It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth calling… but not very far....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Here is mind blowing reminder of just how small we are compared to the vastness of the universe. The small yellow dot - with the even tinier Planet Earth buried somewhere in its centre - reveals the limited extent of broadcasts since Marconi invented the radio in 1895. This is one galaxy, astronomers think that there are hundreds of billions galaxies in the universe....

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The size of not just our universe, but our own "little" galaxy is beyond comprehension. I think it's impossible that life does not exist--either microbial or extemely intelligent--on millions if not billions of other planets throughout the universe.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Thats not too bad really that small yellow dot, i mean we have only been transmiting signals for less than 100 years, imagine the area it will cover in 1000 years, it will increase exponentially i imagine.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Yes! But there's more...

Here's the Perseus Galaxies cluster:

No, each dot is not a star, but..... a galaxy!
It has a recession speed of 5,366 km/s and a diameter of 863′ and cover (only!) 15° apparent in the sky.
It is one of the most massive objects in the universe, containing thousands of galaxies immersed in a vast cloud of multimillion degree gas.

Photo Credit: Credit: Jim Misti (Misti Mountain Observatory)
edit on 28-2-2012 by elevenaugust because: Adding photo credits

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It is true that as of yet, the informational bubble around our location in space is pretty small. However, the fates of planets and stars, galaxies and clusters thereof, are played out over unimaginable time scales,over mind-buggeringly huge distances. No one should be shocked at the reality of this. If our computer and communications technology continues to grow at its current rate, and advances in those technologies allow us to communicate faster, and over greater distance, then that bubble will grow over time.

Obviously the size of it at the moment is so minute that it has not, in all probability, passed over a significantly interesting patch of space. But think about this logically for a moment. Who the hell really thought that slamming reams of data out into the cosmos in every direction was ever going to produce a tangible result? Bearing in mind the fact that when the first radio transmissions were sent, they were only intended to communicate with objects well within our own atmosphere, let alone deep space, I do not think that the progress of that transmission has been too shabby!

It is also important to remember one other simple thing. This planet, and therefore its inhabitants, have EONS left in them. Our star is not due to burn out, or fade away any time soon, and assuming we psychotic apes can get our selves together and start behaving like brothers rather than as mortal enemies, we could sustain our existance on Earth, or at least within the confines of the Sol system, for ages yet. We could colonise every spare square inch of rock in our system, and by that point we may have developed transportation and communications methods that outstrip todays gear by thousands of times, in terms of power and reach. Even if we have not achieved much more in terms of progress by the time we need to move off of this rock, those messeges, sent into the void in times past, and perhaps forgotten, will have moved an awful lot further out. They may yet have an affect in that regard.

However, it is not the size of the current bubble of data we have surrounded ourselves in that interests, or disturbs me. Size is not everything. It is the content that concerns me. The first data that will come to the eyes or ears of any potential lifeform out there, will be the words of the most dangerous, sick and perverted individual to have risen to power in the last centuary. Images and sounds of death, war, famine and the accumulated evils of a generation, will be the first understanding of our species, gained by another. That is what concerns me. If there was ever a reason to at least attempt to pass the light speed barrier, then this is surely it. I do not think that it is a fair representation of our species to begin our contact with another planets inhabitants, for them to recieve as thier first impression, that of barbarity, sickness and evil. These things still exist today, but they do not own all of us. There are masses of people in the world who, while not being sinless, are not the psychopathic progeny of a world gone wrong, but beacons of hope and strength in times of dire circumstance.

We may never be as good as we would like to be, or have the clean clinical and morally balanced future that fans of Star Trek would be familiar with, and we may never be as technologically advanced as that, who knows. But that does not mean that we should be happy that the first thing known about us, by any other living sentient being, is hate and blood. That is far more concerning than the idea that the current diameter of our communications bubble is so tiny as to appear as nothing when weighed against the size of the galaxy!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Cool thread OP S/F

It is amazing how large the universe is, also considering it is infinitly expanding at a rapid rate, who knows if there are many, many universes. Maybe even multiverses. Just plain crazy to think about.

We are merely a spec of sand on a beach 100+ miles long (metaphorically of course
) Still with all the research money we use to "find" and calculate distance in space we still haven't found a world like Earth. Giving the specs there could be a planet idenical to Earth somewhere out there.

As for life, it should be fact that SOMEWHERE there is SOMETHING. Just my opinion though.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Thats not too bad really that small yellow dot, i mean we have only been transmiting signals for less than 100 years, imagine the area it will cover in 1000 years, it will increase exponentially i imagine.

Yes but the signal at 1000 light years out will be so weak and degraded it will be just background noise.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Nice photo
So ummm how did NASA get a picture of our Galaxy?

But who cares how big it is... all we need to worry about right now is our neighbors

Your title says "Earth calling... but I see nothing in your OP about those calls

So... the Gliese 581 Solar System.... only 20 light years away so they would already have seen the episodes of Star Trek

Messages were collected and sent....

Hello from Earth.... at this mark it will take 17Years 358Day 23Hours 32Minutes 00Seconds to get there...

www.hellofromearth.net...

I DO have to wonder at the sanity of Earthlings though... when the TOP message is

Hello Gliese 581d inhabitant. Can you help us humans travel through space and become smart like you. Please do not eat us we are a friendly race. Angus Pigott Canberra, Australia

www.hellofromearth.net...

Forget how big the Universe is... until we can have spacecraft that can fold space/time its irrelevant and will just hurt your brain

Lets focus on the stars withing 50 light years... the ones that know how great we are from those Star Trek adventures

full size

But if you want to feel small... look at the yellow square below In an area of the sky about that size, they saw THIS

The Spectacular Elegance of the Universe, the best of Hubble in FULL HD 1080p NASA

Besides size is relative

edit on 28-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think I calculated somewhere that in order to reach Andromeda galaxy with the speed of light, one would need around three thousand years. Only worm holes, teleportation, hyperspace jump or whatever is in fiction becomes realty and the FTL recently discovered can shorten that distance.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

"Yes but the signal at 1000 light years out will be so weak and degraded it will be just background noise."

True, but the amount and strength of signals that our civilisation will produce in the future, barring any global cataclysms will increase exponentialy. Unless we decide to hide........To late, eh? Adolf Hitler's TV broadcast at the 1936 olympic games was one of the first wideband tv broadcasts i think, what a way to great any civilistation. What a first impresion.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Adolf Hitler's TV broadcast at the 1936 olympic games was one of the first wideband tv broadcasts i think, what a way to great any civilistation. What a first impresion.

Depends... if it reaches the Klingons, it may be a popular show

top topics

join