It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Higher social class predicts increased unethical behavior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Abstract:
Seven studies using experimental and naturalistic methods reveal that upper-class individuals behave more unethically than lower-class individuals. In studies 1 and 2, upper-class individuals were more likely to break the law while driving, relative to lower-class individuals. In follow-up laboratory studies, upper-class individuals were more likely to exhibit unethical decision-making tendencies (study 3), take valued goods from others (study 4), lie in a negotiation (study 5), cheat to increase their chances of winning a prize (study 6), and endorse unethical behavior at work (study 7) than were lower-class individuals. Mediator and moderator data demonstrated that upper-class individuals’ unethical tendencies are accounted for, in part, by their more favorable attitudes toward greed.

Source

Two of the researchers are also co-authors of this related study from August 2011:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
National Science Foundation - Press Release

I hope it's ok to quote the complete abstract

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...
Rich people more likely to take lollies from children: study

Maybe they are concerned about tooth decay.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Live Science: Rich People More Likely to Lie, Cheat, Study Suggests

Bill Gates is always shown as counterexample.
Because of his investments in vaccination for third world countries.

"The world today has 6.8 billion people... that's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent."
- Bill Gates

This statement by Bill Gates was not made with any hesitation, stuttering or other indication that it might have been a mistake. It appears to have been a deliberate, calculated part of a well developed and coherent presentation. So what does it mean when Bill Gates says "if we do a really great job on new vaccines... we could lower [world population] by 10 or 15 percent?" Clearly, this statement implies that vaccines are a method of population reduction.

www.naturalnews.com...
edit on 28.2.2012 by grobi77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28.2.2012 by grobi77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Yup... I knew it. The more you're told yes and the less you're told no, the more likely you're spoiled behind is to turn out not recognizing, respecting, or even mentally acknowledging those who don't feed your hunger. Spoiled to the core... See it in my brother day after day, we aint even rich either.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Yes, many of us realize this already, and know where the extreme murderous psychopaths are too.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
The reason why this is true, is because the incentive system associated with being wealthy, encourages and rewards unethical behaviour.

You don't get rich by being a good person. Nobody does. You can become moderately wealthy ( as in, hundreds of thousands of dollars, to maybe being a low end millionaire at the most) if you have integrity, but you won't get super rich, and what comparitively little wealth you do get, will be much slower and more difficult in coming.

You become a billionaire, on the other hand, primarily by a willingness to quite literally build a pile of corpses, (whether human or animal) and then climb to the top of it. That involves literally every trick in the Machiavellian book, and possibly a few more besides.

I used to want money myself; but then I realised that I wasn't willing to trade my soul in order to get it. I have enough in order to eat and generally keep both net access and a roof over my head, but I don't own land, and at the moment at least, I can't see a way to make that happen.

In some ways life is more uncertain perhaps, but as long as I'm willing to ride the waves, it's also a lot more relaxed; and more importantly than anything else, I can both look at my reflection in the mirror, and sleep at night. I won't forfeit the ability to do either of those things, for any price.

top topics

join