It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Santorum: "College is for snobs"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert

You made it easier to send your state's students to liberal slaughter! What were you thinking?!

Especially Penn State. Oh, the horror!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappyBunny

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Santorum is living proof of what a lack of education gets you - undying fame as the namesake for frothy lube.

Between this idiotic "college is for snobs" comment and his JFK "puke" comment, he just cost himself the primaries in AZ and Michigan.

Disagree. Santorum has plenty of education, and he's been educated by the same "liberal indoctrinators" as the rest of us. Santorum is an example of what religious extremism gets you.

That education obviously didn't take - he managed to get through college and still remain an ignorant, homophobic, xenophobic dunce.

BTW, the biggest misquote of this thread belongs to Santorum, he butchered Obama's statement, which is ironic considering how Santorum was fully behind it just a few years back.

This is what Obama actually said:

"It is our responsibility as lawmakers and as educators,to make the system work. It is the responsibility of every citizen to participate. Tonight I ask every American to commit at least one year or more to higher education or career training, it can be a community college or four-year school, vocational training or apprenticeship."

Even Santorum's fellow republicans are jumping to defend the president after this idiotic "snob" statement;

Rick Santorum's 'Snob' Lob Against Obama Brings GOP Governors To President's Defense

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Some of the leading Republican governors are coming to President Barack Obama's defense against charges from former Senator Rick Santorum that the president's push for universal higher education amounts to intellectual and political snobbery.

Speaking to reporters outside of the White House after a meeting between the nation's governors and the president, Gov. Bob McDonnell went out of his way to praise the administration's education policy, calling it one of the few areas of bipartisan consensus. He added that the pursuit of a college education was something that all lawmakers should push students to consider.

But maybe it isn't Santorum idiocy that makes him say these things but his flat-out dishonesty, since he also jumped on the education bandwagon, supporting College Access and No Child Left Behind;

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappyBunny

Santorum is living proof of what a lack of education gets you - undying fame as the namesake for frothy lube.

Between this idiotic "college is for snobs" comment and his JFK "puke" comment, he just cost himself the primaries in AZ and Michigan.

Disagree. Santorum has plenty of education, and he's been educated by the same "liberal indoctrinators" as the rest of us. Santorum is an example of what religious extremism gets you.

That education obviously didn't take - he managed to get through college and still remain an ignorant, homophobic, xenophobic dunce.

I wonder if he (and the taxpayers of PA) can get a refund?

BTW, the biggest misquote of this thread belongs to Santorum, he butchered Obama's statement, which is ironic considering how Santorum was fully behind it just a few years back.

This is what Obama actually said:

"It is our responsibility as lawmakers and as educators,to make the system work. It is the responsibility of every citizen to participate. Tonight I ask every American to commit at least one year or more to higher education or career training, it can be a community college or four-year school, vocational training or apprenticeship."

Even Santorum's fellow republicans are jumping to defend the president after this idiotic "snob" statement;

I know, it's pathetic, isn't it? Especially when he approved of spending lots and lots of federal dollars on education and voted for NCLB.

I wonder who else he can alienate?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Stephen Colbert did a beautiful segment on this, the sites are down so I can't post the videos.

For his part, Colbert took particular exception to Santorum’s claim that young people of faith are likely to abandon their beliefs while in college. After pointing out the fact that Santorum, a famously devout Catholic, has a bachelor’s degree, an MBA and a law degree, Colbert joked that “when he enrolled as a freshman at Penn State, he was a 14th-century monk.”

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

"Some of us weren't handed a ticket to Harvard by being the biracial son of a single mother on food stamps. Must be nice. Rick Santorum understands the real American dream: That if you work hard enough, your children can have fewer opportunities than you did," Colbert said.

nbc

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I met him here in michigan 3 days ago! :|

This is what he said when I shook his hand!

"How are you doing? I am the future President of America!!! You are a great person my friend... "
Then his guards pushed me off the stairs and I fell.

It's funny how he said: "I am the future president of america", he said it like he was getting mauled by a cat.

but, I hope that no one wins, I hope that Obama leaves..

Who will be in the presidents seat now??

Elmo.

But, I don't like much of presidents, I should be a president of Pepsi, and throw bottles at Santorum.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by The Sword

You're too afraid to admit that Obama's intelligence bothers you.

Let's revisit the topic of Obama's intelligence when he releases his college transcripts and written articles. Especially the article that supposedly was used to select him as President of Harvard Law Review.

Obama, the self described mediocre student.... He is a great reader and orator, almost like a carnival barker looking to guess your weight. I will certainly give you that...

The only writing that I can find from Obama is this thought provoking poem

Under water grottos, caverns
Filled with apes
That eat figs.
Stepping on the figs
That the apes
Eat, they crunch.
The apes howl, bare
Their fangs, dance,
Tumble in the
Rushing water,
Musty, wet pelts
Glistening in the blue.

www.nytimes.com...
Written during his Occidental years most likely while smoking a laced bowl.
edit on 29-2-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

Yea those stupid Alma Mater Harvard and Columbia students. No one ever hires them. Harvard only produced 75 Nobel Laureates.

Go play ignorant somewhere else.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Charmed707

Indeed. The first two years of my college life and the tuition spent were wasted on taking the mandated Liberal Education Requirements (LER's) at my university.

The LER's were to ensure that that the college produced well rounded minds. Hmmm...

Well your posts certainly demonstrate that at least the university you attended failed in that regard...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

LER...I think you got stuck on the word "Liberal"? In this context it is not speaking about political idealogy, but rather "Liberal" in the sense of a broad education that should be the foundation of a higher degree as opposed to focused vocational training.

Liberal Education Requirements at the University level include..

Mathematics
Science
History
English

And yes...Social Science and/or Arts & Humanities...oh...the horror.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Took those classes in AP format in High School and the necessary classes required for my major. All the rest were just a way to collect cash for the university and had no bearing on my major course of study. It was honestly like taking a series of review courses to keep me busy for two years.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

Took those classes in AP format in High School and the necessary classes required for my major. All the rest were just a way to collect cash for the university and had no bearing on my major course of study. It was honestly like taking a series of review courses to keep me busy for two years.

If you have the AP courses under your belt then you don't have to repeat the courses at University. They transfer up. It was that way when I went to college 20 years ago and it is that way now. Maybe your university did not recognize your AP courses for some reason?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Here is something applicable then since I saw a raking of the Liberal Arts Degree. This is a link to a site with a great explanation of it.

I don't have a Liberal arts degree...I work in Construction Engineering...but...this is good stuff nonetheless for those who have always wondered about that particular degree...and it applies to the topic overall...enjoy.

www.virtualsalt.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainnotsoobvious
reply to post by MaMaa

Read the thread...

He said:

Obama is a snob
Going to college will make you a clone of Obama
Going to college will make you a snob

Yeah I read it, but my point is still the same. He never actually outright said that college was for snobs. I get the deductive reasoning, but it was quoted as if it were said directly when it was not and is misleading. Yes I could deduce that maybe that is what he meant, but that certainly isn't what he said.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous

So going to college means you don't seek information on your own?

I'm talking about people who hold college in high regards and act as if its primary function and goal is to actually educate.

College is actually a shortcut in education.

Shortcut? Paying thousands for each semester and learning a bunch of pointless and useless information that one could learn quicker by their own means is not my idea of a shortcut.

People (me included) have grown up hearing over and over how vital a college education is. I guess it's true that the more you repeat something, the more people will come to believe it.
edit on 2/29/2012 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

depends on who considers it pointless. You get out what you put in. It's only a shortcut in the sense that its supposed to help accumulate knowledge in the right order. Math is a good example. Many people would just skip math and focus on what profession. I don't agree with the way a lot of things are taught, nor the price, but I don't see how the information is useless.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Santorum hit the nail on the head.

Few college graduates have useful degrees these days. So many liberal arts majors and "graphic designers", soon the only jobs in America will be teaching African-American studies, and photoshopping web graphics for government program sites.

Well how much does an engineer make in America? 40k? And then he has to buy health insurance too.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Most of the required courses have absolutely nothing to do with what we're actually going to school for. Many required courses have already been taken in high school where they were required as well.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by juveous

depends on who considers it pointless. You get out what you put in. It's only a shortcut in the sense that its supposed to help accumulate knowledge in the right order. Math is a good example. Many people would just skip math and focus on what profession. I don't agree with the way a lot of things are taught, nor the price, but I don't see how the information is useless.

It's not useless, but here's the thing. College is no longer for education. It's for 4+ years of on the job training.

I went to college in the late 80's. For most of us, we were the first people in our families to get a college education. Parents desperately wanted their kids to get an education so they wouldn't have to work in the mills and coal mines--they wanted us to have a better life than they did. Back then, the purpose was to educate, and part of a classical education was the Liberal Arts. Math and science are not useless--they're the foundations of the technology and innovation that made the modern world possible. By reducing education funding at the lower levels and dissuading people from taking math and science, we're going to fall even further behind than we are now. Our kids aren't just competing with the kid in the next chair for a job in the mill. They're competing with kids all over the world. And we're losing. (This is also why creationism/ID should never, ever be taught in our schools. Besides the fact that it belongs in World Mythology, not in a high school biology classroom.)

Then something happened and they realized they could make a killing...even more so when they know that not many people finish a degree in four years. Five, minimum. Kids pick their majors far too early, before they've had a chance to explore their options and find their strengths and interests. So they switch majors, and some credits don't carry over to the new major, or they have to take extra classes. Lots of money involved in that. Also, they realized they could get tons of cash by going with government subsidized student loans. Once again, the government comes up with something that actually HELPS students and those in the business sector screw it up just to make a buck.

Nowadays universities are for-profit entities. Like churches and religious organizations they still get federal and state funds. They even got stimulus funds. I'm sorry, but paying your provost or chancellor a million dollars a year when you're struggling is just poor business.

Edit to add: I'd rather be considered a college-educated snob than an uneducated, ignorant redneck any day, but that's just me.
edit on 3/1/2012 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmed707
reply to post by juveous

Most of the required courses have absolutely nothing to do with what we're actually going to school for. Many required courses have already been taken in high school where they were required as well.

Most high school graduates entering college aren't proficient enough to handle college level coursework as freshmen, even if they have to repeat classes. Think of it as "remedial education".

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666

Originally posted by DaTroof
Santorum hit the nail on the head.

Few college graduates have useful degrees these days. So many liberal arts majors and "graphic designers", soon the only jobs in America will be teaching African-American studies, and photoshopping web graphics for government program sites.

Well how much does an engineer make in America? 40k? And then he has to buy health insurance too.

Engineers make six figures easily.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join