It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head's Up Arkansas, Missouri, eastern Oklahoma

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I thought I would give y'all a "head's up" if you live in Arkansas, Missouri, eastern Oklahoma, western Tennessee, western Kentucky, and even northeast Texas. As you can see by my avatar, I live in west Texas (border of Texas and New Mexico, actually). Today we have had winds in excess of 65 miles per hour. It has been EXTREMELY windy (more so than usual), and every time we get winds of this force, for this long (it has been exceptionally windy all day and continues to be so....our air is choked with dust and the tumbleweeds are flying), as soon as this wind hits a pocket of moisture, all hell breaks loose and somebody gets a bad tornado.

Please keep tuned to your local weather and keep your eyes on the skies, because there is a lot of energy with this front and it could get ugly.

www.weather.com...

www.weather.com...

Be safe!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ugh I had strong winds. Always worry about my shingles getting blown off the roof.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I live close to the OP, in SW New Mexico, and I can confirm those winds. I'm staying indoors today. It seems the strong winds are usually from the west here. Now I know where all those "tornaders" we had back in Missoura came from...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

Poplar Bluff - nice town, been there. One foot in the Ozarks, and one foot in the Mississippi lowlands.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Thanks OP, in south Arkansas here. It's that time of year anyway for strong storms to start. But can I ask if any of you have experienced significantly long and stronger thunderstorms over the past year, year and a half? The intensity is like nothing I can remember. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Tornados are not formed from straight line winds. A tornado is formed during violent thunderstorms when there are warm and humid conditions at the surface and cooler air aloft. The updraft where these fronts meet is the birthplace of the tornado. That of course is over simplified but basically thats the action needed for tornados to form. Straight line winds can be damaging and gusts during a thunderstorm can be very strong.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

I understand how tornadoes are formed, I have seen them form. However, these straight-line winds are not the only player in this game, there is a low just to the north which is pulling this wind up from the southwest. The low is spinning, and when this wind slams into the rotating low, all kinds of bad things can happen, hence my head's up.

Worst case scenario: Tornadoes and straight-line winds in excess of 70 mph. Best case scenario: Brief strong thunderstorms which pass over without the damaging winds and hail.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

We made sure when we moved out here that we bought a house with a metal roof. If we hadn't, I think we would have lost most of our shingles this year!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by larrydavid84

It has been dry as a bone out here, so I can't vouch for the more severe storms, but I do watch the national weather on a daily basis, and it seems that the Ark-La-Tex region and the Mississippi Valley, along with some southern states, are getting slammed a bit harder than usual.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. NW Arkansas here.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In a tent here in western Arkansas, finishing up my winter stay, before I head east next month.

Had 12 of my twenty four stakes in, put out another six today. I don't mind the wind, the tent is rated to 75 mph, but a tornado, well, at least they wouldn't have to supply a body bag, I'd already be in one.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
Ugh I had strong winds. Always worry about my shingles getting blown off the roof.

Made me grin...remembering living in the Philippines where I often saw roofs flying by.

Nothing funny about disaster but struck me as funny.

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by herenow

Yikes!! Stay safe, in any case.....is the tent rated for baseball sized-hail? Big hail scares the tar out of me. I imagine being caught out in it would be like being stoned to death, minus the insults in Arabic.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I heard a little something about this
storm this morning. I see we have
a Tor-Con index of 3 tomorrow.
Thanks OP - everyone stay on
top of the forecasts, stay safe.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Southern Illinois here....we are preparing right now...getting the flashlights ready..and moving stuff to the basement..

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Good looking out FissionSurplus.

S&F for you good sir and to bump so others can see this.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Saint Louis Missouri

World Series Champs + Professional Flood/Tornado Warners

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

I have a good friend who lives there. You guys get it ALL....tornadoes, hailstorms, blizzards, wind storms, flash floods, ice storms, you name it. You're probably prepared and used to the warnings, for sure!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Yep, southern Illinois is also in the bull's eye. My apologies for not including that in my original post. Stay safe!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Well, I was in 1 1/4 inch hail last spring in North Carolina, but softball size, guess I would have to do some ducking.

I do have a SAME weather radio programed for this local and the internet weather.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join