It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the latest war video-games, actually a war simulation platform for the military?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
imagine it, all of the pc gamers, xbox360/ps3 etc.. all playing war video games online, and that data being fed into a military supercomputer, analyzed for sophisticated tactics to be developed through everyones mistakes and successes.

examples, Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 etc.. going back as far as (?)...

I know some of you are going to tell me that they are simply game developers and distributors creating a game for everyones entertainment, which is most likely a fact, but when I see the state of society, the unjust wars we fight on behalf of the corruption in most elected offices and some law enforcement agencies coupled with a high tech superiority complex, it leads me to believe that the naive developers were playing their part, earning their pay.

we know they have done tests on the public, all kinds of tests.
through online war simulation, they wouldn't be having computer sims fighting each other creating faulty intel for future wars, what better way to record all that data then to sell people a box that allows them to play a war simulation with other people, having every type of personality and intelligence clash, then be able to go back and sift through that data. it would be a crappy job, and not even a good conspiracy really unless they are able to abstract something useful. i'm crazy enough to wonder about it, but they're probably crazy enough to be doing it right now.

just interested in what you all have to say about this

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

It could well be, I don't know but they do use games for PR and recruitment purposes. I played this one a few years ago, America's Army. Free, written by the US military or using their money anyway and multiplayer online.
Wiki Link

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

The US military has the teachings of Quantico and Langley to fall back on. Do you really think they need help from some morons sitting in their basements? War-like video games have no firm basis in reality, as it is, and you think that fictional works are going to help the military do it's job. You overshot your mark big time with this one. Yes, they are there to promote the sh t out of the military and build public acceptance of it, but if you think the military industrial complex needs help from the likes of civvies who know nothing about war, playing videogames that are nothing like war, than you need to pull your head out of the clouds and come back down to earth.
edit on 27/2/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

No offense meant by this statement... but...

D'uh.

The US Army has built and sponsored the game America's Army for years. It is a free to play First Person Shooter that is made free just to get people absorbed into the game and to raise enlistment numbers.

I mean they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I think it'd be fair to say that it could be used to encourage people to join but I don't think they're keeping a database of those users that are good and trying to recruit them. Like an above poster stated, the difference between reality and these games are immense.

Obviously people that play these games could be inclined to join. But it could go both ways.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I know some of you are going to tell me that they are simply game developers and distributors creating a game for everyones entertainment

Not me man, that's pretty much what I think is going on too.
They have the Xbox live database to analyze all that data and do whatever they want with it. The abuse factor is ridiculously high and I refuse to ever join LIVE for Xbox, which deprives me of many extras in games, to entice me to get LIVE, but alas, I withhold the urge and enjoy my game without the annoying multi player aspects.

Let's say I am playing GTA4 and decide all I want to do today is sit on top a skyscraper and obliterate police all day using the cheat codes... which I do from time to time. Sometimes I throw grenades in the water and try to catch dead police by blowing them out of the water into my boat... I call it fishing.

If that was being recorded on Xbox LIVE, I'd have a crew of fat head SWAT cops banging down my door the minute the next full fledged NDAA is put in full effect. Maybe I enjoy abstractly kicking the cops' asses in my video game, I don't need Microsoft monitoring my anti-American activities, which they do. Xbox LIVE is for people who want to play games with their friends, but don't really know the bigger picture IMHO.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well you must know about "America's Army" the video game created by the military and it was actually a high quality game when it was released.. they gave it away as free downloads.. it was just a tool for recruiting young men.

edit on 2/27/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

link   
i believe call of duty actually work with the US military on their games so it wouldn't suprise me in the least. they certainly can sway a person. i have heard many an xbox live player tell me how they 're gonna be a bad ass sniper when they join the army. it saddens me (not that they want to join the army but more it's their mindset at wanting to kill). i play call of duty for the Nazi Zombie modes other than that i just play FIFA 12, Forza 4 and Super Meatboy.

link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

The US military has the teachings of Quantico and Langley to fall back on. Do you really think they need help from some morons sitting in their basements? War-like video games have no firm basis in reality, as it is, and you think that fictional works are going to help the military do it's job. You overshot your mark big time with this one. Yes, they are there to promote the sh t out of the military and build public acceptance of it, but if you think the military industrial complex needs help from the likes of civvies who know nothing about war, playing videogames that are nothing like war, than you need to pull your head out of the clouds and come back down to earth.
edit on 27/2/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

you assume everyone who plays video games are dumb civis, which a good portion is a certainty, but still to generalize...you would undeniably have people that stand out beyond the rest, way beyond the rest, and it will undoubtably be due to their personal experiences.

I wasn't speaking in the sense that they would use only this data, strictly. of course not. the military is not dumb.
but it would be an extra set of data that was never avaliable before.
these games are designed to be a way to familiarize people with war, immerse them in it. sounds, and ideas.
opening their minds to how to kill, defeating your opponent, and ultimately winning.

link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

The OP is under the misconception that the US MIC uses said games to "perfect" their tactics. Utterly misguided if you ask me. To think that the military needs the help of amateurs with no training is asinine at best. That's why they have OCS and CDDS. To train officers to do their jobs (that includes tactics, obviously). Gotta love the civvie opinions about the military sometimes.Especially when I am in need of comic relief. It's amazing how alot of what you guys assume has no real basis in reality. Then again, I don't really blame you guys, as all you know about war is what you are shown through said games and military movies that also have no basis in reality.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Oh god, CoD is not a war simulation by any means...
At the most, these games may be getting people to be more open to the ideas of war and conflict, but it's not any kind of realistic means for gathering tactical data.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
CoD, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Battlefield and all those War simulator games - I don't support them one bit.

They are all a type of War Propaganda aimed to de-sensitize the public. Whether it be War in Afghanistan or War on "Terror"....by playing these real life scenarios over and over as games - the public begins to accept them much more easily.

While some are examples of History like Medal of Honor....I do not find it appropriate to re-enact current and future Wars.

Especially when the current and possibly future wars being waged are all based on unjust reasons.

link   

You fail to grasp the point that I am trying to convey. Video games themselves have no basis in reality, tactically or otherwise, so it is absolutely asinine to say that the most powerful military in the world is getting pointers from people who play said games. Also, are you the exception that you speak of? Take it from someone who actually knows. Video games are nothing like war. Not in the slightest.

link   
I believe you are misinterpreting what i'm saying.
this thread isn't about how the games influence people militarily,
it's about having access to the data from the "battles" that are recorded in the games now a days.

it's a simple concept that the military can reap benefits from otherwise remedial information, to you or I.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

You also fail to realise that those of us with actual military experience have no real desire to play war-based videogames, as once you have seen the real thing, you realize how much of a parody of it video games are.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

And it still has no basis in reality. Seriously, take it from someone who knows (in case you haven't figured it out yet, that's me), you are wrong. Plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

You fail to grasp the point that I am trying to convey. Video games themselves have no basis in reality, tactically or otherwise, so it is absolutely asinine to say that the most powerful military in the world is getting pointers from people who play said games. Also, are you the exception that you speak of? Take it from someone who actually knows. Video games are nothing like war. Not in the slightest.

of course video games aren't like war, but they are trying to produce a war-like atmosphere, and giving players the tools to understand the basic principles, of course Jimmy in his basement wouldn't last more then 10 minutes in Fallujah, but that's not the point, the data from these games is at an all time high, you can find your rank and whatever in a heartbeat, every shot, and step is recorded. i'm putting the idea that if the military wanted to find an alterior source of information, if what they've learned had become stagnant, who knows, it's a random topic and i'm glad you're here to post your thoughts on it.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

You agreed with me just enough to make it sound like you were right to begin with, but you are flip-flopping all over the place. You made your argument, which was shown to be false. If you really wanna know for sure, don't take my word for it, enlist. See for yourself. I am not saying that you are gonna like what you see, but you need to realize that people who have not learned of war with their own eyes will never understand it, and since you do not understand it, you should not comment on it, if you don't mind me saying so. You can comment about the whys and the whats and whether or not we should be doing what we are, but please, do not comment on the logistics as you only end up looking like a fool.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
www.disinfo.com...

Computer scientists just up the Thruway at Rome’s Air Force Research Lab have assembled one of the world’s largest, fastest and cheapest supercomputers — and it’s made from PlayStation 3s.

By linking together 1,716 PlayStation 3s, they’ve created a supercomputer that’s very good at processing, manipulating and interpreting vast amounts of imagery. This will provide analysts with new levels of detail from the pictures gathered on long surveillance flights by spy planes.

I like the name of the link lol. but it's true.
edit on 27-2-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I don't think the military would sponsor these kinds of games where players are encouraged to dual wield SMGs and run out into the open spraying bullets everywhere, and lunging at every enemy with your knife whenever you get the chance. CoD is quite a bit different from a military simulator.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join