It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Change the survival forums name to Prepping?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
With all the negative connections
stuck to the name *survivalist* or *survival*
now main stream, should the survival forums
name be changed to Prepping or Preparers/Preppers.

I do not find the name survival as bad, but
alot of stink has been made over if these
people are crazy or insane.

Maybe it is time for a name change?

Does not bother me anyway just throwing one
out there.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Anyone that thinks survival is bad, probably deserve the darwin award anyways

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That forum mainly talks about prepping anyway(stocking on food and firearm), i barely see any info on actual survival tactics that don't involve a firearm.

i seen few interesting ones, like antiseptic thread and other on-sight things that can be helpful for survival.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Hmmmm, I really think that "prepping" has a negative connatation/association from a mainstream perspective and much prefer "survival" instead. While it's interesting to hypothetically entertain the idea of surviving end of the world scenarios, the more realistic impacts of regional disaster, economic hardship, getting lost in the wilderness, going down at sea, etc. are also important to keep in sight and plan for. These are the situations that can impact the weekend warrior, everyday Jane/Joe... hence the reason why thread-series' that focus on practical skills are so great to read.
edit on 28-2-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Just label the forum "Prepping & Survival" (or vice versa) because they are separate yet strongly related topics.
edit on 2/28/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
"Establishment Authorities" have already categorized those delving into "Survival" as potentially problematic citizens... The meme has been embedded; there's no changing it now.... they won't let you... if you were to successfully get everyone to migrate away from 'survival' as a designation of 'being ready for whatever' and rename them "preppers" as you suggest, I expect they will simply add "preppers" to the "big list of Media Stigma" and in short order a barrage of media talking heads and print would circulate pointing out the 'kooky reactionary lunatic fringe' that are the "preppers."

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
With all the negative connections
stuck to the name *survivalist* or *survival*
now main stream, should the survival forums
name be changed to Prepping or Preparers/Preppers.

Your logic fails, "pepper" is what is becoming mainstream channel.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
"Establishment Authorities" have already categorized those delving into "Survival" as potentially problematic citizens... The meme has been embedded; there's no changing it now.... they won't let you... if you were to successfully get everyone to migrate away from 'survival' as a designation of 'being ready for whatever' and rename them "preppers" as you suggest, I expect they will simply add "preppers" to the "big list of Media Stigma" and in short order a barrage of media talking heads and print would circulate pointing out the 'kooky reactionary lunatic fringe' that are the "preppers."

That's cool makes sense to me..

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
My personal, non-official opinion: For good or ill, "Survival" is a more commonly-recognized term than "Prepping", the latter of which is more of an insider term than something most people outside the community would recognize.

Visitors and new members browsing through our forums are much more likely to recognize and understand what a "Survival" forum is about, so I think that's the best name for it.

Nothing wrong with promoting the term "Prepping" or seeking to de-stigmatize the image in the Survival forum, though.

edit on 2/28/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't like it...preps...used to mean something different when I was in high school...and it wasn't a good thing to get labeled a preppy!

Let's just leave it a survival forum...good enough!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Since when does the word survival have a bad connotation?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

i read with mirth the fantasies of some "survivalists / preppers" and think ` darwin award ` candidate

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Since when is ATSers concerned with public perception?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Good point lol. I particularly love the ones that think they are gonna be roving raiding bandits in the zombie apacolypse like it's some kind of video game

top topics

join