It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Dragon Found!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It seems a few people are going, "Cute, but unlikely" in response to this thread.

Considering that we would only need to isolate the gene for growth, it wouldn't be difficult to create an actual dragon. The most difficult part of the process would be designing it to breathe fire...but there's a solution to almost everything.

Science can be magic.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by shell310
Another species to become imprisoned as a pet for money

Just like the working class to the rich...
We just are too absorbed with earning for our living to notice this.

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
can we eat them?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

more like a flying squirrel. they use them for gliding. Or as Buzz lightyear says falling with style.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wait what was the thread about again?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I think it's about some squirrely dragonlike lizard that hand-glides. I think this lizard wants to join ATS

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The military could strap these little suckers with explosives.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

For the love of god,they dont even know exactly because it hasnt been discovered before and already people want their hands on it,ya cant just put a price on nature!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

www.youtube.com...

this video mentions that the gliding squirrels are not considred as flying animals, as they dont fly, they glide

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Agarta

Nope.
I suppose you would say that the space shuttle didn't fly either.

Semantically speaking, the space shuttle doesn't fly, nor does it glide. Rather the shuttle re-enters the atmosphere and lands through a "controlled fall." As you stated, a glider can potentially stay in the air for hours, potentially days, climbing and falling for as long as one can find the air currents and updrafts to remain in flight... or has the endurance to keep it up.
While jets, helicopters, and airplanes use engines to battle the effects of gravity, gliders fly by balancing the forces of gravity, lift, drag, and thrust, as I'm sure you know as a hang glider yourself.

In a sense, gliders are more about "pure flight" than engine powered flying vehicles.

The shuttle, however, can't achieve either of powered flight nor can it glide. It basically falls, steadily the moment it enters the atmosphere until the moment it touches down. The shuttle is closer to the way the lizard in the op, and "flying" squirrels move about. They can't stay in the air like a glider, nor can they battle gravity by their own propulsion, they leap and manage a "controlled fall."

To the OP: Beautiful specimen. Hopefully we can take a few pictures, watch them for a bit, and then leave them alone to live in peace. I can imagine there may, at some time, have been similar animals but larger that could've given rise to the ancient tales of dragons.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Is it really worth derailing this thread about it?

Back on topic - I don't know what the big fuss is all about, seen similar lizards before. Granted, the OP's picture is awfully cute though.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Thank you very much for the informative and detailed information.
It's very appreciated.
Such wonderful little animals, and always a surprise to see the variety of adaptations available in nature.

As for having one for a pet, I found this place: Backwater Reptiles

Link goes directly to the Flying Dragon Lizard. They're under $30. Equipment and habitat, plus a decent supply/breeding population of crickets will probably cost you ~10x that if you want to have a happy lizard.

edit on 28-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Aww it is cute. If that can exist on a small scale, it could have existed once on a larger scale, I suppose.

Let them live in peace in their jungle homes. As much as they'd make a cool pet, I really want the jungle left alone so things like this can keep living without humans mucking it up.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Does it breathe fire?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

No it doesn't. If it did it would be a good natural investment for the Food pantry. organic lighter

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
very nice find indeed op

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Totally awesome world we live in!

In the future, the treatment for depression will be extensive world travel.

I am certain that a first hand look at all the wonders of this amazing world could cure whatever sadness has befallen us!

Thank you for this OP, another reason to be thankful for this life we live!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

This isn't a dragon but its still cool. I used to believe in dragons when I was a kid, it was fun going into the woods looking for them. I was in my own little world, oh the joys of childhood!
edit on 28-2-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I know this thread is about the flying dragon lizard,but I guess we all forget that dragons have been and are still around..

Komodo dragons have thrived in the harsh climate of Indonesia's Lesser Sunda Islands for millions of years, although amazingly, their existence was unknown to humans until about 100 years ago. Reaching 10 feet (3 meters) in length and more than 300 pounds (136 kilograms), Komodo dragons are the heaviest lizards on Earth. They have long, flat heads with rounded snouts, scaly skin, bowed legs, and huge, muscular tails.

animals.nationalgeographic.com...

Dragons don't have to have wings or breathe fire,but that would be cool if we could find one that does breathe fire and fly. Imagine the possibilities....

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I usually land after about an hour.
If the waves were as uncrowded as the sky I would spent more time surfing than I do flying.
The current duration record (endurance really, sort of like flag pole sitting) is about 24.5 hours.
Not New Zealand...but it is on an island.

I wonder what a lizard could do in ridge lift.

Get a seperate thread about hang gliders already?

This one is about lizards..

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join