It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Mason" - Word Evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
does anyone knows the genesis of the "Mason" word and how it evolved through centuries? i heard it has it's roots in the french. but couldn't it have had a much earlier origin?

Tks

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Funny that you mention that.

I came across this earlier today:

freemasonry.bcy.ca...

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Falkner
does anyone knows the genesis of the "Mason" word and how it evolved through centuries? i heard it has it's roots in the french. but couldn't it have had a much earlier origin?

Tks

Funny that you would ask that... we were just discussing the fact yesterday on a masonic discussion forum that there are at least 16 different substitutes for the ancient Master's word. The common one is thought to derive from a french word, but there are so many others, and in fact some rituals, where there is NO substitute for the ancient masters word that the whole discussion doesn't really make any sense.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
And what about a Latin origin? Do you know something about it? And btw, the current meaning of Mason, what is it? At the beginning, I guess it was related with the "creation" of something (to build something up). During the liberal fights, in France, I learned that the word "mason" would symbolize the effort of upbringing the people.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Oh, you are talking about the word MASON itself. I thought you were referencing the secret masters word and the replacement thereof from masonic ritual.

As for the word mason, all I know is what the dictionary says:

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: ma�son
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French ma�on, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English macian to make
1 : a skilled worker who builds by laying units of substantial material (as stone or brick)
2 capitalized : FREEMASON

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Exactly.
I was refering to the word itself. However I got interested in this topic of the secret masters word? What is it about? I�m usually not in touch with this "issues".

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Sorry I brought it up... what I wrote above is pretty much all I can say/write about it, as it is one of the things that I promised never to reveal...

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by theron dunn
Sorry I brought it up... what I wrote above is pretty much all I can say/write about it, as it is one of the things that I promised never to reveal...

Yuk, yuk

Search function- lots of "mason" stuff at ATS

theron you are so funny sometimes

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that in ancient egyptian "phree messon" (spelling?) means child of light.

I might be way off though.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
If the masons can grab it and it sounds cool we'll be seeing some URLs shortly to back this link up.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
members.fortunecity.com...

There you are. Have fun. Maybe you can tease something interesting out of that. Just found it with a google search. I have no opinion on it.

[edit on 20-9-2004 by LTD602]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I would recommend Albert Pike's "Sepher H'Debarim" ("Book of the Words"). Here, Pike traces the words from the 1� - 32� to various places, mostly Hebrew and Greek, in an attempt to ascertain their meanings. The book can ordered online from the Scottish Rite Research Society via the website of the Supreme Council 33�:

www.srmason-sj.org...

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly

Yuk, yuk

Search function- lots of "mason" stuff at ATS

theron you are so funny sometimes

That MAY be true, but regardless of the content on this site, my obligation is not to reveal it...

I am glad you find humor in something...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
One other question...

is there any connections between the catholic church and the masons?

i'm asking this, because a few days ago, i saw in the news that a masonic funeral "ritual" (i don't know if i can call it that way, sorry if it is wrong) took place in the church where the catholic ceremony will be performed, with the agreement of the catholic church.

But, i think i'll post this, in another thread.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

One other question...

i'm asking this, because a few days ago, i saw in the news that a masonic funeral "ritual" (i don't know if i can call it that way, sorry if it is wrong) took place in the church where the catholic ceremony will be performed, with the agreement of the catholic church.

But, i think i'll post this, in another thread.

Other than many priests and a couple of past Popes? No, not really.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   

One other question...

Other than many priests and a couple of past Popes? No, not really.

The Catholic Church officially condemns FreeMasonry, as does the Orthodox Church, and a few others, usually on the basis of made-up information about Freemasonry. Some religious objections are that we espouse Brotherhood even with non-Christians. Since Freemasonry is no a religion and has no plan of salvation, I personally don't see the problem with that... but it goes back to the made-up thing.

As far as Freemasons go, you only have to be a man and believe in a Supreme Being, and not be a handful of other things (wife beater, or other types of persons of bad community standing). As far as we are concerned, Catholics are OK as are Jews, Moslems, Protestants, etc.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Just not satanists as one member of this forum has asserted. To be a mason, a man must be upright, honorable, with a faith in g-d, however he knows Him, and not be convicted of any felony.

That eliminates a satanist on several accounts... not the least of which is no brother would vote yes on a man that proclaims that evil is his god...

new topics

top topics

join