It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Preppers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I've been watching this show on NatGeo a little bit, and it's a pretty good, informative show. I don't personally have the financial security to spend money willy nilly on firearms, survival goods, big train crate things, etc. But I still like it for entertainment purposes, and I might learn something about survival in such a situation.

But I have one big problem with these preppers. They're always talking about 'protecting what's theirs'. Most of these people seem to have the kind of redneck attitude that they'll shoot first and not ask questions later because the victim will be dead. I mean if there's only a few people walking around on the planet, and we all have our own little groups, what happens when one group bumps into another? If everyone has this mentality we're going to end up wiping each other out.

If TSHTF, and I somehow survive, I'll be most likely walking around on my own. If everyone's dead, I'll break into a house and look to hunker down. If I break into the wrong house though, I'm liable to end up a dead man. I wouldn't even be breaking in for malitious reasons, just my own personal survival. In a SHTF scenario, I hope for humanity's sake, we try to help each other rather than kill on sight just for the fact that you can't trust anyone.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think you need to rethink your bugout plan then. Do you expect people who have prepared, worked hard, and planned to provide for THEIR family NOT defend what they've spent years building? Not being mean here, just being honest.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Well I'm not saying I'm gonna march to wherever I know the most die hard preppers are and force my way onto their property, but if the world goes to hell, you don't know where you can go.

If it's a polar shift or whatever, my house will no longer be here, and thus I will go seeking new refuge. With the way some of these guys talk, if someone they don't know so much as crosses their territory, they seem very likely to just open fire....or at the very least be very mistrusting and pointing guns in their face.

I guess if it were me, and someone I didn't know found their way in my domain, I would welcome them with open arms and tell them I could use the company.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
We have already bugged out. Where we live, we can see somebody coming from any direction, from a long way away. If you were by yourself, it would be advisable to wave a white flag. We might come out armed, and ask you to show that you are not armed or aim to harm us in any way. If you seem to be just a lost soul, we might take you in and feed you in exchange for chores or something.

If the S indeed does hit the F, it will be the "haves" vs. the "have nots", and I didn't prepare for over a year just to have somebody come in, kill us, and take all our stuff.

So yeah, be prepared to have guns drawn on you, at least until you can show that you mean no harm and are just a lost human being.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If you're prepping properly, you're prepping with a group of people that provide different skill sets, etc. Therefore, you won't be lonely and need the company.

I have a group of people that I roll with that have been working since the mid 1990's to be ready. We all bring something different to the table, and have redundancy built in. However, if someone rolls up, walks up, crawls up, and one of our snipers sees them, they will become fish bait. Sounds bad, but that's the reality of it. You don't risk your survival (in a true SHTF scenario) for chit chat. Ever. Those are the cold hard realities.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I have to agree. It's hard to imagine a world where everyone you meet may be a potential predator that is there to take everything you have and kill you and anyone with you to obtain said items, but unfortunately that will become the reality.
The truth is, there's no way to know or predict if someone is going to be good natured or a killer. People will use their children and wives as traps to lull people into a false sense of security and then pounce the moment you turn your back. The greatest survival trait to maintain will be one of vigilance. Even the traders wandering around, whoe will depend on dealing with people will be on edge and ready to kill at the first "shady move" made in their direction.

A lot of the people on Preppers seem to have spent years and tons of cash building up their supply banks and will defend their property to the death. I can relate. I don't have near the dough or the property to prepare at the level they have, but I do have a sizable cache of supplies to keep me and mine for a while until we can sort out our next course of action.

[The most dangerous people in a survival situation will be minors or parents who haven't prepared.]
edit on 28-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
generally we have rituals for inter group meetings such as using a white flag to show we come in peace so think about it in the same way as you'd turn up in a small row boat to a large destroyer so if at all possible make sure you're in open ground in day light and they can see that you are non threatening which generally will reduce the stress level as dead bodies create effort even if it is just dumping them over a cliff as leaving them nearby to a settlement can lead to disease if unburied so letting people who pose no threat pass saves time/ammo/effort and even if its just getting told to 'geeet the f------ orf ma laand' along with some direction on the best way to go it beats ending up as maggot fodder

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Yes, and as an example, if you're traveling with a small group, and my larger group can flank you, and determine you've prepared and have the same mindset, you'll be allowed in if you're trustworthy. Or, we shoot it out...LOL. But, some "lone wolf" that didn't prepare will 100% be food for the dog or fish.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
only one of the reasons why I prefer being far from the cesspool of western civilisation ..

too many freeloaders let the whole damn house of cards collapse ..

if your not willing to work and prepare now .. you probably wont work then .. dont need deadwood hanging around leaching what I worked to build.

there are those who are working together and planning ahead it wont be total chaos ...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Parents with hungry kids will be very desperate. I would expect they would trade everything for a bit of food, but those with nothing and facing starvation will be ruthless. I'm not looking forward to having to down a father trying to feed his hungry kid, but I have my son to feed as well, and if it comes down to that last can of beans....

Not something I like to think about. Let's just hope this doesn't become our reality.

Speaking of NatGeo's Preppers... New episode tonight.

edit on 28-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterFister103

I think that if the SHTF, then all of these rugged individualists will be run over by those who combine their resources in a community.

If the SHTF, I'm raising an army!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterFister103

I have also been watching these programs and I always get a laugh. Some of the info and advice is very good, some, not so much.
What I have noticed is they meen to protect what is thiers from people comming to steel it or take it by force; if approached in the right way (offering to work or help) they would probably be more than willing to share. The key is that you should have something to offer in exchange and should openly approach with caution.
As a lone wolf type, living off the land and avoiding groups would allow survival for a time but is not practical over the long run, accidents happen and environmental conditions are subject to change, sometimes rapidly. Long term survival would require a protected base and at least a small group.
Some of these people are already ahead of the game by building a network of like minded friends and family and by being involved in thier community.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Surely OP is right. Yes I can see how those who have prepared for years might want to hang on to all they have.
But stop for a moment - first of all -- your plan assumes that all those in your Protective Zone for whom you have all prepared for - will survive! You may have planned it perfectly but when SHTF I don't think a Catastrophe of any kind will respect that.

Surely the whole point of trying to survive is to eventually create a better world than the one left behind - well in this better world we need a tribe that is strong and a strong tribe is a one with all the skills for survival and even if you've thought this out in your group - do you have at least two of each skill level pro - ie 2 doctors, 2 engineers, 2 whatevers - because if the one you have banked on comes down with some disease or is killed - well your stumped.

Tribes need to trade with one another to survive - now trading skills will definately come into it in any survival situation - Now if you intend killing everyone on sight - well your tribe will only last as long as your skills and a shortage of skill isn't going to help build a new world.

This needs lots of thinking about.
In the meantime like Dutch Sinse says : BE PREPARED!

www.youtube.com...

edit on 28-2-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterFister103
I've been watching this show on NatGeo a little bit, and it's a pretty good, informative show. I don't personally have the financial security to spend money willy nilly on firearms, survival goods, big train crate things, etc. But I still like it for entertainment purposes, and I might learn something about survival in such a situation.

There are two things you can start on right now. First find people in your area that are of a like mind. Get a group together that has some sort of plan withh a few people of different skill sets. This part is pretty much free.

Next, it is not as hard to start stocking up as you think. A couple of cheap cans of soups and vegs when you go to the store. A large bag of rice is very cheap. Try these few things and you will be suprised what you have in just a few weeks.

If your looking for info, use the net. Print just the pages you need are if thats to expensive just copy notes by hand. Do a few of these things and before long I think you will see why people are willing to fight for what they have. Its nice know that if your in a tought spot you can depend on yourself and your group not needing anyone else.

Another thing I think gets shorted when talking about preping is that it dont have to be a total collapse of the world are the U.S. Ask the people that went through Rita are Katrina. The earthquake victims in Japan. When its your town, home,family,and no one is comming for a while it might as well be the whole world.
edit on 28-2-2012 by David134 because: I still cant post worth crap

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterFister103
I've been watching this show on NatGeo a little bit,
But I have one big problem with these preppers. They're always talking about 'protecting what's theirs'. Most of these people seem to have the kind of redneck attitude that they'll shoot first and not ask questions later because the victim will be dead. I mean if there's only a few people walking around on the planet, and we all have our own little groups, what happens when one group bumps into another? If everyone has this mentality we're going to end up wiping each other out.

Yeah my wife and I were thinking the same thing. And if some body wants it bad enough.....
we both thing not having something somebody wants and strength in numbers will be the ticket.

Nat Geo lied about Critical Mass population though in my opinion. While propagation is slowing down in America and Great Briton its growing in the developing countries of India and the Asia's I think we will see it double in the next 5 years and have proplems way before their 80 year mark

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
IMO if there is some (survivable) wide spread disastrous event there will many more non-preppers than preppers left alive ... I'm talking about after the big die off and the smoke clears. If the infrastructure is beyond repair humanity will be forced to adapt. Eventually the preppers stocks will run dry and they'll be in the same boat as everyone else.

Hindsight is 20/20 and these DDP'ers who go to such extremes could turn out to be geniuses/overlords or kooks who have wasted their time and money.

I have emergency supplies and a plan to evacuate my family but I'm not going to spend what limited time I have on this planet sneaking up on my kids with a fake gun. I rather take them to the beach or something.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If the SHTF does happen it's important to understand that Someday we have to get back to civility and form communities again. Remember, no man is an Island. If someone wants to remain in seclusion it is their right. I won't shoot at anyone just because they are carrying a gun either. Only a fool would be walking around without some defense. A dishonest person would also know not to show a weapon. Trojan horses. I am not saying to trust or distrust anyone, I'm saying a gut instinct may be required.

We are not better than anyone because we are preppers, we are just more aware of things. Sometimes the wise need to look after the not so wise.
edit on 29-2-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I agree the show is good but now they are saying in another thread the large guy was declared mentally ill and got averytbing taken away. Yikes
edit on 5-3-2012 by lzkaware because: posted on another thread

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
...It's hard to imagine a world where everyone you meet may be a potential predator that is there to take everything you have and kill you and anyone with you to obtain said items, but unfortunately that will become the reality.
The truth is, there's no way to know or predict if someone is going to be good natured or a killer. People will use their children and wives as traps to lull people into a false sense of security and then pounce the moment you turn your back. The greatest survival trait to maintain will be one of vigilance. Even the traders wandering around, whoe will depend on dealing with people will be on edge and ready to kill at the first "shady move" made in their direction...

You reminded me of a line from The Postman I didn't even realize I remembered. He was with a girl in the woods, the scene when the first postman, a girl on a horse it think, showed up. He told the woman he was with, "This is the part I hate the most, is this person okay? Or should I just shoot them right now?" or something to that effect.

America was built in a world without rule of law. It can be rebuilt that way too.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
you guys realize that the mayan calender doesnt count leap years right? that means their date of dec 12 was 7 months ago, dont waste your money, nothing is going to happen

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join