It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning over sleeping pills 'risk'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

What the study does not tell you is that the risk of death from car accidents. industrial accidents and health problems from chronic insomnia are likely as high or higher then from the sleeping pills.

I know because i suffer from chronic insomnia from the fibromyalgia and autoimmune disorders i have.
and if i have to work i would be a danger.
Lucky i am on disability and no longer work for both me and everyone else.

Where just about everyone else has a 24 hour wake sleep cycle i am permanently on a 35 hour day.
When disease messes with your neurochemistry it can do strange things

Amen Anned. I have fibro too with chronic fatigue and a cyst in my brain that causes narcolepsy and migraines. With fibro you are awake so long but at the same time you feel so utterly drained. Have you had a sleep study done? My rheumy told me after the sleep study I had that most fibro paitients don't get Level-4 R.E.M. sleep which is essential to healing the body every night. When you don't get it, you can sleep for hours but your body will tell you that you only slept for one. Which is another reason for the fatigue during the day.) Feel free to private message me, I'll be willing to provide an ear.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntegratedInstigator
dang i use them almost daily, well at least a few times a week exactly for nights like tonight, its 430am and im still not sleeping
. I get the OTC 'unisom' which I suppose fall under the category of drowsiness antihistamine type. The alarming thing is that sometimes one doesnt work so I take two. I'll have to either rethink my nightly routine or eliminate coffee and caffeine from my morning routine
. I read somewhere that caffeine has a half-life of 5-6 hours inside the body, so that mid-day pick me up can still be in your system after dinner, but Ill have to double check that figure. EDIT Source of claim

Then again it seems like everything will kill you these days, so I may as well just keep doing what I do, right?

Interesting article though, thanks for the post
edit on 28-2-2012 by IntegratedInstigator because: (no reason given)

A few suggestions if you are worried about sleeping pills.

-Eliminate Caffeine at least 6 hours before bedtime. It would be better if you did not drink it.
-Eliminate sugar before bedtime.
-Consider Melatonin supplementation a few hours before bedtime.
-Workout daily and make sure you get 20 minutes of sun exposure per day (more if you have darker skin). If you can't get outside consider a light box.
-About four hours before you go to bed turn your lights off. The Tv or computer screen will provide enough light.

I suffered from insomnia for most of my 20's. These suggestions help nip that in the bud. I do have some nights where i get to bed later than I want to, but I still can get to bed and that's what counts.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I feel sorry for those that resort to pills to force themselves to sleep... However I will not nor ever take these despite I suffer from insomnia quite badly.

Seriously if your job is that stressful then why do it? Or at least as soon as you get home go have a snooze, if you can. Even just lying down with yours eyes closed yet relaxing and not moving is rejuvenating you.

There are people who only just do that, or maybe its a reverie (Sleep without losing conscience.) but despite you do not feel as refreshed, it beats popping down pills you have no clue of what they contain and any side effects... Cancer from sleep pills I was reading from OP I think??? What the heck is that. If all the supposed 'common quick fixes' have huge problems/effects such as CAUSING CANCER, then why risk it.

That above statement is actually a huge cause of alarm... Since it seems these days that every damn thing causes cancer, and yet our sunshine is blamed as the number one cause... Despite people smothering themselves in sunscreen that can "Cause cancer themselves" and etc. Anyway I went a bit off track but still, honestly. Stop popping those pills. Go to bed 2-3 hours earlier. Trust me you will fall asleep eventually. Or you at least will be rested despite no sleep.

Btw those sleeping tablets I bet have an addicting agent to them.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Meditation is also good for insomnia. I used to have bad problems with it but it got a lot easier to deal with after learning meditation a bit. All you do is meditate in bed instead of trying to go to sleep, because as your mind starts to play tricks on you and distract you from meditating properly as it usually does, one of its 'tricks' will probably be to nudge you off to sleep.

And also as you're meditating, often on the breath, your mind is clear of worries, fears, thoughts, etc, that would usually keep you awake.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Have you guys noticed pretty much ANYTHING you do is bad for you? Its up to you to decide to take the risk or not.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I have used one of the strongest benzos for almost 15 yrs for nerve damage and the only negative I can report is they cause dependence. Irrelevant in my case as the neuropathy is more likely to ruin my life than the drug which has only been a positive. In a world full of artificial challenges to the body , herbal preps are not always effective. As a result of using this kind of drug I do not drink.It is the mixture of these drugs and alcohol that is the killer much more so than the drugs.
All that said IMO this country is alarmingly over-medicated. We now have drugs simply to grow eyelashes and they are accompanied by lists of side effects that make me personally cringe.I think in cases where addictive or drugs of dependence are prescribed their needs to be a solid diagnosis and a prognosis of the chronic nature of a condition before folks are committed to them. There is no way in hell I would be using this addictive drug if the consequences were not severe dysfunction of my peripheral nervous system and now there is no way in hell I can change my mind about it due to the drastic withdrawal from these drugs. They are some of the few drugs which will cause death upon withdrawal.So while Clonazepam is the only drug which woks for me but leaves me functional if my supply of it were cut off I would likely die as surely as if it were insulin. That is where I am bitter about being put on this drug and into dependence before any danger was voiced. There are NO natural bandaids like for opiates ( grow some poppies) and it only takes a day to put me into cardio danger. So while my medical issues are severe they were not deadly, the treatment which has worked for the problems is deadly when no longer taken, Catch 22?
APB

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Have you guys noticed pretty much ANYTHING you do is bad for you? Its up to you to decide to take the risk or not.

Well, life itself is 100% lethal. So naturally it all goes down the hill after we are born.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Well, life itself is 100% lethal. So naturally it all goes down the hill after we are born.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Unfortunately I HAVE to take sleeping pills. I don't want to. I'd love to fall asleep naturally but sadly I cannot. I don't have Level-4 R.E.M sleep so even if I sleep 20 hours, it will still feel like an hour or two. Sometimes I'll stay awake for days before I was prescribed the pills. Originally, years ago, I went to my doctor for help and I got a snobby, "I don't prescribe narcotics for arthritis." I tried telling him I don't want narcotics, I want you to find out what's wrong with me and why I can't sleep. I ended up switching doctors, who did a sleep study. Between restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, and the Level-4 R.E.M. sleep I don't get, they found out WHY I was up all night long for years and years prior and that it got worse to the point of instead of being a night owl, I wasn't sleeping period. I now take over the counter sleep aids and melatonin. I highly recommend melatonin, but be warned, a side effect is can be some very vivid nightmares.

Why do you take the sleep aids with melatonin? Does it make a difference without the sleep aids?

Melatonin is what your brain makes naturally to make you tired. Why do you need to add OTC drugs to the mix? Just wondering.

It's also a lot cheaper than the fake stuff. Wonder why the article doesn't tell people to switch to melatonin.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Can anyone give a list of over the counter sleeping aids that are effected?

Just curious

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

I've tried meditation, self-hypnosis, you name it. The problem for me is I can't get my mind to shut off. I start thinking of what happened during the day, items I need to buy at the store, is this going to happen, I can't believe that happened, etc... I would love to be able to just sleep. Nothing to bring it about, but since I was 5, I've always had this trouble. I learned when I was in my teens that when I do sleep, my eyes are open and they follow whomever is walking about me. Sometimes this can lead to some very vivid dreams or even night terrors. Now I use a sleep mask to force my eyes closed. If it moves, then I wake. I think last night it shuffled on me 3 times and around1ish, and 3:30ish, I literally sat up in bed. This is with 2 over the counter sleep pills, 5mg melatonin, and 150mg of lyrica for pain. It used to be just the lyrica could put me out. Now, because I've used so much for so long, it takes more and more. But I just deal with it for now. At least I no longer take Ambien. Ugh! That stuff caused me to hallucinate, or walk around the house freaking everybody out because I was so high. I almost fell down the stairs a few times. Now it's in my chart under allergy so I'll never be prescribed it again.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by happyhomemaker29

Ouch, that sucks. I think if you're actually into the idea of meditating and you get good enough at it you could eventually use it as something that helps along with medication, etc, at times, because it can kind of a lot of time to develop. I do still get those nights though where not even that helps and I just end up losing sleep. Here's hoping things get better for you anyway.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy
Sure is sad how we all seem to need something to keep us awake and active during the day while also needing something to relax and sedate us at night so that we can sleep. Might there come a day where we need a pill for every human function?

Well that would be big pharma's wet dream! and make the population a hell of a lot easier to control as well.
So let's hope that we are capable of unshackling ourselves from the chemical prison that seems to control us more and more each day.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by oniraug

Unfortunately for me, melatonin doesn't do much except cause nightmares. It will mellow me somewhat, but that's about it. The OTC sleep meds only give me about 4 hours sleep. I'm up half the night. Ambien caused me to hallucinate and Lunesta was like drinking a glass of water. I did take Trazadone for sleep and when combined with the Lyrica, I slept soundly for the first time in years. When my tire flattened on the way to an appointment, my doctor dropped me for missing it. I tried talking with office staff to explain what happened but I got the "rules are rules" talk, so no more sleep for me.

Also too, I have a special needs child who does not sleep....period without clonidine. According to one of her doctors it's the autism. It doesn't allow the brain to shut off. She's on permanent On mode all the time. She's so spazzy sometimes it physically exhausts me and at times depresses me because of the help I cannot get her thanks to many services being cut. One of the ER docs she's seen last month allowed me to start her on melatonin because even with the clonidine she was getting up constantly, or on some days, not sleeping at all. Now with the melatonin she takes it about 2-3 hours before bedtime and gets tired enough to request the rest of her meds to go to sleep. Before I had to take her out of school because she'd go to bed anywhere from 7am to 5pm the next day and be beoytchy. Since the new regimen she's in school again, sleeping mostly normal hours. At least one of us is....

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I know ironically, I can fall asleep in a car, (and I have fallen asleep at the wheel or came close quite a number of times.), but it's not like I can drive myself to sleep, though if we had cars with autopilot that might still work.

Now I keep my car and my purse stocked with caffiene pills so I don't fall asleep at the wheel if I'm tired. I've learned to tell when I'm too tired to drive, but sometimes you have to, whether you want to or not, so therefore the caffiene pills.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Are you saying that it's less of a concern that sleeping pills and similar drugs may be contributing to people dying, because...they're older people?

That's how it reads.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

Are you saying that it's less of a concern that sleeping pills and similar drugs may be contributing to people dying, because...they're older people?

That's how it reads.

Obviously not. What I meant was that the mean age was 54 and that they should've stated that. Besides, this is one study, and all types of various factors will have to be taken into account for these results to really mean anything. To get any type of proof they'd have to do it multiple times, and also study the actual causes of death in each person. Like heart failure, cancer, dying in sleep, other diseases, accidents outside, inside the home, etc.

Then look at the sleeping pills group if it's still around 4 times higher and see if there's a big group of deaths caused by the same thing. Basically to try and isolate the problem if there is one, one test isn't enough.

I just thought it seemed quite a bit like fearmongering especially from the BBC and MSN.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join