It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I only had a gun!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
OK so this is my rant directed to all the pro gun control people out there who live in the US and outside the US.

I will probably get flamed to death but oh well.

Hypothetical scenarios like the one I'm about to present have probably been posted on this site before, but I haven't seen one and would love some input.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Scenario 1: Man with no gun.

Man with no gun was walking home from his late shift at the office at 2 in the morning.

He took the same path as usual, an isolated path that went through park which divided his apartment from his office.

As he walked a small group of 4 youth pass by him, he thinks nothing of it and continues his journey home.

He then hears someone call out,

"Hey...you!"

He turns around to see the youth behind him, two of which were holding knives.

"Give us your money bro!!" one of the exclaims with a threatening look on his face and posture which indicates he is ready to attack.

His pockets and wallet empty the man with no gun says,

"Hey don't hurt me man! I don't have anything!" which was Gods honest truth.

One of the youth not holding a weapon approaches the man,

"Well what else you got huh...huh" he says as he pushes him "how about you walk us to your house maybe you got something there for us!"

However man with no gun was just buying time, he had prepared for this type of scenario since he started his late shift. He immediately bolts and starts to run as fast as he can yelling

"Help! HELP!" he yelled as he ran faster and faster, he could hear the foot steps of his accosters right behind him. He saw the end of the park path and the street lamps of the main street ahead of them, but just as the luminous balls of hope reached his eyes, the agonizing pain in his left shoulder made his feet give out from beneath him. He reached to find the smooth chrome handle of a knife sticking firmly in the bone. He screamed in pain as they punched and kicked him while shouting profanities about his mother and sexual orientation, they eventually got tired and bored of beating the defenseless man, not before they pulled the knife out of his shoulder of course.

The man now bleeding profusely and broken, slowly inched his way to the burning lamps which now seemed mock him with their close proximity. As he finally got to the road with no more energy to yell, he simply waved his arm at the coming cars that drove by. After 15 minutes no cars stopped to help the poor man until a police squad car on patrol finally rolled by shined there spot light on him and called an ambulance.

Luckily man with no gun survived, albeit he now does not walk home from work anymore after having to go through nearly 6 months of rehabilitation just to limp to his car everyday.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Scenario 2: Man with gun

Man with gun was walking home from his late shift at the office at 2 in the morning.

He took the same path as usual, an isolated path that went through park which divided his apartment from his office.

As he walked a small group of 4 youth pass by him, he thinks nothing of it and continues his journey home.

He then hears someone call out,

"Hey...you!"

He turns around to see the youth behind him, two of which were holding knives.

"Give us your money bro!!" one of the exclaims with a threatening look on his face and posture which indicates he is ready to attack.

His pockets and wallet empty the man with a gun says,

" I don't have anything!" which was Gods honest truth.

One of the youth slowly steps towards him. As he does the man with a gun places his hand on his Glock 17 in its holster which was concealed by his jacket.

Now revealed to the would be muggers they slowly back away and break off into a run in the opposite direction. The man with a gun removes his hand from his weapon and quickly jogs to the street to avoid any further confrontation

As he walks down the street a police squad car rolls by whom he flags down to inform them of his run in with the muggers. They inquire about his well being, to which the man assures them of his safety and that he is armed. They inquire about his permits for his weapon which the man calmly provides along with a description of the muggers. They thank him and give him a ride to his house down the street and inform him that they will make another round of the park to attempt to find the muggers.

So...

Is there anything the man in the 1st scenario could have done better to avoid his fate?

Do you think scenario 2 was to unrealistic?

Your flames and comments are appreciated. And just so you know I am not a gun carrying psycho who thinks you should be able to buy rocket launchers without a permit, there is a line between reason and liberty that I think we all know.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws get to have guns!

What you say is truth, you don't need to be a psycho to own a gun. You get one to protect yourself from psychos in fact.

EDIT: Also, think about your loved ones. Is someone else's life more important than yours when it affects your loved ones? Liberty includes justice. People who get guns and abuse the privilege deserve to be punished, but it is up to the people on whether or not they want a gun.
edit on 28-2-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Man with no gun was walking home from his late shift at the office at 2 in the morning.

If he was driving, he would have been safer. Always look in the back seat before you get in your vehicle.

If he doesn't drive, he shouldn't be taking such an isolated path, through the park. Don't his instincts tell him that this could be dangerous?

Then again, the man with no gun, also has no natural instincts :shk:

Know your surroundings at all times! It will save your life one day.
edit on 28-2-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Going by the thread title I feared you wanted to commit suicide!! pheeew

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Needs some Thomas Jefferson quotes otherwise....I dunno it just need em'

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yeah but hindsight is always 20/20 (Jesus I sound like my grandfather).

Maybe the man lived in a very very safe area of town where something like this rarely happens,. Maybe the man couldn't afford a car. Like at the end of the scenario he sure doesn't care about the expense anymore.

But the man with the gun is still walking home from work at night, maybe a little more cautiously but he isn't afraid.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Guns are here to stay, can't change that now. Outlawing and banning guns is not the answer it just makes armed crimes easier for the criminals.

Arming everyone neutralizes the threat of all gun crimes, but it increases the statistics of accidental shootings. So there has to be a trade off somewhere for the lesser evil. I'm for a well armed society.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Why should the man want to live in fear, like the governments suppression is not enough
already does he need to fear that "youth" who want your money just so they
can buy more crap? I'd say have a gun even though I' am in a country where I do not have
one it would be better than nothing.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dejarmaX

No I'm good thanks for your concern though.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Is there anything the man in the 1st scenario could have done better to avoid his fate?

he could try some common sense.ie: dont walk through parks at 2am, if you see a group of youth's at 2am in a park, walk the other way. if you live in a city this is pretty obvious.
but if you like your gun's then fine, walk through the park. you get to threaten someone's life and also save 5 minutes off your journey home.
win win.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Living in Canada, we don't have the option to carry a gun, so we have to develop good instincts. Being a woman, I consider NO area of town safe, although I've also been in situations where I've had to walk in bad areas, at night.

I had a friend who was grabbed years ago, and she bit the guy really hard, and was able to run. She was able to give his description to the cops, and it turned out he had raped a couple of women in the area. She was very lucky.

I wish we could carry up here sometimes, it would feel safer. I just try to avoid such situations, whenever possible.

I've heard about the "make my day" law, in Texas (?).
I would like that up here. Instead, I have dogs, and live in a fairly safe area.

Our self defense laws are so questionable, we don't even know if we're really allowed to protect ourselves with a gun. We can only use "reasonable force", which would be different for every person, in every situation.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

he could try some common sense.ie: dont walk through parks at 2am, if you see a group of youth's at 2am in a park, walk the other way. if you live in a city this is pretty obvious.
but if you like your gun's then fine, walk through the park. you get to threaten someone's life and also save 5 minutes off your journey home.
win win.

Yeah I get the whole dont walk home at 2am through the park argument, however some people dont have the luxury of choice when it comes to their work hours or their means of getting there.

Also you think it is wrong to threaten force against someone who threatens to assault you with a deadly weapon?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
senario 3 4 youths walk past man with gun and try the same thing in your story but they have guns man pulss his gun shout one gets shot by atleast 4 that considering he acualy got chance to pull it because they will obviusly see him reach for it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

The cops would still probably arrest the guy for having the gun. Even if they try and take our guns away, how would they do that? Even the army is not large enough. Its all about survival. If you want to be like Jesus and turn the other cheek go ahead but I wont be.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The title to this thead is enough for me to say "Uh-oh" for you even thinking that. I'm pretty sure you have been "flagged" for just writing this.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
..by the way, I am not flamming you or bringing you down or anything but you really have to thinking about what you write before posting this stuff. ABC's are always sniffing out a good report to write ya know...especially on ATS.

new topics

top topics

join