It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Not Possible.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
ok, i have long wandered why nobody has ever seen a time traveler. i know about the john titor guy or whatever but i think he was proven a fraud. now i believe that either time travel is not possible or the world is going to end pretty soon. i say that the world may end soon because i feel we are pretty close to making time travel a possibility. probally in the next few hundred years. if that isnt so then i think time travel wouldnt be possible because i think people from the future would come back and tell people that they just went through time. or the time travelers may keep it very very secretly. or maybee traveling to the past isnt possible and it is only possible to travel into the future. im really not sure but this question has gone through my mind alot. please post your opinion on this matter, i would really like some feedback.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I always thought that you couldn't go back to before the time machine was built because you would have nothing to go back to. I mean, the machine would not exist, therefore you couldn't go back to it. So unless someone built a time machine in 1969, and it still works today, they won't be seeing Hendrix play at Woodstock.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

or maybee traveling to the past isnt possible and it is only possible to travel into the future.

Actually... wouldn't it be the other way around. you can't go to the future if it hasn't happened yet. You could go back in time because it already happened. Perhaps Bangorang is corretc in a way. Instead of not being able to go back into the future because of no time machine, perhaps you can't go back into the future becasue at the point in time your at, the future hasn't happened yet.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The weird thing is that if you were able to travel at the speed of light you would go back in time but if your speed was greater than the speed of light you would go into the future.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
u cant prove time travel wrong yet u cant prove it right but i have reason to beleive it is possible , plus think about this if u traveled back in time even talking to another person could basicaly shift the variants in time in some way bad or good , is it worth it goin back in time and what would u acheive unless it was for personel , religous,country status and political gain as there is a natural shifting balance of power that cant be accelled because say for instance right now china or a third world country came back in time with tecnoligy and a particular country shot 50 yrs ahead in a matter of a yr panic buttons would be set off all around the world about the hows and wise and say 1 country has it then 1 day theoreticaly every countrie will have this but the thing is if britton and america had this and all allied countries had it no matter what tecnological wise ud always be on top and be 1 step ahead of all other lower end countries they just no matter what time because of shifting the variants globaly wouldnt stand a chance or retaliate

its a ?????? of time who got it first and who controls it now because if time is limitless then its already happened but hasnt if any 1 knows what i mean and if time travel was as powerful as it is and was reality ud always make urself smarter just that little bit sooner but theres a time when u have learned it all as much as ur brain will take in without evolveing and if there are other life forms just as human countries on earth basicaly some are supposed to be 10,000 to almost a million yrs more advanced so makes u think well if there that ahead then they will have this tecnoligy first and with knowledge slowly comes wisdom meaning they will shape there own destinys and any 1 else for that matter

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
its not possibile, for the reason stated, the only way to go forward in time, is to go into space, far away at the speed of light, and then come back to earth, it would be thousands of years into future. if u were to find away to go back into the past u cant go back forward to ur own time cuz the future hasnt happened yet from where u are- unless u go into space again and all that, but then ud most likely overshoot ur destination and me thousands of yrs in future

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
id also like to piont out if there is timetravel then there is truly no such thing as perminent death either that or time repeats itself just like the big bang then big crunch and following another big bang and so on kinna like a recycling proccess the very fact there is a unverse it did just happen and it cannot just end i beleive its like and equastion without a finnish 256.55555555555555555555555555555555 infinite and never stops

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm a time traveller. I came from the past to tell everyone where we have been. Nobody believes me. They just call me an old man. What would we call a man who came from the future? How did man receive God during his earthly sojourn?

[edit on 04/9/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well this all goes back to when I first found ATS... *1 hour later*... It seems that several people have come to the conclusion that there is a "time wall" between the years of 2012 and 2013. What could this be? Could that be when the time machine was invented? Or could that be when we are destroyed? I believe that this was found out via remote viewing, the Philadelphia project and others. Apparently people who have supposedly traveled into the "future" have not been able to pass the "time wall" until a certain date (which I don�t remember) where everything is destroyed and there is a HUGE golden statue with a horse and someone on it... Sounds like a bunch of hoooooie but hey I have heard several accounts of people saying the same thing although information travels rather freely now a days (in a sense of what "freely" really is). If you really want to find out more just type 2012 time wall in goggle and I�m sure you will find out all you want : D

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm a time traveller. I came from the past to tell everyone where we have been. Nobody believes me. They just call me an old man. What would we call a man who came from the future? How did man receive God during his earthly sojourn?

I didn't know you where from the future

[edit on 9/19/2004 by SirKillallott]

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

i feel we are pretty close to making time travel a possibility. probally in the next few hundred years.

Interesting considering the "multiple worlds theory" of quantum physics.

Kudos to anyone who actually reads all of the following quotes, rather than scrolling by it, but it does pertain to the issue:

Having examined Einstein's equations more closely, physicists now realize that the river of time may be diverted into a whirlpool - called a closed timelike curve - or even a fork leading to a parallel universe. In particular, the more mass you can concentrate at a single point, the more you can bend the flow.

In recent years, new designs for time machines have been flying off drawing boards at the world's top science labs. Exact specifications depend on where in time and space you wish to travel. You'll need a hefty CPU to solve the relevant equations for your machine's precise size, shape, motion, location, surroundings, and so on; the more accurately you can nail down these variables, the closer you'll come to your intended destination.

The designs that follow don't have the panache of Doc Brown's DeLorean in Back to the Future or even H. G. Wells' brass and quartz dream machine, but they do put time travel within reach of anyone with a couple of fast spaceships, a supercomputer, and a solar-system-scale machine shop. Warning: Time-space distortions may not be stable and may collapse as you enter, so approach them at your own risk. Also, when going back in time, do not - repeat - do not kill your parents before you are born. Wired takes no responsibility for parallel universes in which you find yourself trapped for eternity.

www.wired.com...

The above was written by Dr. Michio Kaku. His credentials:

Dr. Kaku is an internationally recognized authority in theoretical physics and the environment.

Dr. Michio Kaku graduated from Harvard in 1968, summa cum laude (highest honors), and number one in his physics class. He went on to the Berkeley Radiation Laboratory at the University of California in 1972, and in 1973 Dr. Kaku held a lectureship at Princeton University.

Today, Dr. Michio Kaku holds the Henry Semat Professorship in Theoretical Physics at the City University of New York (CUNY), where he has taught for over 25 years.

He has also been a visiting professor at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, as well as New York University (NYU).

During the last part of his life and work, Albert Einstein was on a quest to find the "theory of everything", an equation perhaps only an inch long that would unify all four fundamental forces of the universe. Dr. Michio Kaku has continued this quest, and is the co-founder of string field theory, a leading candidate in the search for a "theory of everything".

www.mkaku.org...

In other words, according to one of the leading physicists of the world you aren't too far off the mark in what you "feel" is possible. Heck, there are probably some time travellers reading this right now

MK

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
thing i cant understand about time speeding up with light spead is say i flew a plane at say around mach 10 if it was posssible its not like the time speeds a few mins or even seconds so why at light speed which is just a speed ur moving at then back to the same piont again at the same speed should only take however amount of time it did in the first place meaning i travel at light speed for 5 minutes and its say around 5.00pm then come back again same speed to the same piont it should only be 5.10pm

[edit on 19-9-2004 by Rugoolian]

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Some theoretical scientists think that if you traveled back or forward in time that you would be entering a different universe. So anything you may do in that universe wouldn�t affect the universe you came from. Theoretically you could go back and interact with yourself when you were a child but that child would be in a different universe. The problem is that you could never get back to the universe you originally came from.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
so basicaly can what ur saying about alternet times but u change over to a difrent universe which to me would mean that there is and infinite amount of possiblities, the meaning of life is infinite

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rugoolian
thing i cant understand about time speeding up with light spead is say i flew a plane at say around mach 10 if it was posssible its not like the time speeds a few mins or even seconds so why at light speed which is just a speed ur moving at then back to the same piont again at the same speed should only take however amount of time it did in the first place meaning i travel at light speed for 5 minutes and its say around 5.00pm then come back again same speed to the same piont it should only be 5.10pm

[edit on 19-9-2004 by Rugoolian]

Nasa sent an atomic clock around the earth at mach speeds and they found that there was a time difference when they got back. Also an american astronaut had a twin brother that astronaut went into space and circled the earth many times, when he returned to earth they said he was several seconds younger than his brother because of the trip.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If you take any stake in the multiverse theory presented by many Physicists and Cosmologists alike time travel is completely possible. I don't think your going to get any solid answers unless you just do the research yourself. I love Astrophysics and the like; its sort of a hobby, but I don't feel the need to write out long mathematical equations on this board or long explanations about this topic. Its really interesting and enjoyable if you research this material yourself as well.

One thing I will say is that there is no real solid evidence (mathematical or physical) that says one cannot travel back further than when the machine was built. I have really never quite been able to understand the problem with this. In fact, there is an Astronaut (forgot his name) that has spent the longest time in space traveling at a fast pace in the process. Because of this his body functions have acutally slowed down over 1 second than every other human on earth. Not only him, but tests have been conducted with atomic clocks that prove the faster one goes the more time slows down...so in essence...time travel is not only possible, but has already been achieved on a minor scale.

I would love nothing better than to talk in length on this topic, but without presenting you with over 20 pages of information and equations it would not be possible to fully express my opinions on this subject. Instead, It would be more beneficial for the both of us if you just did some research...its facinating stuff and will lead you into avenues you have never considered.

Remember, approach it with an open but skeptical mind. Don't take what physicists say as the full truth until you yourself do the research. Theories change all the time, and something we thought was impossible 50-100 years ago (ie Superstrings, Quantum Mechanics, etc.) are now commonplace amongst the scientific community.

link   

Originally posted by Rugoolian
so basicaly can what ur saying about alternet times but u change over to a difrent universe which to me would mean that there is and infinite amount of possiblities, the meaning of life is infinite

Yes, there are an infinite number of universes but it�s only a theory as of yet.

link   
well thats that ???? answered i did remember sumthing about 2 atomic clocks and the time differance was a second to be correct but the what clock went in time as they both had the same speed give or take the variants as i call it which speed could have been 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 mach difrence

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
this thread is making my damn head hurt!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
If Marty Mcfly and the Doc can do it why can't we right? Time Travel is possible! The reason they might not get caught is becuase their smart and know the side effects of being caught.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
eh personally I think time travel will never be possible . It just seems sooo hard to do. I mean how could you goto the past when everyone is here. I doubt there's a dimension in which time is frozen and the people are still young and stuff. Like say I went to the 60's to hang out with my dad I do not think I could because my dad is alive now in the 2000's . How could there be a whole time period still going on when everything has moved on?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join