It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Preppers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

The Mayans had their Earth year measured at 365.242 days. I can assure you, they accounted for leap year. Their astronomical knowledge was right up there with our own.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonycodes
you guys realize that the mayan calender doesnt count leap years right? that means their date of dec 12 was 7 months ago, dont waste your money, nothing is going to happen

What have the Mayans got to do with natural disasters, the Straights of Hormuz, hyperinflation, or the Sun's 11 year cycle?

If you look at an elephant up close, with a magnifying glass, does the fact that you don't see an elephant mean you won't get stepped on?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I think you need to rethink your bugout plan then. Do you expect people who have prepared, worked hard, and planned to provide for THEIR family NOT defend what they've spent years building? Not being mean here, just being honest.

Very true.

Is it fair for those who have prepared themselves to share their supplies with domesticated people? If you feed them, they will simply decome dependent on you for their survival instead of the system.

If they don't know how to survive, and they want to live, they will most likely resort to killing and/or stealing. My advice is to be very careful who you associate with in a SHTF scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than for humanity to come together and help each other out, but I just don't think that will happen if people become desperate.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Another problem is that most people are addicted to food. They don't eat because they need to to survive, they eat because it brings them pleasure and comfort.

Most people even think that when they are hungry, they need something to eat. Being used to their 3 meals a day, they have no idea that the sensation of hunger is caused by the stomach contracting as food is digested.

The more you eat, the hungrier you will feel as it digests. That is why obese people who overeat are always hungry.

Don't associate with people who think they need to eat three times a day in order to survive. They will gorge themselves through your supplies very quickly. Also, if they don't eat for a day or so, their bodies will start burning fat. Then the toxins that are stored in the fatty tissue are released into the bloodstream causing nausia and headaches, and they (not having experienced this before) will think they are dying because they missed a few meals.

That is when they will become desperate.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
great plans.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

West Texas huh? Good area for a SHTF scenario, my family is from the Midland Odessa area. I am also already bugged out, moved to rural ND last year and found a very small town of about 700 people to.settle in. Surprisingly the majority of the people here are of the same mindset as me and most of my friends here are preppers to a degree.

We have a good blend of skills here, from farmers, a doctor and nurse, electrician, mechanics, etc. Like wear TX we are in the great plains which means plenty of wildlife and farming. We have discussed the possibility of meeting outsiders or wanderers when TSHTF and lime you we would take them in if they were willing to help out in exchange for their needs. As I told my friends though, I haven't prepared for over a year to have wanderers come in and kill me and my family, our safety comes first.

Luckily in this small community anyone that wanders up will be viewed with suspician anyway.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterFister103

But I have one big problem with these preppers. They're always talking about 'protecting what's theirs'. Most of these people seem to have the kind of redneck attitude that they'll shoot first and not ask questions later because the victim will be dead. I mean if there's only a few people walking around on the planet, and we all have our own little groups, what happens when one group bumps into another? If everyone has this mentality we're going to end up wiping each other out.

It's all about resources. If you boil right down to it, EVERY single major conflict in human history is always about control of resources. The SHTF scenario isn't going to change this.

Personally, I'd be much more willing to entertain the notion of partnership than shooting first. Sure, more people mean more mouths to feed, but it also means more skillsets and more labor also... besides, eventually groups may clash over resources, and if that happens (or when it does), it will be the side with more numbers and weapons that decides the outcome. Sad, but inevitable.

In addition, it's inevitable there will be bandits, people out to take the resources of others by force of arms, in a SHTF scenario. That much is a given. You can either be ready for them, or be slain by them while they take your stuff and rape your women. The only thing that keeps the majority of us humans civilized is the threat of consequences.

The MOMENT those consequences are removed (i.e. the collapse of society), and all hell breaks loose, as man degenerates to his baser level.

Don't believe me, watch some Katrina footage. It's a prime history lesson as well as an indicator of what will come in a SHTF scenario. And that was just a collapse of local government. Can you imagine it on a national or global scale?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join