It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Video Captures Destructive Power of Navy’s Newest Railgun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Woot!!

Article here

See previous thread for some background - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Now to put some on spaceships and conquer the universe.....bwah ha ha ha!

lol - this is sci fi from my youth - EE "Doc" Smith's "Primaries" from the Lensman series spring immediately to mind - god I wish I was going to see what my grandkids will see 50 years from now!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
oops - I didn't notice that the original thread was still going - careless of me - sorry

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

A railgun... yet there is an explosion with fire? That is a strange kind of railgun...

Railguns are supposed to be explosion free, no fire, no gunpowder, just magnets accelerating a mass of steel into tremendous velocities. I call hoax on this one

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Friction = Heat = Fire

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Looks to me like they may give it a laser assist. It would explain the shape of the back side of the projectile and the bright flash when it fires, as well as the explosion.

And if it is a hoax it has some crazy budget. Let's see your average youtube hoaxer all build that stuff and and make it look that good
edit on 28-2-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wrksstudios

Friction? There is not supposed to be any friction in a true railgun... the projectile will be suspended between the magnets, in the magnetic field, not touching anything. But maybe this is some kind of primitive version... That is at least the most plausible explanation if friction is indeed to blame for that huge explosion.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Yeah. I was going to say the same thing. I don't know why there is fire?

A railgun, for anyone that doesn't know, is forced forward by magnets (like some rollercoasters). As the projectile floats over a series of magnets and increases it's speed as it goes.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I see no 'fire' coming from the barrel, only sparks. Probably from errant contact from the sides of the barrel. Oh you mean the fire/explosion type stuff from after hitting the first barrier? Ya, friction = heat= fire... Seems when you force matter through other bits matter that can create heat.

Ok, I'm gonna back up after watching the video another five times. I stick by my observation of there being no explosion emanating from the barrel (only sparks). However I will retract the statement about the fire coming from an actual barrier, as I cannot clearly see one causing the fire/explosion. I am now wondering if the projectile is traveling at a sufficient speed shortly after leaving the barrel to cause the humidity in the air to be ripped apart into hydrogen and oxygen and ignite. Then slowing enough to halt that process (why there isn't a fire trail behind it all the way). There is definitely a pressure wave going along with this thing so it is doing some serious compression. You can see it at the end of the video where the projectile is headed away.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassey222

After watching it again, I think there is friction, but not from the projectile. I think they use wadding and encapsulate the projectile (you can see it falling away) and that is what connects and causes the friction. They would use it to stabilize the projectile and make it fit. There isn't supposed to be friction though due to the weapon itself because there isn't supposed to be any contact between the projectile and the weapon in theory.

Edit: Maybe there isn't any wadding, I don't really know why there is an explosion and what appears to be fire. It seems like a rail gun should be a completely clean shot.
edit on 28-2-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This same technology can be (and might be already) employed to launch vessels into space. Magnetic and anti-magnetic tech might be incorporated with suppressed anti-gravity and Tesla-type tech to achieve what we only dream and wonder about in science fiction scenarios like Star Trek. Our race's "breakaway civilization" (google Richard Dolan) might already have had the capability to travel to our planets if not the stars for decades now. The wonder...!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
there is friction. it is an aluminum 3 foot golf tee with a metallic casing there will be friction.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

here is a longer link. not faked guys.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

and here is where the fire comes in to play.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
S & F for you my friend.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Why do I feel I've been here before? Oh yea...from four years ago.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
the rail gun is one of the most powerful weapons in the military a space based system is likely already in development. Launching a house sized object from a space based rail gun would allow kinetic energy bombs.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by henryharrison1984
the rail gun is one of the most powerful weapons in the military a space based system is likely already in development. Launching a house sized object from a space based rail gun would allow kinetic energy bombs.

You don't need a rail gun for that. Just a house sized object that would withstand re-entry. After that, it's just mathemetics to ensure you hit your target.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

falling out of orbit and being slammed at earth i am sure there is a big difference

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Notice the explosion is concave and not convex.....

Its the projectiles cocussion wave... it strikes the ambient air with such force that it sets it on fire... then rips through the air so fast that it ignites it as it flies....

Edit to add: And about the shape of the projectile, Without being able to SPIN the bullet... your gonna have to change the design. Im sure they dont want to give away their ingenious railgun bullet designs.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

Im sure good design would be those kameno darts from starwars....
edit on 29-2-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join