with, but it was an early sect that was stomped out by the church after a few hundred years.

Below is an eye-opening passage - Verse 10 - from that Chapter 53: "But the Lord was pleased to bruise him, putting him to grief; if he would render himself as a guilt offering, he will see his offspring. God will prolong his days, and the good pleasure of the Lord will prosper in his hand." Recent researches indicate that after his nailing to the Cross (the tragedy and sorrow that was witnessed by Mother Mary and Mary Magdalene) the DAYS OF JESUS were prolonged and that HISTORICAL REAL JESUS passed his Final Days with Mary Magdalene in France

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I found my birthplace, LETS MAKE IT A MATTY BIRTHPLACE CONSPIRACY!!!

But, what would jesus do?
He would come down to everyone...
"Yo, jerk off! This is my hood! Meet my mutha Mary!!! Dont mess wit us!!!"

But, this would be a good place to sleep at for 2 weeks straight w/ no light!

Nice post bro!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join