It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Dragon Found!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Increase size and add the ability to secrete and create fire and then I will believe in this.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

um.

Pterosaurs?

We've known this for a while now.

In fact we even have fossils of it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
reply to post by nineix

Not sure those are wings at all... Lizard have too low metabolism to maintain wings flapping... Those are most probably used when swimming underwater.

edit on 27-2-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

They look too frail for that -- most likely (if real), these are for gliding.

>> The musculature looks odd --- since it's not coming off of the arm as you see on a flying squirrel, or in the way Archaeopteryx developed. So it's obviously quite an offshoot of normal lizard physiology. Maybe some genetic mutation in the homeobox genes that encodes an entirely new set of arms -- or perhaps vestigial gills.

Cool stuff! It certainly does look more real than some of the usual doctored up dead creatures we see on the internet.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Well, it IS real.
You can refer to the videos Phage posted on page 1, or This Information posted by Agarta on page 4.

I highly recommend the info Agarta posted. It's quite thorough.
These are indeed real living lizards.

They're really cute too!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
Evidently, dragons, or flying/gliding lizards are a reality.
Supposedly this was found and photographed in Indonesia.

Tiny Dragon Found!

The photos were taken in Buton, Indonesia, in the Lambusango Forest reserve. As far as I can tell, nobody has identified the exact species of this lizard.

It's a fun find, and a cute little thing.

I can see people queuing up at the pet shop should these little guys ever be bred in captivity.

Very lovely colors in the wing membranes.

edit on 27-2-2012 by nineix because: added 2nd thumbnail picture.

edit on 27-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

Trust me I would buy one of these in a heart beat, goes to show you that we don't know all we should about nature. If one that small existed, maybe a larger one did at one time.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Looks amazing! I can only imagine what else there is to discover out there. Nice find.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thats quite amazing.. I had no clue there were gliding reptiles, ive known about flying squirrels and snakes but never a lizard
.. Anyone know how this little guy extends his "wings"? It looks like its connected to his body and not his legs/arms like the flying squirrel so Im wondering how he expands them when he wants to glide.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Shagga because: (no reason given)

Edit: I should have read up some more on these little guys before asking that lol. It seems that its ribs are part of its wings so when it wants to expand them it simply expands its chest. Nature really is quite amazing, I can only imagine how different the nature books will be in 50 years when we discover so many new things about the present and past.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Shagga because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
really cool, wounder if it breaths fire? if it did it would be epic.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
reply to post by nineix

Not sure those are wings at all... Lizard have too low metabolism to maintain wings flapping... Those are most probably used when swimming underwater.

edit on 27-2-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

Way to NICELY break peoples hopes and dreams

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Does this confirm butterflies are actually angels?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

They do not fly in the traditional bird sense. They glide. Those are indeed used as wings for there gliding. It's really awesome.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoghead cheese

Trust me I would buy one of these in a heart beat, goes to show you that we don't know all we should about nature. If one that small existed, maybe a larger one did at one time.

Yup.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Now all we need is to have those near Fukashima and mutate, LOL. I doubt they would breath fire, although deadly bacteria from a bite is not impossible.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If there are Teradactiles around I am sure they have all been shot and mounted as a trophy by now.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by timmhaines

Well, it's a pteranodon. But it was posted in response to this:

If one that small existed, maybe a larger one did at one time.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Well, it IS real.
You can refer to the videos Phage posted on page 1, or This Information posted by Agarta on page 4.

I highly recommend the info Agarta posted. It's quite thorough.
These are indeed real living lizards.

They're really cute too!

Awesome -- good to hear!

Looking at that drawing, it appears the wing-flaps might have evolved from Rib bones.

>> I guess I'm like a lot of people here who would LOVE a whole squad of these flying around the house. Those are about the coolest creatures in real life I can imagine -- tiny dragons.

I'm sure some Millionaire's daughter is getting one next Christmas!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flint2011
reply to post by NeoVain

They do not fly in the traditional bird sense. They glide. Those are indeed used as wings for there gliding. It's really awesome.

I think a LOT of creatures that now fly started out as gliders.

>> Likely, bats have evolved TWICE on this planet -- from completely different species of animal!

LINK

Micro and Mega - Two Distinct Groups

The world's bats are divided into two distinct groups or sub-orders: the insectivorous bats or microbats (Microchiroptera) and the frugivorous bats or megabats (Megachiroptera). Fruit bats and insect bats possess a similar pattern of wing webbing between their elongated fingers, but despite this similarity there are numerous differences, which suggest that they have very different ancestors. It is thought that the Microchiroptera may be related to shrews, while the Megachiroptera might have affinities with primitive primates. Confirmation of these relationships awaits detailed investigation of DNA and other attributes.

So in a few million years -- this gliding lizard might become some sort of real flyer -- like a bird. But in this case, you'd have a creature with separate fore-arms than wings. I'm not sure if the fore appendages would ALWAYS devolve as useless appendages (only a few species of birds have maintained claws on their wings, for instance) -- it all depends on what sort of environment this lizard evolves in.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Birds are lizards!
Well, except for the warm blooded part.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I thought I should add the flying (well, gliding) snake to this thread. Pretty unusual method of getting around:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Yes they are found in S.E.Asia in the rain forest. Their skin can adept to the shade of the bark of trees so they have camoflage abilities. I live in Malaysia and have observed these lizards climbing up a tree and then glide to the base of another. They would repeat the same thing and glide from tree to tree. It is believed that the spike with a thin membrane at the base of their neck could kill if it strikes you at noon. Well it is local folklore but as far as I know I haven't heard of anyone getting killed by a flying gecko. When I was young I used to climb trees to pluck fruits and I can honestly say its hard to spot these lizards if they stay put and not move. Anyway I wouldn't want one for a pet even if it is going to be extinct. I find lizards revolting and would marvel at people having pet iguanas on their shoulders.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join