It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the choice of contraception take away responsibility ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The reason I'm thinking about it at the moment is because my partner has been taking antibiotics so we cant have unprotected sex until her next period, which in my luck(sarcasm) is only 3 weeks away.

Anyway, it got me thinking that if this was always the scenario, us always having to use condoms, then what would it be like if we didn't have any choice to use contraception at all, no condoms, no morning after pill, abortion, bin liner(joke) - Nothing, they're we're literally no way of eliminating the fact you have a big risk of impregnating the women.

Personally, if the above was the case, then I don't think I would of slept around as much as I did and most certainly wouldn't of had the same attitude towards girls that I used to have at that age & stage of my life.

I'm thinking about the bigger picture in society as a whole though -
Does the choice of contraception take away responsibility?
Is society sex crazy because we know we can control contraception? Then do people become "too easy" - paving the way for low self esteem, no self respect?

I just thought this was an interesting subject and worth a discussion on ATS. Maybe if contraception wasnt an option, society would be on a more respectful & responsible path?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

The problem is though, it is always an option. Always has been. Just not pharmaceutical options.
There are some herbal methods, that have grown out of favor or the government suppresses, depending on your conspiracy mindset.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Before the "Pill" there was plenty of unplanned pregnancies, but its ironic that in the USA the rate has gone up from the 50's and early 60's. link Back then the daughters of the wealthy went 'away to school' or took a unplanned trip to Europe. The poor or middle class were left with the 'homes for unwed mothers', or the back alley and the coat hanger

Is society sex crazy because we know we can control contraception? Then do people become "too easy" - paving the way for low self esteem, no self respect?

I don't think that this society is anymore sex crazy then say the middle ages, it is just that now TPTB are using sex as never before to manipulate and control the direction of society.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think no contraceptives would certainly make one think twice about jumping into bed with the opposite sex.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
There were ALWAYS ways to prevent an unplanned pregnancy. They might not be so common now due to new ways being found, but rest assured there were potions, herbal remedies, and other ways.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Sex is going to happen -- there is no responsibility for that it is a natural drive.. Planning childrens arrival or lack thereof is the responsible part.

Santorum and his ilk have tied sex up with sin and babies as punishment for the act. Santorm even had the gall to say the product of a rape was gods gift.

He wants you to be punished. I trust he will go to hell.

By the way how come he only has 5 kids after being married - how many years -- do the math.
edit on 28-2-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I don't think we have any choice but to use contraceptives. Given the amount of commercial advertising concerning KY jelly and other lubrication products (not to mention whatever other toys and merchandise are shown at late hours) we are practically begged to hump like rabbits in heat.

Therefore, to NOT use contraceptives is begging to realize the Brady Bunch concept. Lots of people in one big happy middle-class family.

Either lots of welfare checks, lots of infant homicides, or lots of crowding in the adoption agencies. Is this what we're aiming for?
edit on CTuesdaypm505033f33America/Chicago28 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Back in 1991, I had a temporary job working for the Mormons, who were going to every city hall, mortuary and cemetery in the US and putting every single birth, death and marriage record on microfilm. I worked for them at a mortuary which had been in business since 1890. My job was to pull out all the old records and flatten them out for them to microfilm the records faster.

Because it was slower for them than for me, I had plenty of time to read these old records. There was an amazing amount of young girls who died of septicemia (blood poisoning from massive infection), due to back-alley abortions, and even trying to abort the fetus by using a coat hanger on themselves. They ranged in age from 15 to 35. War years (especially world wars 1 and 2) saw a huge increase in these tragic deaths.

Now, these were only the ones who died from the attempt at abortion. No telling how many did it and didn't die from it.

I guess my point is, the urge to procreate overtakes people (women too, men aren't the only ones), and people being what they are, they always hope they'll get away with it and nothing will happen. How many marriages occurred because Susie got pregnant and Johnny had to "make an honest woman of her"? Remember shot-gun weddings? The only difference between then and now is, there is no longer a stigma attached to having a baby out of wedlock. No more shame. No more forced weddings. No more thinking that premarital sex will doom one to hell.

I think people have been the same all along, it is only the social mores that have changed.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Here's a theory...maybe we have socially accepted having children out of wedlock and in untradtional ways because innately we know that our genes and DNA are being compromised due to all the terrible things we are putting in our bodies and environmental factors. Of course we are just making another generation that will face the same problems, but maybe our bodies and minds are trying to make up for the flaws we are causing mankind.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
if you give a mouse a cookie.... will he want milk?

top topics

join