It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head's Up Arkansas, Missouri, eastern Oklahoma

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
1 killed, 13 injured by possible tornado in Branson, Mo.

www.northwestohio.com...-k

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Harveyville Kansas had a tornado also.
kmbc.com

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Major damage in the next town over...1 dead..WSIL

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

FissionSurplus,
Thank you for your post & heads up! I am in Arkansas and it means a lot! I am pretty used to Tornadoes, that does not mean I enjoy hiding out in my pantry or anything..but I hope the weather doesnt get too bad!
& I thank you again for updating us!! Will pass this on!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Seems the storms have moved into
Kentucky today. Western and Central
Ky under tornado watch. My daughter
lives there so I will be keeping a close
watch.

Last night was bad for a lot of people
but not as bad as last year. I feel for
those who lost a loved one and their
homes.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
this is not going to be a fun spring. i want to buy one of those big storage containers (like a train car) to put in my back yard to hide in when storms come LOL!!! you can't put anything underground here so that seems like a good option. too bad money doesn't grow on the tree in my yard.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Good call. Im here in Pittsburg, KS and there was a tornado warning here last night at about 11:05 pm. From what I hear, there was some damage in the southern and eastern parts of town, but nobody injured or hurt.. as for me? I'm crazy, so I was outside looking at the sky screaming "it really sounds like a freight train!" and "the sky is GREEN! the sky is GREEN!"

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelsoftheapocalypse
Good call. Im here in Pittsburg, KS and there was a tornado warning here last night at about 11:05 pm. From what I hear, there was some damage in the southern and eastern parts of town, but nobody injured or hurt.. as for me? I'm crazy, so I was outside looking at the sky screaming "it really sounds like a freight train!" and "the sky is GREEN! the sky is GREEN!"

"as for me? i'm crazy". yep. i'm gonna have to agree with you LOL. part of me is fascinated by that stuff (i really want to see a tornado) but i would be in complete panic mode.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was in a tornado when I was 12 years old, I had just
come in the door from school and was going to tell
my Mom about the cloud I saw when all of a sudden
I heard that train sound and the house shook violently.
Scared me so bad - most of the roof of the house was
blown off but I was ok except for not being able to find
my Mom. I was screaming, finally found her
later at a neighbors house. So I stay in as safe a
place as possible when we are under a watch.

The thing I wanted to mention about this tornado
was that the sky was blue except for the funnel
cloud, I had never seen one before so I had no idea
what it meant. Don't be fooled by blue skies.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I've been glued to the weather channel, I'm SO SORRY for those injured and killed. Poor Missouri, what if they get another Joplin-level tornado? Where I live (way far North from there,..) it's been super windy all night, super windy all day, and right now, but the sky has been fabulous clear and sunny. If this winter continues it's warmness, (where I live, it's 50's temp) I'll have to be worrying about severe thunderers here. I feel so lucky I'm alive to feel worried and watch the weather channel today, unlike some just recently.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
weather channel just said that, another same system is moving, and in two days, will wreak havock on these same areas. 10 found killed in illinois so far.

Dutchsinse:

edit on 29-2-2012 by Saucerwench because: ad vid

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Tornados are not formed from straight line winds. A tornado is formed during violent thunderstorms when there are warm and humid conditions at the surface and cooler air aloft. The updraft where these fronts meet is the birthplace of the tornado. That of course is over simplified but basically thats the action needed for tornados to form. Straight line winds can be damaging and gusts during a thunderstorm can be very strong.

Hmmmmm. 13 Killed Overnight by Tornadoes in Midwest

Not funny exactly, but definitely vindication for the OP!

People that live in Tornado Alley can instinctively tell when a storm is a threat for tornadoes or not.

Good Job OP! And thanks for the early warning!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm so glad that the members of our ATS family are OK, but it makes me sad at heart to hear about the deaths, injuries and property destruction.

I have found that the severity of the winds down here caused by a spinning low to the north is directly correlated to severe weather to the northeast of here. This is the third such event I've seen in the year I've lived here, and every time, it signals a tornado outbreak.

When I saw the high winds yesterday, and they lasted all day long, I knew I had to sound the alarm. If I was wrong, the thread would disappear into the cyber ether and no harm done. But if I didn't mention something, I would have felt guilty.

Seriously, I have watched the weather and schooled myself in meteorology since I moved to Texas 10 years ago. Texas tends to be the bellwether for the south and midwest. What happens here tends not to stay here, and it amplifies when it hits gulf moisture-laden areas farther east.

Friday, apparently, is going to be worse, so don't let your guard down, folks. The craziness continues today in Kentucky. Another fast-moving storm from the Pacific Northwest is riding the jet stream. More wind for west Texas, more severe weather for the same areas that were hit last night and early today by Friday.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

When I lived in SW Missouri, we always knew that bad storms could come out of Kansas, but we knew the absolute worst storms came up I-44 from Oklahoma. Didn't matter if it was snow storms or tornadoes, if they came straight up I-44, they were going to be bad news! Occasionally a storm would back build and approach from the East. Those were always extremely severe as well, but they were so rare that it didn't affect us much.

If Kansas was getting snow, we might get a few flurries. If Arkansas was getting snow, we would probably get rain, but if Oklahoma was getting snow, we started hunkering down for a big one!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Exactly! A deep dip in the jet stream in the middle of the country seems to crank up a bigger bang, because it pulls the cold air from the north and the warm dry air from the desert southwest, and slam it into the warm gulf-moistened air. If it comes out of Texas and Oklahoma, watch out, and the faster it moves, the worse it is, whether it's thunderstorms or snowstorms.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
this is not going to be a fun spring. i want to buy one of those big storage containers (like a train car) to put in my back yard to hide in when storms come LOL!!! you can't put anything underground here so that seems like a good option. too bad money doesn't grow on the tree in my yard.

It usually isn't for people who live in the midwestern United States during the spring severe weather season. Because of another very strong La Nina and arctic oscillation this spring, the mid Mississippi valley and south east will likely bear the brunt of it like they did last year.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

Not good news, we will have to
be very vigilant with the weather
this season. We had such a
fair winter it makes me wonder
what Spring will bring. We have
another early start for tornados
this year.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
So let me get this straight.......................

If I randomly cast the weather on ATS I will get stars and flags out the a$$?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
So let me get this straight.......................

If I randomly cast the weather on ATS I will get stars and flags out the a$$?

Do you think that is why the OP did it?

The first two words are "Head's Up..."

Yes, there are plenty of silly ways to get stars and flags on ATS, go fake an Alien Video, you'll get hundreds. Too bad you can't deposit them at your bank though.

Instead of hunting for stars and flags, how about contributing some personal experience, knowledge, and observation like the OP did, and maybe it will benefit somebody else. Then you have something to brag about.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Wow. Just, wow.

It is not about stars, flags and attention. It is about caring enough about your fellow human beings that you risk ridicule to put a thread out there warning them to PAY ATTENTION to the weather because it MIGHT become severe. If nothing happened, I would have been made fun of and the thread would have dropped off the radar.

I risked it because I had a gut feeling it was fixing to get ugly. Any stars and flags are besides the point.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join