It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook weirdness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I opened an FB account years ago and used my middle name as my surname, didn't use my real surname anywhere including the email addy I gave them. I don't access the account, haven't for years. I even unsubscribed from getting emails from them.

But now I'm getting email from FB to my email account I don't give out to places like FB, that is my full name. The FB account the email is referring to is one also using my full real name, with surname, which I never opened.

Could this be a scam? The emails look genuine. The last one was for someone who wants to be my 'friend' (lol).
I have no idea who that person is. The 'go to FB link' is genuine also (right click/Copy link location to check). Did FB find out my surname and email addy and change my account? Anyone else have this happen? I don't think it's some big conspiracy lol, just curious.

(I am trying to avoid accessing the FB account lol, I have no idea if my old one is still active)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

If the mail looks genuine and redirects you to their real site, then I guess they have somehow farmed and collated your details possibly via other services such as Google, Youtube, etc. This is one reason I don't like nor have accounts on such sites. You can delete your FB page, it's quite easy but they will retain your data but make it invisible for FB users. It will be like you don't exist.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
IPs and MAC address have only one name, no matter what you call them. I don't know for a fact that FB does this but I do know Google+ does. You, your name, whatever it may be is associated with your MAC id and IP address. To top it off multiple devices can be grouped together as being 'yours'. So your cell phone and smart TV and laptop all tagged to you. At least that is what Google does.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by ANOK

If the mail looks genuine and redirects you to their real site, then I guess they have somehow farmed and collated your details possibly via other services such as Google, Youtube, etc. This is one reason I don't like nor have accounts on such sites. You can delete your FB page, it's quite easy but they will retain your data but make it invisible for FB users. It will be like you don't exist.

Thanx for the reply.

Yeah that's not cool if they do that. I opened the account when FB first opened and of course was completely naive as to their future practices.

I don't really care about deleting it, just wondering what the deal was. Isn't it a rule that you're supposed to use your real name? I never thought they would know lol. I just used what I use as my 'stage name'.

edit on 2/28/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassey222
IPs and MAC address have only one name, no matter what you call them. I don't know for a fact that FB does this but I do know Google+ does. You, your name, whatever it may be is associated with your MAC id and IP address. To top it off multiple devices can be grouped together as being 'yours'. So your cell phone and smart TV and laptop all tagged to you. At least that is what Google does.

Thanx for the reply.

Not sure what you mean by 'no matter what you call them'? How are they named?
AFAIK my real name is nowhere on my comp, or internet connection set-up. No cell phone, smart tv or laptop.
No google account.

Except I think my Yahoo account. Hmm...

edit on 2/28/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The "friend requests" that come from someone you do or don't know to an email account that you didn't use to sign up for facebook is nothing new... it's generally from someone's email account getting hacked that had you in their contact list...

If you click the link (or check the link) it will look legit but take notice to all the redirects before it actually loads the page...

"The facebook" is the worst thing that's ever been unleashed on society...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
I opened an FB account years ago and used my middle name as my surname, didn't use my real surname anywhere including the email addy I gave them. I don't access the account, haven't for years. I even unsubscribed from getting emails from them.

But now I'm getting email from FB to my email account I don't give out to places like FB, that is my full name. The FB account the email is referring to is one also using my full real name, with surname, which I never opened.

Could this be a scam? The emails look genuine. The last one was for someone who wants to be my 'friend' (lol).
I have no idea who that person is. The 'go to FB link' is genuine also (right click/Copy link location to check). Did FB find out my surname and email addy and change my account? Anyone else have this happen? I don't think it's some big conspiracy lol, just curious.

(I am trying to avoid accessing the FB account lol, I have no idea if my old one is still active)

They know everything about you by association.. Someone else probably mentioned that fb and countless apps will access your address book (cell phone, outlook.. whatever) to "help" you add friends and further data mine and confirm who you are even before you have an account.

Fb's database of peopl who aren't even users on their hellish system must be absolutely massive and frighteningly complete.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SwissMarked
The "friend requests" that come from someone you do or don't know to an email account that you didn't use to sign up for facebook is nothing new... it's generally from someone's email account getting hacked that had you in their contact list...

If you click the link (or check the link) it will look legit but take notice to all the redirects before it actually loads the page...

That's a good point, didn't think about that.

I know for a fact at least two people who email me have their emails hacked, because I always get a slew of spam from places that I wouldn't go to (women's stuff, they're both wimins lol I'm so popular), when they email me. If I see a bunch of spam I know there's an email from one of them. So I wouldn't be surprised if my accounts are also doing the same thing. Is there a way to check?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh
They know everything about you by association.. Someone else probably mentioned that fb and countless apps will access your address book (cell phone, outlook.. whatever) to "help" you add friends and further data mine and confirm who you are even before you have an account.

Fb's database of peopl who aren't even users on their hellish system must be absolutely massive and frighteningly complete.

Arrghhh! I'm starting to feel like I'm trapped in the matrix, or some matrix.

I have nothing to hide, but I just don't feel comfortable having any information about me available to anyone. More personally I hate my surname and detest seeing it in print lol, anywhere.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

FB T&C's...

4. Registration and Account Security
Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.

FB T&C's
Sorry, they only like you to use a real name. If they discover it is false, they will probably delete the account. But they say they do respect your privacy (while selling your data to the highest bidder)...
edit on 29/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

edit on 29/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Added source

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

FB T&C's...

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.

FB T&C's
Sorry, they only like you to use a real name. If they discover it is false, they will probably delete the account. But they say they do respect your privacy (while selling your data to the highest bidder)...

Yeah thanx I thought that was the case.

Facebook is the mark of the beast lol.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

FB T&C's...

FB T&C's

I tested this idea by changing my name twice in the last 2 months. My current name is "Fartbag fbisagiantturd Vanderpuff".. seriously. And guess what. it doesn't matter because they want to also collect aliases. They don't delete anything. Nothing. That is key to understanding the reach and power FB and google have. They are capturing EVERYTHING and deleting NOTHING. It is impossible to delete anything from FB. What they do is mark it deleted. I am not kidding. this is not conspiracy. The bulk of FB and Google's tech goes into capturing and storage of every possible detail and interaction. Ridiculous and seemingly pointless data. Capture and store all of it because it may be useful later.

Change your name.. you will have no problem because when you change it, they store the change. What it was and what you changed it to. When and from where. I'm not kidding. This is not conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

When I was younger there was a lot of talk about the collecting of peoples details by the police and other authorities. It wouldn't surprise me if google and FB are being paid to collect this information by some government agency.

I maybe stating the obvious here, I haven't really looked into it?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

I realise that. I don't have a facebook or google account though so it's not my problem.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I know for a fact at least two people who email me have their emails hacked, because I always get a slew of spam from places that I wouldn't go to (women's stuff, they're both wimins lol I'm so popular), when they email me. If I see a bunch of spam I know there's an email from one of them. So I wouldn't be surprised if my accounts are also doing the same thing. Is there a way to check?

At this point the best way to avoid being exploited is to not use the internet...

Between the hacks, spoofs, redirects, etc anyway you slice it you're accounts aren't secure ever... I was told years ago when doing work for government contractors that the only email they wanted us to use was Yahoo because it was the least vulnerable... and then people started falling for the false logins and giving up their passwords... emails that were sent out to their entire contact list wouldn't even show up in their "sent" folder although their email address would show as though they sent it...

Facebook was founded by a hacker and thief who now has full government backing... so to expect any kind of honesty out of that site about anything is like expecting the government to use lube when they bend you over... sure it'd be nice... but it ain't gonna happen...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

At this point the best way to avoid being exploited is to not use the internet...

Between the hacks, spoofs, redirects, etc anyway you slice it you're accounts aren't secure ever... I was told years ago when doing work for government contractors that the only email they wanted us to use was Yahoo because it was the least vulnerable... and then people started falling for the false logins and giving up their passwords... emails that were sent out to their entire contact list wouldn't even show up in their "sent" folder although their email address would show as though they sent it...

Facebook was founded by a hacker and thief who now has full government backing... so to expect any kind of honesty out of that site about anything is like expecting the government to use lube when they bend you over... sure it'd be nice... but it ain't gonna happen...

In the not so distant future not using the internet will make you suspect. Not having a facebook or google account will be cause for alarm. We are so close. Most people really have no idea.

We are not far from the day when you literally will require a biometric scan to identify yourself for travel, purchases, health care.. everything. And the GUID generated from your unique bioscan will be the very thing that connects your facebook, bank records, criminal records. etc. All the pieces are there. And it is no conspiracy that google, facebook, microsoft and apple have been racing to become the centralized identification technology that ties it all together. This is fact. Facebook wins though because the organization who commissioned the system had facebook developed for this very use.

So not using the internet raises a big red flag. A few states have already made it illegal to use cash for certain transactions. And the federal gov suggests using cash for ANYTHING is suspect behavior.

We are a few years or one event away from total lock down. Most people have no clue as to how exposed they truly are. And they don't understand that everything is saved.. so even if they don't have your identity related to the activity, it can be related later on implicitly in all kinds of ways. Most of which are completely automated and some that are not.

Unless you live in a cave with no human contact.. you are either suspect or you are already known and tracked.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Agreed RW... we live in a "damned if you do damned if you don't" world... great example to use is "credit rating"... don't have to high of a balance or too low of a balance... don't have too few cards or too many cards... don't pay it all off at once but don't let it drag out too long... don't pay the minimum each month but don't pay it all off every month... and by all means... don't ask what you have to do to get a perfect credit rating... because there is no answer... just keep guessing wrong until you die...

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Specifically, what are the negative sides to FB? Besides, of course, the hide-in-a-bunker.... everyone's-after-me type who think someone who looks at'em weird in public means some covert black-ops agency are scheming against him and his family.

Okay, marketers and/or millionaire companies have my info and what I think I "like" at a particular time in my life.... uuummmmm... what's the worst that can happen? If I get an advertisement that has anything remotely close to what I truly "like".... it would be monumental and awesome beyond words as.... the artists and music I like have been oppressed and black-sheeped since the Garden of Eden.

In the real world... someone attempting to sell me a Joy Division poster doesn't exactly mean life as we know it has turned upside down.

If anything... basing what you try to sell me on what I say I "like" is good... not bad.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

FB T&C's...

FB T&C's

I tested this idea by changing my name twice in the last 2 months. My current name is "Fartbag fbisagiantturd Vanderpuff".. seriously. And guess what. it doesn't matter because they want to also collect aliases. They don't delete anything. Nothing. That is key to understanding the reach and power FB and google have. They are capturing EVERYTHING and deleting NOTHING. It is impossible to delete anything from FB. What they do is mark it deleted. I am not kidding. this is not conspiracy. The bulk of FB and Google's tech goes into capturing and storage of every possible detail and interaction. Ridiculous and seemingly pointless data. Capture and store all of it because it may be useful later.

Change your name.. you will have no problem because when you change it, they store the change. What it was and what you changed it to. When and from where. I'm not kidding. This is not conspiracy.

What do they do when they find out... people create who they want to be online... nothing's real...down to pictures of themselves.... okay there are the goody two-shoes who want people to find the "real me" who join networking sites for friends and stuff but majority of people on social networking sites are there to recreate themselves and gain popularity/comfort they missed out of in high school or in real life PERIOD.

The internet is one big playground.... and not meant to be taken seriously... once it is ... you'll fall prey to someone's joke and entertainment.

Whoever's buying this information... some government or marketing company... whoever's got all this money to buy a buncha shenanigans... okay... they already have a whole lot of money, right? They probably put a product out to society and the masses... so they want to get our information to find out that we like or dislike their product? And the way people click like on stuff.... doesn't necessarily mean they like it enough to put hard earned money into it.

If anything, Mark Zuckerberg is making it out like all this information he gets on facebook is worth something so he can make more money.... but if you're in the thick of it and see the majority of the stuff people like and chat about... it's moreso one huge fap-off machine then anything in the vicinity of reality.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikhailBakunin

reply to post by ANOK

FB T&C's...

FB T&C's

What do they do when they find out... people create who they want to be online... nothing's real...down to pictures of themselves.... okay there are the goody two-shoes who want people to find the "real me" who join networking sites for friends and stuff but majority of people on social networking sites are there to recreate themselves and gain popularity/comfort they missed out of in high school or in real life PERIOD.

The internet is one big playground.... and not meant to be taken seriously... once it is ... you'll fall prey to someone's joke and entertainment.

Whoever's buying this information... some government or marketing company... whoever's got all this money to buy a buncha shenanigans... okay... they already have a whole lot of money, right? They probably put a product out to society and the masses... so they want to get our information to find out that we like or dislike their product? And the way people click like on stuff.... doesn't necessarily mean they like it enough to put hard earned money into it.

If anything, Mark Zuckerberg is making it out like all this information he gets on facebook is worth something so he can make more money.... but if you're in the thick of it and see the majority of the stuff people like and chat about... it's moreso one huge fap-off machine then anything in the vicinity of reality.

On a network like facebook you are known by location and association. Yes there is a ton of misleading info on there.. But WAY WAY more real information. Companies like facebook and google are datamining technology companies. That is where their value lies. How many people on facebook do you know that maintain a fake account with all non real world relationships? Either way you are still revealing something about yourself by your behavior. Whether you are being deceptive or not.

new topics

top topics

join