It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
To spot someone whose incompetent is when they say "I know". The "I know" should be changed to "probably is" or "most likely" or "such study concluded" or simply "I believe". This is what's called being critical of oneself. Over confidence leads to less critical and problems.
edit on 29-2-2012 by CantSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Another10Pin

I hated to parse your post and edit it to this single line, as it was an excellent post. But that statement of yours ... this is the true focus of the entire thread of conversation, is it not?

What I have witnessed in my lifetime, and what I believe your statement implies, is this ... there is a portion of the population that exhibits poor judgement and decision making capacity ... an inability to reason using logic or even exhibit some basic level of creativity.

There are many causes ... substance use and/or abuse ... physical, emotional, or psychological trauma ... lack of instruction in the public school systems related to logical argument ... peer pressure related to labeling ... rote memorization as a single tool for learning ... poor instruction or ability for associative thinking ... destruction of programs that cultivate creativity ... dumbing down our educational system and media to the lowest common denominator ... conservative cultural indoctrination or bias ... a culture that glorifies and rewards predatory behavior ... the list goes on.

But my point is this, the effect of those causes is, again, what I believe you imply by your statement. That either through genetic and/or congenital anomalies, parenting and/or other environmental factors, we are faced with a population of persons who are suffering from some degree of damage, educational failure, or developmental issue related to the prefrontal cortex.

That part of the brain controls those judgements of the human, and when we see that judgement exhibited in behavior, we develop words such as 'idiot' or 'brilliant'.

I can't remember who made the statement, "The forefather of every act is a thought", but it is true. Ergo, if the process by which forming a thought has been damaged or impaired ...

Well, that's my elaboration upon your statement.

Judge not, lest ye be judged. Muhahaha

The parsing was artfully done! But your comments surpass it! Thank you.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It

Well, duh. In the real world we call them "useful idiots". Unfortunately since the internet has grown, the pool of useful idiots has grow as well.

Most of the threads in the more active areas of this very board are started by useful idiots. They are too ignorant to know any better, so they spread their ignorance as if it is fact and its their religion.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
I don't think its so much that people are so stupid they don't know they are stupid, though that's pretty funny all the same. I think it's more in line with the idea that people try to change reality in their mind to suit their interests, much in the same manner that someone would realize they screwed something up then quickly try to find blame in someone else.

I would guess it's a survival mechanism. The wolf that worries about the rabbits suffering dies of starvation later on or never gets strong enough to mate, while the wolf that justifies eating the rabbit or is careless about it goes on to become the alpha male. I would imagine after evolving for 50,000 years if the wolf's offspring became intelligent the subtle trait would still exist and carry over on to other mental processes.

While not a perfect analogy I hope this makes the point, people might just be predisposed to justify almost anything if it serves their interest. Now we have complex things like entitlement and mental competition and such, the brain still thinks it's fighting to survive in the wilderness and that its interests should be met, even if they are trivial or material in reality.
edit on 28-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

The proof is in the pudding....

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorKarma
reply to post by intrptr

That was only in the movie "Dummy".

That was only a movie "Dim Bulb", about the real rain man upon whom the movie was "based". Beans and rice indeed.

edit on 1-3-2012 by intrptr because: spelling...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
If you will read the article again, it seems they weren't catagorizing the subjects into "competent people" and "incompetent people"- it was not about what the person is overall- but relative to the area being tested on.
For example someone would be called "incompetent" in "emotional intelligence", but could be one of the "competent" in "mathmatics".

We are all incompetent in some areas! I am totally ignorant and incompetent in plumbing, in math, in hang gliding, in trumpet playing and a million other things. Though I once took apart my pipes in bathroom to retrieve my ring, and I was pretty darn pleased with myself and consider that I am pretty adept with plumbing now. Or at least that is what I would say to my girlfriends faced with the same task and lost as to what to do! I'd step in and say, I know what to do, I am competent with plumbing.

Of course if I had to spend a day with a plumber, and have him really start explainign and showing to me the intricities of what he does, I might come to the conclusion that I don't know jack and am ignorant- in this area.

That is the very point here! I work with horses, and we always know an ignorant rider when they show up because they claim they are a great and experienced rider. They are not "lying", they just have no idea what is involved in it. They haven't been exposed to the technical complexities of the discipline, haven't really spent time observing those who are really, really good (and wouldn't be able to recognize it if they did). And those who are really good are aware that one could study and work on it all their lives and never stop learning, so...saying you are great becomes something they don't do at that point.

But that same person who is ignorant in equitation, and totally, dangerously incompetent, is probably super competent in other areas of their life where they may carry a lot of responsibility and be much respected.

Unless we're talking about people with mental or physical handicaps (which they weren't) then the continual talking as if there is a split between the ignorant people in the world and those that are not, makes no sense.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I think fixating on the word incompetent or competent missed at least half of the argument.

The field of competence is only relevant insofar as a person's self-assessment.

The point the researchers were trying to make a decade ago when this study was conducted was that true measurable competence is rarely consistent with a person's ability to correctly judge their own level of competence.

That could be about anything... being funny, grasp of a scientific principle, familiarity with processes or policies... the activity itself is incidental.

It's just that we are likely to think ourselves quite capable in areas where we are not. And it is not a matter of ego or pride, it is a function of self-perception. I think noting that those who actually are measurably most competent almost consistently project to their own mind that they are not "all that" and thus rate themselves lower than they really are, in contrast with the 2/3rds of folks who seem certain they are more competent than they really are.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
so, stupid people dont realize theyre stupid.no # sherlock.
and the stupidest thing is some university probably got ridiculous funding to figure this out.

The funding people were too ignorant to realize how basic this information is

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Extrapolating from that same study:

People Aren't Smart Enough for Democracy to Flourish, Scientists Say

The democratic process relies on the assumption that citizens (the majority of them, at least) can recognize the best political candidate, or best policy idea, when they see it. But a growing body of research has revealed an unfortunate aspect of the human psyche that would seem to disprove this notion, and imply instead that democratic elections produce mediocre leadership and policies.

The research, led by David Dunning, a psychologist at Cornell University, shows that incompetent people are inherently unable to judge the competence of other people, or the quality of those people's ideas. For example, if people lack expertise on tax reform, it is very difficult for them to identify the candidates who are actual experts. They simply lack the mental tools needed to make meaningful judgments.

As a result, no amount of information or facts about political candidates can override the inherent inability of many voters to accurately evaluate them. On top of that, "very smart ideas are going to be hard for people to adopt, because most people don’t have the sophistication to recognize how good an idea is," Dunning told Life's Little Mysteries.

It's official! Welcome to the Idiocracy.
edit on 2/3/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

As Jordan Maxwell says, most people would rather play basket ball, soccer, yak on their cell phones, read Vampire novels or watch some idiotic TV............they want to be entertained and don't read serious books, or do the research as to what is really going on.

Most people don't really want to know, they want to remain asleep and will never admit they have been manipulated.

Discription of video:

There is, in fact, a multitude of conspiracies active in our world today, ranging in scale and time span. Those at the core of these conspiracies are people whom we have never heard of and will never see. These individuals occupy top positions in government, religion, and economics--all of which are members of secret societies. Members of these groups who are displayed to the public as political and religious leaders are no more than actors paid by the System to lie about wanting to protect and help you. They care nothing about you or your family. Government and religion have been the leading causes of death among humans throughout history.

Areas of occult knowledge such as sacred geometry, divination arts, black magick, astrology, and mind control are being utilized by these organizations to deceive, manipulate, control, and kill the populations of the world. With piety aimed at dark and evil entities and energies they use their reservoirs of power, wealth, and influence to assiduously carry out their various agendas, in some cases thousands of years old.

Compartmentalization and fear keep members of secret societies ignorant of and loyal to their true purposes and plots. The 'Pyramid Structure' of power allows members to become completely compartmentalized; in other words, knowing only what they need to do and not knowing what everyone else is doing. The higher up the pyramid you are the more you know about the organization as a whole. Furthermore, tactics such as honeytraps and bribery are used to blackmail and intimidate members, forcing them to remain fearful of defecting and exposing the truth.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join