It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why flatworms may hold the secret to immortality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Why flatworms may hold the secret to immortality

uk.news.yahoo.com

British scientists believe they may have identified how humans could potentially live forever - and it’s all about flatworms

Experts at Nottingham University have been examining how two species of flatworms are able to regenerate themselves again and again – raising hopes that scientists could find ways of alleviating the effects of ageing in human cells.

Flatworms, known as planarian worms, have long fascinated scientists with their apparently limitless ability to regenerate.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Intreserting find, science as a whole seems to be progressing rapidly now. he research is obviously early on but it would be worth keeping an eye on it's progress, I believe we are going to have some breakthroughs in our understanding of DNA make up and how we can adjust DNA to fit certain goals.

DNA modifying - coming soon IMO.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Some jellyfish possess the same ability to regenerate themselves. It's not so much immortality as much as it is the ability to regenerate limbs, muscles, organs, etc. Regardless, immortality is a very, very dangerous concept. The first people in line for it will be the elite, and the last thing the world needs is for the elite to become undying. Think of the tyranny and what it would imply about our future.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Yeah, those flatworms live longer if you give them a little booze to. Funny how humans have so much in common with these worms.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Ah, don't you just love science? On one hand, they're figuring out a thousand ways to kill us slowly, and on the other hand, they're trying to figure out how to keep us alive longer.

As it stands right now, people are living longer, but not better.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

There is actually one Jellyfish that is indeed biologically immortal..

It is the Turritopsis nutricula or Immortal Jellyfish.

It can revert to it's youth, age, revert to youth, age, over and over, potentially for-ever.
Apart from predators and disease it is both immortal and able to rejuvenate.

Cosmic..

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
Some jellyfish possess the same ability to regenerate themselves. It's not so much immortality as much as it is the ability to regenerate limbs, muscles, organs, etc. Regardless, immortality is a very, very dangerous concept. The first people in line for it will be the elite, and the last thing the world needs is for the elite to become undying. Think of the tyranny and what it would imply about our future.

Society 50 or even 100 years ago were better prepared for such a scenario since the older generations were less susceptible to BS and corrupt politics then current generations that just shrug at the news of corruption and accept the elite as their saviors.

Just thinking about it, if society continues to decline, I bet the elite could convince the masses they are Gods when they become ageless and the media will willingly spin it so that anyone that says otherwise would be labeled as a heretic.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I can think of few regenerative medical applications .

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

Really?

I'm certainly living better than my parents did at the time I was born 53 years ago - more and better food, more and better medical care available, safer cars using less gas, more and safer air travel, more goodies in the shops from all around the world, a massively higher "real income".

What is it about my life that is not better??

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason Paul

Society 50 or even 100 years ago were better prepared for such a scenario since the older generations were less susceptible to BS and corrupt politics then current generations that just shrug at the news of corruption and accept the elite as their saviors.

ROFL - what nonsense - most of "society" had no idea of the BS and corruption that went on 100 years ago - there was less news and it was harder to get!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Ah, don't you just love science? On one hand, they're figuring out a thousand ways to kill us slowly, and on the other hand, they're trying to figure out how to keep us alive longer.

They are not trying to figure out a way for any of "us" to keep alive longer I can guarantee you that!! They are trying to figure out a way to keep "them" alive longer!!

You and me my friend don't mean a thing to anybody trying to figure this one out!! Sad to say.....

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Souls are immortal. Bodies???? In 3d at the bottom of the ocean? Um....we're meant to progress.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

In your parents day people went outside into the fresh air to socialize and DO things..

Today people hide in their caves and socialize on the computer...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I think that would be to our advantage. All we would have to do is kill one of them, and they will realize that they even their desperate grasps at immortality could not save them from the world. And then they would disappear into history.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I wouldnt want to be slaving away forever for the people in charge of this World!!

In fact i wouldnt work at all.... wouldnt need to eat!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It says in the bible "There worm dieth not"
I always wondered what that meant. It is for people in hell though, they don't die. I think when you are in hell you are sort of like those tuber worms they find around those really hot volcanic vents. The water is boiling and there is no sunlight, yet those things manage to live there.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

In your parents day people went outside into the fresh air to socialize and DO things..

Today people hide in their caves and socialize on the computer...

Speak for yourself - I'm from New Zealand, and there's plenty of sports participation and other outdoor activitiesthere.

Please don't lump the rest of the world in with wherever it is you are degenerating

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Stargate comes to mind.

I wonder if they got it right? A Goa'uld symbiote in the stargate series effectively makes someone live twice as long, if not, forever albeit taking complete control of their body.
stargate.wikia.com...

Gotta love the science behind SG-1 though, seem's alot of concepts won't be far from the truth in the future.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Lot of the symbols and gods names they use on Stargate SG1 are from the history books. I guess Hollywood knows that the more real stuff, especially symbols, you use in movies the more people are attracted to the movies. I watch Stargate, I like the older ones with Oneil best. I think I've seen every one at least twice.

The Goul'd thing is actualy sorta true but not as they depict. Our bodies use Chitosan to heal and it is found in bugs. I understand what the head of the AMA was saying when he said that medicine is having a hard time helping us because people don't eat worms anymore. He's right, people don't want to see worms on their Lettuce anymore. Chitosan was used on bandaids for many years to help promote wound healing. It speeds the healing process up over double. The chemicals that the symbiotic worms and microbes excrete in our bodies have effects on our metabolism also and sometimes cause our body temperature to lower which possibly extends our life. Having a lower body temp has it's share of problems though, it's not all peaches and cream. Microbes and worms in our body also effect our Hormone and Pheromone levels. Got much of this info from probably five thousand articles I read on Science Daily. plus easily double that elsewhere That's a good site, been reading articles there almost every day for about 6 years. Learning can be fun if you want it to be. Knowledge can be used in many ways.

new topics

top topics

join