It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google playing God: The Code

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Can Google set the course for human evolution?

This video gives you a small example of the true power that Google holds, while it may not seem like much its implications and possible uses are huge.
It’s quite possible that they can view the gradual evolution of the human species.
And considering they manipulate the results you search for, they may even be able to set a tailored path for that evolution.
Given that people adapt to their environment, and that in our modern lives sites like Google are a big part of that, they may have a lot more power than we had ever imagined.
It also makes you wonder how much power social media sites have in setting the course of evolution and other huge things like that.

After watching this video, can you think of any other uses and implications?

See how accurately the actual cases of flu (blue) matches the Google searches for flu treatment (red).
Given that they can pick the result you see and most likely click on this gives them tremendous power. For example they could make it so most people seek one type of treatment or that they don’t get treatment at all etc..
But this applies to all searches and all real life events.
For example they could limit the number of people attending protests by stopping them from finding where and when it is.
Or if the government wants you to forget about the patriot act, get you to be angry about SOPA.
Think about any real life event and it can be easily manipulated by Google.

That video was from a great BBC documentary called 'The code' which explains how numbers control our lives and everything around us in nature. I highly recommend watching it as it’s a lot better then I explained.

How Google tailors your search results
How Google tracks you

It is important to note that most large websites do this now, but no one apart from social media has the reach and potential influence that Google does.

edit on 28-2-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

I don't think so. Let's not forget that only about 20% of the world population have access to internet, and most of them are spending time on social networks, youtube or shopping online; those people would happily follow the herd anyway. It may be a powerful and influential medium, but no more than that, if you ask me.

Monsanto, on the other side ... can't be turned off with a click of the mouse....

edit on 28-2-2012 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Yeah, but look on the bright side, my brother,

chocolate rations are up to 25grams!

Doubleplusgood!

(it's deja-vu, don't worry about it)

Ahh screw google anyway, I've got android! aww, crap..

edit on 28-2-2012 by rbnhd76 because: Again. Obligatory 1984 reference is obligatory.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat

I don't think so. Let's not forget that only about 20% of the world population have access to internet, and most of them are spending time on social networks, youtube or shopping online; those people would happily follow the herd anyway. It may be a powerful and influential medium, but nothing beside that, if you ask me.

Monsanto, on the other side....

I should have said 'western society's evolution'. Because our evolution would not be connected to places like Africa.
Remember that evolution is a series of tiny footsteps, even the smallest thing can have an influence; and I think today the internet has a very big influence in comparison to other compounding factors in evolution.

Monsanto will kill us all before we get the chance to evolve.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76

Doubleplusgood!

edit on 28-2-2012 by rbnhd76 because: Again. Obligatory 1984 reference is obligatory.

Freedom is the freedom to say that 2 + 2 = 4. All else shall follow

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76

Doubleplusgood!

Yeah but when I search for chocolate rations all I get is soylent green
edit on 28-2-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat

I don't think so. Let's not forget that only about 20% of the world population have access to internet,

edit on 28-2-2012 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

20% of 6 billion is a pretty big sample -- I'm sure it is close to a brazillion something.
edit on 29-2-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join