It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awkward word choice: Santorum comes from behind in Alabama three-way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ah, the great power of word choice. Ironic that Ron Paul wasn't in this poll although if you add up the results, "other" is winning with 47.5% of the vote. Whoever this Other guy is, he sounds cool.
Other 2012!!!!!

With Alabama’s March 13 primary looking more and more important, Rick Santorum has pulled even with the Republican field in a poll conducted by Alabama State University. While former House Speaker Newt Gingrich maintains a small lead with 18.9 percent, Santorum’s share of support has more than doubled in the last month to 18.3 percent. Meanwhile, Mitt Romney has slipped to 15.2 percent.

Texas Congressman Ron Paul was not included in the poll except for a choice for “other.”

weldbham.com...

Not sure if this should go in the Political Madness or Jokes forum, but it's intended as a serious article, so why not Political Madness?
edit on 28-2-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
An editor should be fired. Yeah it's funny and I bet it got some laughs in the office but do your damn job. It's not like we don't have enough misleading news story titles. "Man Robbed, Woman Shot" Is actually about a man who was robbed and a woman bystander that shot the perp. What did you think? That a man robbed a woman and shot her? Maybe that the man robbed the woman and she shot him?

I've never heard of an Alabama three-way. I'm guessing it has to do with 3 white guys all trying to be on top.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
That is just.. perfect wording, sorry, haha
It makes me laugh, =P, i wonder if they did that on purpose just for said laughs

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The OP's source article links to the poll itself. madvertiserblogs.com... Here are some findings:

The poll, conducted statewide over the past month, found 28 percent of likely GOP primary voters remain undecided on their choices heading into the state’s March 13 primary. Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich had the support of 18.9 percent of respondents; Santorum had 18.3 percent, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney had 15.2 percent.

The poll did not include Texas congressman Ron Paul, who was grouped in a category labeled “Others” that included candidates that have since dropped out of the race. Myles Mayberry, manager of demographic research services for the Center for Leadership and Public Policy, said Paul stood at 4 percent in the most recently conducted poll.

So, undecided 28.0%
Gingrich 18.9%
Santorum 18.3%
Romney 15.2%
Other (including
people no longer
running) 22.6%

The primary is two weeks away, I'm not surprised at the large undecided figure. But I am bothered by the 22.6% "other." Does that include "refused?" At least the way it's been presented it looks to be very poorly designed. And why would an Alabaman pick some one not in the race? Did they think it was a "who was your favorite candidate poll?"

About the only thing that seems meaningful (statistically) is the jump in Santorum's support. What a mess.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
What !!!

You have never tried an "Alabama Three Way" ???

Just don't knock it until you do!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
For those who don't know --

It involves a goat and a pick up truck.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's like the headline, "Congress Displeased at size of Obama's Package".

I think the writers do it on purpose.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Your headline brought up another one in my mind. It was a real headline for an article about how Dem. Rep. Anthony Wiener was going to have trouble winning reelection because the gay marriage issue was on the ballot in the same election and it was drawing a large conservative vote.

Oh, the headline? "Gay Marriage Makes Wiener's Seat Red."

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

I lol'd at " Alabama three-way "

Couldn't help it.

seems he is doing better than most people expected in some states.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Paybacks can be hell, but at least the word 'frothy' wasn't in that title.

And, you know 'they' probably wracked their brains for a long time to find a way to suggest exactly what is being suggested here. "Take THAT" Rick 'Santorum'........

I'd like to know a little more about the mindset of the person who came up with the title to this article, but the REAL question I'd like to ask would probably be considered to be as "politically incorrect" as the title.

:disclaimer: I am not a supporter of Rick Santorum......

top topics

join