It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama top lawyer : no court can challenge Obama decision to assassinate whoever he wants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well that's nice.

Obama Lawyer: No Court Can Challenge Extrajudicial Execution at President’s Whim

The Obama administration’s top Pentagon lawyer on Wednesday said that courts have no business questioning executive branch decisions about whom to target for extra-judicial execution in the war on terror, even if that target is an American citizen.

“Belligerents who also happen to be U.S. citizens do not enjoy immunity where non-citizen belligerents are valid military objectives,” said Jeh C. Johnson, the Defense Department general counsel, in a speech at Yale Law School.

While the Obama administration’s policy here is not new – they’ve been conducting a drone war and assassinating U.S. citizens and non-citizens without ever providing the public evidence of those targets’ guilt – it was rare for an administration official to so publicly declare it like Johnson did.

“Belligerents who also happen to be U.S. citizens do not enjoy immunity where non-citizen belligerents are valid military objectives,”

Belligerents uh? First it was enemy soldiers. Then it was enemy combatants. Now it's belligerents. What's it gonna be next year... whoever complains?

Definition of Belligerent :

1: waging war; specifically : belonging to or recognized as a state at war and protected by and subject to the laws of war

Protected by and subject to the laws of war? That's just rich!

2: inclined to or exhibiting assertiveness, hostility, or combativeness

Anyone who isn't taking it in the butt and liking it is a belligerent.

Well folks, we'll have a nice party at Gitmo...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
yes but does he have the cohones to do it himself
or will he wimp out and get a minion to do the dirty work...?

I guess they were tired of having to silence murder expensive minions to keep him out of jail for murder..
like those Navey seals...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

NDAA declared the entire country a battle ground and the people are the enemy. This is just more proof of this mentality. Virginia just passed a new law in regards to the NDAA more states are in the process.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Well folks, we'll have a nice party at Gitmo...

I'll bring the dip, I make a really good chip dip, goes great with GMO corn chips.

So they are on a roll lately inventing imaginary rules of authority over the population that they want us also to believe in. Good luck with that, 99% of the folks in my town will have a blast, no pun intended, shooting down any drones spying on or shooting at anyone here. Problem is they will pick dissenters off 1 at a time.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

Let's hope more states draft their own legislation in regards to nullifying the NDAA! I heard there is a city somewhere in the northeast that voted to nullify this outrageous piece of legislation there. Lots of respect to them.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

How sick and arrogant.

On a totally unrelated topic, does anyone know how to create local EMP bursts? A science project for my. . . er . . . kid.

Seriouly, the attitude of this administration is sickening.

Will be interested to see if any here will defend this.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well technically his lawyer is right, it would be up to a Congressional Committee formed under Articles of Impeachment. However, the actions of the President's subordinates are subject to criminal trial by a court. And evidence revealed during that trial can lead to Congress being asked/forced to form a committee for impeachment.

Given that the lazy freeloaders in Congress can't even submit a complete budget, I have no hopes of them being able to organize an impeachment committee even if Obama walked around with a butcher knife and started slaughtering innocent people at random yelling "I am the lizard king."

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I wouldn't call them lazy, they work really hard on passing legislation that benefits them.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rynocerous7

I believe that if 2/3 of the states want it pulled it can be, but I can't remember right off hand.

My state is very liberal unfortunately, so I don't see them as signing on.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

NDAA declared the entire country a battle ground and the people are the enemy. This is just more proof of this mentality. Virginia just passed a new law in regards to the NDAA more states are in the process.

Right.

The president has been made a King by the nwo and can use his royal power to start a reign of terror.

edit on 29-2-2012 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
USA is a democracy, not some tin pot dictatorships such as Iran ayotollahs, Russian Putin or the CCP gov.

There are check and balances on administration of USA.

The President is not as 'free' to kill as some makes it out be. That presidential seat carries a heavy responsibililty, and not many are or would be capable to fill the seat, as failed past american presidents had proven - economically or societally.

While he may be legally free to do so, there still is a moral law that governs each president given such powers, and not something an honest man can live with himself with conscience when a decision is made, which only he himself is responsible and will answer for when his allotted time on Earth is over.

There will be times when such moral decisions have to be made, and no president of a democratic country can or should evade - be a coward, or do what must be done, not for one's glory, but for the nation's survival, as had been what was done against international extermination of mankind known as terrorism.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The Constitution is what prevents such things, that lawyer is a fool.

Regardless of who has been in power this last decade or so, they are only concerned with putting us under their boot heels.

Derek

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

The statement was made in the context of Anwar Al-Awlaki, a US/New Mexico-born radical Islamist cleric and Al-Qaeda leader who was killed in a drone strike in Yemen.

Awlaki’s father tried to sue in court, but the judge said it was not the courts place to interfere with military tareting decisions abroad.

It's not a simple question. Should we demand that the CIA/Military ask to see passports before targeting known Al-Qaeda operatives and bases? In Afghanistan? My-Opinion...No...Yemen? No ...USA? ...Yes and I think that the CIA thus far agrees, The CIA/Military/Obama Administration could not target folks on US Soil without profound and loud outrage from the FBI, DHS, and every other local agencey that has rightful dominion and legal authority....not to mention the outrage that would occur publicly and from congress. Just wouldn't happen and hasn't happened.

This comment was about foriegn enemies..including US citizens that are training with, even leading terrorist groups in foriegn countries. If the CIA/Seals need to pull the trigger in some dark corner of Africa or the Middle East, they shouldn't be required to chat with the terrorist first to find out if they were born in the states, just my opinion.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

How do we know for sure that Anwar Al-Awlaki was not a CIA operative ?

Maybe he was killed by mistake and there was a cover up.

new topics

top topics

join