It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New World Record for Paper Airplane Throw

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Now that is a long flight for a paper airplane. Wonder how it was folded and what all the celebration was about is still a bit baffling. It was just a paper airplane toss and the folks in the video react as if they just won some hige contract or something.....

World Record Paper Airplane Toss

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If these are the sorts of things we have to be proud about, then I am going to slam my head repeatedly against the keyboard until someone introduces an efficient alternative to oil and politics.

Nice throw, man...now try practicing with the Congressional Board.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I wish I could have been there to cheer and jump around for the winning touchdown of superbo.....

Oh wait...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Come on people....if we get a minute to celebrate such things outside of wtf is going on in this world, I'll take it.

I'm a geek, and this was awesome. Love it! Now, what was his secret recipe??
edit on 28-2-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I completely agree, yet we still had to come here and watch this. I had to laugh at myself as soon as I clicked the thread because I was so automatic about it lol.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Aww... This is a light and uplifting little story for a change. Don't tell me we've all become so jaded that it simply isn't worthy of attention if someone isn't dying or likely to get that way eventually by whatever a story is about.

I'll bet this was a pretty big deal to him and the others who all seemed to have gathered there for it. It sure isn't my thing...but I can be happy for the apparent accomplishment of others. Nice one!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Come on people....if we get a minute to celebrate such things outside of wtf is going on in this world, I'll take it.

I'm a geek, and this was awesome. Love it! Now, what was his secret recipe??
edit on 28-2-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

hya
i cant believe i clicked this also lol
his secret weapon is....
a very light coating of pvc glue

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
LOL! The main reason I posted it was because I almost couldn't believe I clicked on the news story in the first place. Just made me reminisce on being a kid again. It was all the crazy cheers and hugs afterward that seemed a bit over the top to me.....

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
LOL! The main reason I posted it was because I almost couldn't believe I clicked on the news story in the first place. Just made me reminisce on being a kid again. It was all the crazy cheers and hugs afterward that seemed a bit over the top to me.....

It's a world record. I don't care how I set one, but I guarantee you I'd be celebrating just as hard as that guy.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Take that Wright Brothers!

Dude shattered kitty hawk flight with a piece of paper & elbow grease.
After this he's moving on to bigger & better things.
(shattering the longest spit wad distance)

He could just go to Tijuana, buy "Mexican pharmaceuticals" & just send a one way flight over the border.

Homeland security will never see it coming. Or pick it up on radar.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
S+F for posting this in the 'Aircraft Projects' forum. It's fitting, yet still made me chuckle.

Anyway, that is quite an epic throw. After reading all the comments on here I expected the cheering to over the top, but wow that was really over the top.

But nobody mentioned the commentator:

There it is... there it is! We are all over that one!
That's gonna do it... get up there, get up there,
GET UP THERE!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
When I was in School we threw paper planes off a castle on a mountain ( the castle was the schools summer camp ) besides the Mosel river in Germany. These things flew for hundreds of yards, almost across the Mosel. They should do their championship there ! Or create a new class .. outdoor paper plane downhill throwing or something like that

Edit: something like that:

edit on 28-2-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It was pretty cool to watch, must take some precision folds to get it to go that distance without hitting the rafters/looping. Also interesting that a quarterback was used for the throw - Apparently throwing a paper airplane that far requires strength, who would've thought?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I enjoy a little levity in these dark/uncertain times. Thanks for posting this, op.
As someone already mentioned, this guy not only got a world record, he also bested the Wright brothers with a sheet of paper.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That vid reminds me of my visit to the Eiffel Tower some years ago. When I visited, there were a few Jamaican guys selling these plastic bird gliders. Tourists would buy them, take them up the tower and then toss them off. The Jamaicans would then regather the birds and resell them. I thought it was a nice little game they had going on. They probably made several hundred dollars a day selling and reselling the same 8-10 birds over and over again.

edit on 28-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
i would like to see the plane.
what kind of paper they used,
what folding technique was used,
total weight,

the video was cool. i'd be happy like that too. but as a casual observer i want to know more about the plane.

subfab

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dyllels

Yeah....the guy filming it had me laughing so hard I coworkers coming over to watch. I wonder if he was the guy in red at the end of the flight that was running up to the thrower but kinda got left hanging.....

And I thought this would be a pretty humorous topic for this forum but also fit right in......after all it is an aircraft!

The guy that made the plane itself is pretty famous for making paper airplanes.....name is John Collins and he has a website on how to make paper airplanes..... The Paper Airplane Guy

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
For those interested, here are some of the rules for building a paper plane for use in a world record attempt:

The aircraft must be constructed from one sheet of paper only (using either a sheet of A4 or 81/2 inch x 11 inch quarto sized paper). The weight of paper must be no more than 100 gsm. The paper can be cut, but any piece of paper cut off cannot be rejoined. The use of standard light-duty clear cellulose adhesive tape of width 25 mm and total length 30 mm is permitted on any one aircraft. The tape may be cut up into smaller pieces but shall be used to hold down folds only and shall not be layered, joined together, used as a weight, used for laminating a surface nor used as a control device such as a trim-tab or flap. Glue, paperclips or staples are not permitted.

Found the info here. It's from 1998 but I'm sure they haven't changed it since then.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This is like one of those strange niche hobbies like professional yo-yo competitions. I find it fascinating that people can get so involved in something that, to those of us on the outside, seems so childish and simple. Then again, I like to collect certain things that many think are odd and ask why a lot.

I read a bunch of information online about this particular hobby and it seems to have quite a large following. There are a ton of designs on youtube that have some serious flight times as well.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thats was awesome, I want that record godamnit, probably gets some kind of medal too.

top topics

join