It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks, the law and you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone out there had any "real" information about the legality of posting emails from wikileaks. I have seen it becoming more and more common that businesses put the disclaimers at the bottom of their emails claiming "message intended for the party above" and "do not misuse any information on this page" etc. Is any of that legally binding? Does the freedom of the press come into play here? Just wondering about the overall legality of passing around those emails.

If this is in the wrong forum please move.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck

I would think that it would be pretty obvious that leaked gov't files would be illegal to post. Come on, man use your brain. Why would you even post them when they are readily available as it is, anyways? I think your subconscious has it out for you, as this was not an intelligent question at all. No offense.
edit on Wed Feb 29 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

A simple yes would have been fine but thanks for the input.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

It would have sufficed, but what I did say was much more satisfying. What? You don't think so? Sorry, I just figured that since corporations pretty much own the government and this is basically airing their dirty laundry, that it would be obvious that it would be illegal to even link to said information. You can waste time being offended, or you can learn and grow from it, so that maybe you will discern with your own eyes next time instead of asking stupid questions (or maybe not). Sorry if it sounds harsh, but the truth hurts sometimes, now doesn't it.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
i highly doubt youll be investigated and held accountable for posting a link or quote from wikileaks to a website or whatnot. its not an affordable option to track and prosecute everyone.

oo and infidel please save your crap attitude for another website
edit on 27-2-2012 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I couldnt care less what you thought of me or my question. Someone who frequents these sites learns to not worry about what other people think. I just thought your response was a bit unnecessary.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

It just crossed my mind as an odd ground to walk on. Didnt really know how that might be handled if someone was prosecuted for something like that.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Since when is the truth unnecessary? Because it hurt your feelings? There's an easy solution to that problem. Grow some spine.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Let me assure you that my feelings are not hurt. It isnt the truth that I thought was unnecessary it was how it was delivered ... that is all. Unless you are offended by my lack of concern for your attack. You gave your opinion and are free to move on. Have a nice day.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Thank you, I will.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
What seperates us from the press? Are we not allowed to investigate issues on our own as long as we dont break any laws in getting that information?

new topics

top topics

join