It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small calliber long range shooting

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

how far is 183.3 enters ?

37.28 exits

edit on 2-3-2012 by charles1952 because: add quote

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

Thanks for the explanation about stationairy markers, it can work I guess but not it doesn´t seem practical in a field situation.

The story goes that a Britsih sniper team engaged two taliban firing a machine gun. at over 1.5 miles. the sniper made three shots, the first killing the machine gunner, the second killed the other guy as he grabbed the machine gun, and with the third shot he hit the machine gun to disable it.

So this guy had a 100% hit rate wich seems quite unbelievable.
edit on 2-3-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

I have read that the shooter stated, on BBC radio, that he took 9 shots to range the target and that he didn't mention a hit on the machine gun.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Ok, I googled it a few days ago and heard the story that way, it was a forum though so the information could be wrong, I just assumed that it was what was said to have happened.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The 22 mag... which is a much hotter and more stable round in flight than the regular 22, I found to be a "consistent: varmit exterminator and paper target puncher at 200 yards.
Alas, I miss those days...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

Originally posted by bastardo
reply to post by angryamerican

Wait what, that sniper held over 65 feet and then freehanded the shot, without being able to aim through his scope, and killed two guys at over 1.5 miles?

And you expect people to take you seriously?

Please tell me, how do you aim at the squirrel, since your scope can´t compensate for the drop?

1.5 miles heck the earth would have moved what 45 ft during flight ( just a guess)???

That is a great physics question. Answer is that the shooter is also moving at the same rate so the inertia of the bullet carries that same vector force as well.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

Originally posted by rebellender

Originally posted by bastardo
reply to post by angryamerican

Wait what, that sniper held over 65 feet and then freehanded the shot, without being able to aim through his scope, and killed two guys at over 1.5 miles?

And you expect people to take you seriously?

Please tell me, how do you aim at the squirrel, since your scope can´t compensate for the drop?

1.5 miles heck the earth would have moved what 45 ft during flight ( just a guess)???

That is a great physics question. Answer is that the shooter is also moving at the same rate so the inertia of the bullet carries that same vector force as well.

I'm tracking ya, but only works with paper or remote setup on computer program

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Well, that was good for a chuckle,if nothing else. I have to wonder where people get these crazy idea's about firearms? The OP must have meant 50 yards,or 55 yards. How do you even see a squirrela in the bush at 500 yards? Besides,as others have stated,neither scope nor rifle nor ammo are capable of said accuracy.
Now as far as .22 accuracy goes, I've had a little fun in that regard. Out here in Alberta,we have a lot of gophers or ground squirrels,which are about 1/2 the size of a regualr squirrel. A friend and I spent a couple afternoons on a hill where we could see and shhot safely for a long way. I have a heavy barrel Savage that is almost one hole accurate at 50(not 500) yard with plain ol Winchester DynaPoints. With one guy shooting and the other guy ranging and spotting, we were both able to make occasional hits at right around 200 yards. There was some wind, and it plays havoc with that little bullet at that range. I cannot imagine trying to make consistent hits on a small target at more than double that range! Sorry guy, you went a bridge too far!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Ive been on here for years posted tons of post all were factual So is this on believe it or not if not don't read it plain simple just quit being pricks to those coming to learn and I am in fact a trained sniper.
To the newbies keep practicing at long range and tell your stories the longest snyperper kill in the world the guy had to raise his muzzle 65 feet to do it. It can and is done. don't let those pricks tell you it cant be done because they don't have the skill to do it.

So.... what brand of 22lr ammo do you prefer, for making those 500 yard shots? Like that guy in the vid --- He can't go wrong very much, using CCI Blazers for his 500 yard shots. I like shooting my 22lr rifles and pistols at 200 yards at various sized metal plates. My gun range, here in Maryland has a 200 yard range limit. I can barely here the clang of the metal gong with 22 hits at 200 yards; using my amplified ear muffs.

I own a tack driving, Kimber Classic scoped bolt action rifle in 22lr, and a accurate dedicated 22lr AR-15 by Tactical Solutions.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Erno86 because: deleted a word, and added a sentence

edit on 13-3-2012 by Erno86 because: added a word

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join