It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds first air powered car!! Zero Emissions by next summer 2013!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

plastics are being made from soy beans also you know, and oil dosent revolve around every energy source, why you so negative?
and so when i bought my green hard drive its not realy green cuz when it craps out i recycle it? them lieing bastards.
edit on 29-2-2012 by SpunGCake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by proob4

if you want to have an idea of the engine they will use look up model airplane co2 engines. it will be that type im guessing or something like it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
all i have to say to every1 that said emissions would be as much or greater with production and of running this vehicle has got to get there head out of there crack and add. i agree theres alot of flaws in there design but this would be a practical way around.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpunGCake

plastics are being made from soy beans also you know, and oil dosent revolve around every energy source, why you so negative?
and so when i bought my green hard drive its not realy green cuz when it craps out i recycle it? them lieing bastards.

Not very many are being made from Soybeans, and of those that are made by soybeans, there is a diesel-powered combine harvesting those soybeans. There is a diesel powered generator pumping water to irrigate those soybean fields, there are semi-trucks running off diesel power to move the soybeans to a factory, and there is a giant factory running off fossil fuel electricity to process those soybeans into something else. There a at least a dozen chemicals, likely made from refined crude, that are used to process the soybeans and manipulate them into plastics, and then, once they are plastic material, there are trucks, and trains, and boats and planes running off fossil fuel to ship them to your nearest Dollar General store, so that you can pay $1 for it, and throw it away in a few days, and then there are more trucks and equipment to pick it up in your trashbin and haul it to a landfill.

Compare that process with what soybeans are really good for....... EATING! There are starving kids in Africa that would love to have some corn and some soybeans, but they can't because it is too important to turn these "green" items into fuels and plastics for the west to consume and discard.

I'm not negative, I'm just trying to drive home a point. What we think of as "green" would have been considered frivolous waste 50 and 100 years ago! We are not even close to getting back to the type of conservation and moderation that our grand-parents and great-grand-parents knew, and yet, we pat ourselves on the back for being green.

Green is turning in your glass milk jug each morning so the milk man can refill it with milk again. Green is eating off the same chinaware, that you got from your momma, and using it your whole life, and then passing it down to your own children. Green is buying a car, and keeping it running for 15-20 years. Pay it off one-time, and then take it to a local mechanic to make sure it keeps humming along. No payments, no banks, no trading it for the next, new, shiny, thing. Green is paying an extra 30% for some quality, solid wood furniture, made by a local craftsman, maintaining it, and passing it off to your children when they get their own homes. Green is buying food that is in season in your locale, instead of buying things at the big box stores that have been shipped 1 million miles for western convenience, when they could have just as easily been shipped to starving populations somewhere.

Keep in mind, this rant is not centered on you, nor anyone else in particular. I do the same thing lots of times. I like to have a kiwi fruit, or extra-virgin olive oil, or bananas or tomatoes in the middle of January, but we have to keep from patting ourselves on the back for being "green," when we really have no understanding of the concept whatsoever. The people that lived through the Great Depression were Green! They knew how to make things from scratch, and they knew how to make a can of beans and a Ham Bone feed a family for a week! We think the last 5 years was comparable to the Depression Era, but it most certainly was NOT! We don't know a thing about hard times. People in Somalia, and Haiti, and Guatemala know hard times.

We just had some minor inconveniences and we're proud of our efforts to "survive" and remain "green." We neither survived, nor remained green. Us in the industrialized western nations in the 21st century have no idea what it means to survive. Our mentally ill homeless people on the street live better than most countries average citizen! The worst of our population lives better than the best in other nations.

So, no offense, but buying a "green" hard-drive for your computer is about the farthest thing from "green" that I can imagine.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by MoosKept240
I think at 4350 psi that thing is a bomb waiting to explode.

and all glue construction.........

I wouldn't drive it.
edit on 28-2-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

4350 PSI I believe is the standard max pressure of scuba tanks so my guess is it is perfectly safe in that respect as well as most likely just has a tank like that hooked up to it.

Now for the all glue construction.....just give it one good summer day anywhere in the southern US and lets see how long it takes to fall apart. Why would they glue this thing together?

What about Boing's use of glue in their aircraft?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
...and then someone hit one of those extreme truckers BOOM...BOOM BOOM BOOOM BB B B OBBOBOBOB BOBOBBB you get the point...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

So, what you are saying is: When we eat, our bodies transform the food into calories which we then burn as we walk or other wise move around. This creates heat and has an impact on the environment in the process.

By this I would think it would be best for rest of the world if all people found a good place to sit and watch the clouds roll by as they starved to death. This would also allow their bodies to return to the ground as fertilizer for the plants.

Now what to do about all those other pesky animals that run around and eat thing. You know the cute kittie and fuzzy little bunnies. Do we kill all of them before we sit down. Would even that not increase the unneeded heat impacting the environment ? Or maybe we can teach them to join us as we sit very very still ?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

I know you are being facetious, but I'll give you an answer anyway.

#1, mammals need heat to survive. We must generate heat internally, so the heat we generate is not "waste" heat as a by-product of inefficient processes. You are making apples out of oranges.

#2, most humans in western, industrialized nations eat far more than necessary. Probably 4x more calories than are necessary for daily maintenance, and so converting all of those extra calories is indeed wasteful and unfriendly to our environments, and unfriendly to our own bodies! When we take in 8,000 to 10,000 calories per day, just because we like the taste of chocolate, or want to get our money's worth from a buffet, or we are addicted to coca cola, we are wasting resources, producing excess heat, producing excess biological and non-biological waste. We are also causing health problems, which require additional resources to take care manage, and which hurt our productivity, and which put a burden on our socio-economic and healthcare systems.

So, although your response was facetious, it is indeed a genuine concern. The vast majority of people in western, industrialized nations are contributing regularly to our problems.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

This little fat boy fould never disagree that we alll eat to much.

Just out of couriosity. Can you name the two leading causes of "green house gasses" to our atmosphere ?

This is no trick question. but I'll give you the answer.

The gass is methane and the two largest sources are termite and cattle f@rt$.

Yes, this has been shown years ago. This may be the best reasons to cut down on our consumption of meat and stop using wood for housing.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I read the article read some of the posts. And here is my opinion from a 20 year auto tech;;;

No gas station has the air pressure to fill the the tank on this car!! Gas stations use compressed air to fill tires and run air tools for repair...... 120-150 psi max!!!!

Also it will take 4 hours to fill the tank with the on bored compressor, it would use as much power as a microwave oven or air conditioner. That's a lot of power!! What do you think makes that power??

Also carbon fiber tanks are realy safe. Chrysler had a compressed natural gas (CNG) full sized van in production in the early 90s. It had 3 fiberglassed reinforced tanks on the chassis filled with 3000 psi. natural gas

The never had any problems with the tanks. Do you know what force is needed to crush a tank filled with 4000 psi?? Quite a bit!! The danger comes with sheering off the fill valve. Then you have a torpedo!!

I don't think this car is worth the problems, It's still gonna cost ya money to fill the tank

Just my 2 cents worth

Be safe people

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This is old technology being reborn. I actually rode in and drove an air powered vehicle in 1979 I think it was. The inventor showed me the article on him in Popular Mechanics from years earlier. Ford bought his patent for $50,000. He also had a motorcycle. He was installing a small gas powered compressor in the trunk of the car the day I was there so it could run farther. His car would do around 30 to 60 miles on a tank of air and he built it in his garage.

The engine design was from the late 1800's in fact. Similar to a rotary engine.

Not being safe it won't ever hit the US I'm sure. Here it would actually be coal powered.

We are on the edge of a major energy shortage problem right now because no new plants have been permitted in many decades and Obama is taking more offline. It takes 15 to 20 years to build a new plant after the permitting process. Nobody applies anymore because the EPA has stopped it.

Soon the price of energy will go up dramatically. Electric cars will be so expensive to charge it will be insane. Even if we start building new plants now it is already to late.

The head of Energy just testified that they are not planning on taking any action to produce more energy and have no intention of doing so in the future. It's clear that the Obama plan is to control energy use by driving the cost sky high. In fact he said so before he was elected. His own head of the Energy Dept. spilled the beans and exposed he has been lying to pander for votes yet again.

The poor he pretends to care about to get their votes will suffer greatly. Plan on eating cat food so you can pay your heat bill in the winter

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is very good news, India I believe to have a greater potential than most other places would for the technology to become readily available.

India is not fully under western corporative hegemony which they showed us by starting to buy oil from Iran for gold instead of the "petrodollar" reported a month ago.
Source: rt.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Am I the only one in this thread who actually like cars? The good old combustion, the roar of the engine while the needle goes past those 9k rpm, the smell of the burned rubber, all this mixed with the smell of a good pint of gasoline and oil wasted on that nice twisty mountain road with sub-par asphalt, the adrenaline while you downshift, feel your weight coming forward with the engine screaming while you're aiming for the perfect apex...

I dont want a water car... or an air car... or a nitrogen car. I dont even want them electrical or hybrid! I dont want to take 16 seconds from 0-60 on a hybrid because hes carrying 2 tons of batteries... stupid electrical cars dont even make a sound. Why? Because they're ashamed of trying hard to reach 70mph and failing. Now that air car...

Cars are perfect the way they are... (when they have 100hp per litre or more of course, not those stupid 4000cc engines with some flimsy 250hp but with so much torque you could move the earth axis - still they roar, so they're still a better option then the "clean" alternative)

I'm not talking about that stupid transportation that takes you to work every morning, like those huge and dumb suvs with no heart, no passion... I'm talking about cars. Real cars. And real cars have a soul.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samsquanch

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by MoosKept240
I think at 4350 psi that thing is a bomb waiting to explode.

and all glue construction.........

I wouldn't drive it.
edit on 28-2-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

4350 PSI I believe is the standard max pressure of scuba tanks so my guess is it is perfectly safe in that respect

Tell that to Jaws

No explosion:

I assume the tank would be built into frame so it wouldn't even move around like that tank.

Myth: BUSTED.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

A lot of parts in Aircraft are held together by glue now

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This is old news and as a matter of fact i remember reading a story about a french company back in 2008 about the same concept car. their design was a built in compressor that continues to compress air just as an alternator continues to provide electricity when the engine is running thus taking out the need to buy a compressed air. their problem was the noise level as the air compressors are loud. and what is it with people saying that thing is a ticking time bomb? since when is air flammable? if anything its the sudden decompression being that alot of energy is released quickly that would do damage. its comparable to a wind speed generating the same amound of psi when it hits an object. but folks the reason alternative energies not being around is because some rich people pay alot of money and go to extreme lengths to make sure they don't become common. every invention minus FTL travel, going back in time and most sci fi of modern day have been thought of.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by godfather420

Its compressed air, not flammable. If the tank busted it would have a quick air release and nothing else.
I need to forward this info to a guy I knew that died when a compressed air tank ruptured next to him. The tank pressure was 125 psi when it left loose. Both of his legs were severed at his hips. He will be glad to know that it wasn't any big deal.
Scuba tank explosion takes out WALL...
Bad report on air cars

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 1ncegreat

Read my post just under yours.
Look at the links.
The second link has a video that is about the French company you spoke about.

One problem with the onboard compressor, where is any of the energy coming from? There's no such thing as a free lunch.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
People that are skeptical should look at all the people involved in designing the thing. I highly doubt it is a pressurized bomb on wheels.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Actually, now there is a good question! I'm sure the original design has an electric compressor that you plug into an outlet for 4 hours, but................

I mentioned an inertial bank earlier. What if the car had 4 air compressors rigged to the wheels, and you expend compressed air to accelerate, but when you stop, you engage the compressors to provide resistance and slow the wheels and refill the tanks at the same time! Similar to my idea of an inertial bank, but with the tech of the compressed air car, and without the need for a heavy spinning flywheel.

It wouldn't be 100% efficient, nothing ever will be, but perhaps it could extend the range of the car by 50% or so, and therefore use less electricity to refill the air tanks.

See, now we're getting somewhere.

We could use 70's technology, with 21st century materials (carbon fiber and high-efficiency compressors), and a little innovation to capture as much wasted energy as possible.
edit on 29-2-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join