It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving a major disaster - manmade/natural

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Please move this if it's not in the correct place but I couldn't find a category for it

Today I was thinking to myself, how prepared would I be for a disaster either man made or natural. Living in NZ this is extremely important to me as our country is on a major fault line.

I haven't really got a survival kit if it came to needing one. So I was wondering what sort of things I would have.

Things like canned food and water are obvious but a few examples of things I have are

Extremely warm camouflage clothing
A boiler suit
Bandages, first aid etc
More warm clothes - Scarves etc

I haven't organized any canned food or water so I'm highly unprepared but I always have canned food in the cupboard so no biggie.

But what sort of things do you think should be in a survival kit?

Gas Mask?
Vitamin Tablets?
Geiger Counter?

As you can see I mean a very extensive survival kit to cover all areas of a disaster of a large scale.

Give me a list of what you think a survival kit should have.

Thanks for reading
CRB

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There are many many threads here on ATS with excellent ideas to get you started. Check out the survival forum.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

Well, I'm no survival expert, but you can say that I am at least trying to prepare. Here is what I have in mine and my spouses bug out bags. We plan to hit the road. Hunkering down in the suburbs doesn't seem like a good idea for us. We are heading to our land...even if it means by foot.

Of course this list doesn't include warm clothes we would actually be wearing.

My Supplies

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
A damn good knife-you won't get far without one if TSHTF. preferably a carbon steel,.Not a rambo knife, a good bushcraft one like a Mora knife.
Also, a firesteel, water purification (osmosis,tablets etc..), a good sheet of plastic for water collection (solar collection), wire for snares, a good medipack ( bandages, plasters, antibiotics, ) a good lighter and fuel for lighter, cotton wool, mobile phone, batteries (for firelighting, wire wool), a firearm- if it gets bad, people will try and take what you have, good energy canned goods in water, not brine (brine will mean you will need to rehydrate), a small handheld mirror, wire saw, 7lb and 20lb fishing line reels with hooks in a variety of sizes, a billycan with spout, metal cup , AND a bloody good survival book- lofty wisemans SAS handbook (ray mears survival guide is ten times better but you'll be hard pressed to find it these days) etc...invaluable if you aren't crafted in survival.
Warm clothing etc..
A BOB should be able to hold those items easily. the main item is a good knife, pack 3 if possible.
i would aslo highly recommend you learn how to forge a knife from steel- in a case where the sh@te really hits the fan, you will need to craft weapons- a good source of the right steel is from van shockers, there are plenty of youtube videos on forging knives from this steel.
edit on 27-2-2012 by crimsonred because: (no reason given)

top topics

join