It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Dumb people don't learn? It took a team of scientists to figure this out? Talk about ignorant.

Yes, but they don't know they are ignorant, that is why they did the research. Then they found out they were stupid for doing the research! Hehe, it does reaffirm the research, since scientists are relatively smart. Relatively, as this research proves

This research would be better explained through artistic translation...I'm thinking M.C Escher.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
And people make quite a bit of money teaching the unteachable.

Good to know these customers wont be jumping off the treadmill of stupidity anytime soon.

Well, some people can be taught other things than others. There is more skill sets in life than academic learning.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

This graph shows that the top quartile scored higher than their perceived ability... and, was the only group to achieve this (the other three groups scored lower than their perceived ability).

I wonder if the highly "intelligent" typically under-estimate their perceived ability, which might be motivation to prepare more diligently, and, thus, account for higher scores.

Have you noticed that people who think they know everything tend to do more talking than listening?

Maxmars, I got a chuckle out of your "severe" reference.

edit on 28-2-2012 by Cataclysm because: minor house cleaning

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
When I was a child, my father taught me the most profound lesson I've ever learned; one that has saved me from from going postal on multiple occassions. He said:

"Son, there's a harsh reality in this world, one that you can't change, but knowing this reality, and understanding this reality will save you a lifetime of heartache."

He went on to say:

"Ninety percent of the people you meet in this world will be #ing morons. A majority of those, you'll wonder how they survive without having to remind themselves to breathe. These people, being so many, are present behind the steering wheels of cars, sitting in chairs in Congress and the White House, and will come to work for you, or you for them. You cannot change this fact, but knowing they're there will help you to cope with living in this world."

He was right. I've learned to let the ignorance of others shed off my back like water off a duck's. I would go insane if I got upset everytime a ignorant person did something that corresponded with the title bestowed unto them. Looking over the obviousness of this "research", it would seem there's a bit of humorous irony here.

edit on 28-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Oooooooh I get it!
Its trying to explain the mindset of those who run for office.
Thats helpful

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This applies to the realm of psychology, and it's ilk. It is all too ironic really. It's history, and it's practice has been nothing short of destructive and perplexing, and to this day they still practice insane policies and hand out deadly narcotics and psychotropic drugs.

Incompetent people are too ignorant to realize it, indeed. The mirror shines brightly, please look into it.
edit on 28-2-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Incompetent people are too ignorant to realize it, indeed.

Just like how you are unable to realize that you are ranting about psychiatry and not psychology.

Psychologists cannot and aren't even allowed to prescribe drugs.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
And people make quite a bit of money teaching the unteachable.

Good to know these customers wont be jumping off the treadmill of stupidity anytime soon.

Well, some people can be taught other things than others. There is more skill sets in life than academic learning.

I never narrowed the scope of unteachables to academia. I know plenty of "special" folks who cant change their oil, cant tie a fly, can't bake a pie and can't shingle a roof.

Doesnt matter what the skill or information may be. There's always some folks sitting and nodding their heads as if pretending to understand translates into actually understanding.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
reply to post by SyphonX

Incompetent people are too ignorant to realize it, indeed.

Just like how you are unable to realize that you are ranting about psychiatry and not psychology.

Psychologists cannot and aren't even allowed to prescribe drugs.

I'm speaking about the entire field, all of it. Psychology/Psychiatry is the same, they bounce patients off one another. They deliberately send you to a psychiatrist to have you get medication, on the grounds that "they are not allowed".

This doesn't make it right.. and it doesn't somehow excuse psychology from what it is.

Though, yes, you'd be correct in what you said, technically. I assumed people would understand I'm talking about all of it.

edit on 28-2-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well, it all makes sense now!

Seems like the perfect time to bring up some old SCTV to illustrate what is being said in the OP for those who don't get it

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My mistake. I was under the impression from the OP that the testing was done under certain parameters. But to go back to my earlier post, in some tribal regions doing some really strange things could be considered "intelligent", so I still wonder, does that apply to this theory?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well these people usually have their egos inflated to an extreme degree by popular mainstream media and are told its ok to be right no matter even if your wrong because otherwise you might get self esteem issues, you know the people im talking about they think they know everything but they will combat you on one thing just because you don't see it exactly like them to the level of even making up lies about a person or rumors because you didnt go along with their program of how great and wonderful they are. See when i feel bad about myself i listen to a little lady gaga and laugh on for hours or niki minaj if im feeling especially frisky for a laugh.
edit on 28-2-2012 by nytemare797 because: typos

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Maxmars

Star and Flag!!
When I look at my younger self, I believed I had it all figured out.
I look at that dumb kid and say to myself, "how in the hell did you survive"?

the old saying is that wisdom is what you acquire after you know it all

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That explains American politics of course i am too ignorant to see that.

Second line is even more ignorant but to me this is making excuses just like every other topic.

Want to blame the educational system and hollywood and the internets but really here comes where that personal responsibillity comes in to play.
edit on 28-2-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by SyphonX

This doesn't make it right.. and it doesn't somehow excuse psychology from what it is.

Ah but what doesn't make it right are the people. Or the medicine being prescribed.

Psychology is very useful...it doesn't need an excuse for what it is. Seriously. My guess is you would be frightened if you knew how accurate some of it is.

link   
reply to post by Cataclysm

It seems odd that "perceived ability" is such a straight and defined line. I was thinking they asked the subjects how well they thought they did, if so that's some coincidence. You would figure there would be some variation.

reply to post by FugitiveSoul

That's the same thing I say to people I care about when they are pissed about some stupid thing someone did or said to them. It's nice to see that other people understand that little bit of wisdom as well.

Though I fail to exercise that as I still get extremely pissed off about things.
edit on 28-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

That's the same thing I say to people I care about when they are pissed about some stupid thing someone did or said to them. It's nice to see that other people understand that little bit of wisdom as well.

Though I fail to exercise that as I still get extremely pissed off about things.

I still get pissed myself, but this bit of wisdom does keep the offending moron alive.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Does that mean if your dumb, and know it, You're actually smart?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
Does that mean if your dumb, and know it, You're actually smart?

Either that, or if you say your dumb... you might be wrong.... no... wait....

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

That would be the purpose of the article, at least imo.

I think this is the purpose of the article (or of the study itself), well-hidden near the bottom:

Dunning believes people's inability to assess their own knowledge is the cause of many of society's ills, including climate change denialism. "Many people don't have training in science, and so they may very well misunderstand the science. But because they don't have the knowledge to evaluate it, they don't realize how off their evaluations might be," he said.

Now, whenever The Media says "climate change," they want you to think "man-made (anthropogenic) global warming." Just reading the article that Yahoo News (tm) linked to there will tell you that. So what they've done is subconsciously implant the idea in every reader's head that if you disagree with AGW, it just means you're ignorant about science and you should shut up and gleefully pay your carbon taxes. (Don't you love the earth?) But what if you're not ignorant of science and still don't believe AGW? Well, according to that article, your disbelief means you are ignorant of science, and anyone who denies AGW is an ignorant clod that shouldn't be listened to. And now they've given us (yet again) another scientific study to prove it. If, they say, you believe the sun is heating the earth up, you're an idiot. If you believe in God, you're an idiot. If you think evil bankers are taking over the world, you're an idiot. If you don't believe the official 9/11 story, you're an idiot. If you think we should just leave Iran alone, you're an idiot. All the experts and smart people say so.

I'm not saying the study is wrong. It's probably spot-on, in fact. But they've misappropriated the results and twisted them to give them a weapon to use against anyone who disagrees with their Official Truths. You watch; you will see this weapon deployed again. They'd be idiots not to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join