It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Amping up the War Rhetoric

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is not to say that I believe we will go to war with North Korea or that their recent posturing means they will escalate things to a higher level but this was an interesting story that may be overlooked with all of the Iran news lately. Of course the title to the actual story seems like an attempt to make this more than it is so I did not want to use that title in this thread, "North Korea: Ready to go to war with U.S., South Korea".

www.cnn.com...

Now before anyone gets too worried these joint drills with South Korea and the U.S. go on ll of the time and every single time North Korea has something to say about it, as you can see with the below quote from the CNN story.

"Hundreds of thousands of troops are poised for a war carrying nuclear war equipment," North Korea's KCNA news agency reported, saying Pyongyang considers the drills to be practice for a preemptive strike on the North.

One thing i found interesting though was the very last paragraph pasted below.

"While visitng the troops, Kim Jong Un "ordered them to make a powerful retaliatory strike at the enemy, should the enemy intrude even 0.001 mm into the waters of the country where its sovereignty is exercised," KCNA reported."

Having been in the U.S. Navy and being in waters near North Korea I know they are very strict about patrolling their waters. My ship was once shot at, a warning shot only, while they tried to claim we crossed into North Korean waters and they ordered us to stop and be borded. Our Captain promptly told them that we were operating in international waters and would continue on our way basically. However if the military had the above orders in place at that time things may have gone differently. Depending on how strictly they follow these orders this has the possability of escalating.
edit on 27-2-2012 by seeker1977 because: miss spelling

edit on 27-2-2012 by seeker1977 because: typo

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Now... even I am starting to roll eyes at NK.

Again with the empty threats? If I'm waiting on NK to do something against the south, I better sit down, since my legs wouldnt be up to the task.

Do something or stop talking... everything else is just an embarrassment and I bet the entire world now just laughs every time NK pulls this card out of their as.es. And it seems NK only has Jokers...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
What in the world is a "War Rederick?" Is that like a doomsday device or something?
Gulp!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
he means rhetoric. (or she)

north korea stands alone. without the threats, they would be swamped by our axis of non evil...

lol

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
lol...wow that is what I get for not using spell checker, thank you for the correct spelling

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Pro-war rhetoric is a type of propaganda designed to convince its audience that war is necessary.

rhetoric.

I was surprised to see an "h" in there...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
On a side note does anyone know much about the new leader of North Korea, supposedly I heard he was crazier than the last leader although not from an entirely quotable source.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Was that a rhetorical question?
Ole Young Kim aint gonna get too frisky with the South....
Though in a militarily poor defensive position geographically.the souht has one dedicated bunch of troops......
The southern Koreans are loosing patience with the northern bluster....
The bitcching never ceases.....even Sun Tzu might get POed at these mouthy guys.....
The island shelling game is old as the DMZ though, and it isnt really that aggressive....
The Cheonan was however causus belli in law.....

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1977

Actually Un has a Western College Education, is pretty knowledgeable about world affairs compared to his father.

I wouldn't call him crazier... but he has his whole list of traits that make him both better and worse for NK.

What you will probably see before Un launches any kind of attack on SK...

Is the military in NK attacking Un and overthrowing him for the "glory of NK". I would fully expect Un to get "replaced" before anything actually comes out of NK from any of their threats.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1977
On a side note does anyone know much about the new leader of North Korea, supposedly I heard he was crazier than the last leader although not from an entirely quotable source.

I think he's too young for leading a country, and being the son of the last leader....
The nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

It was said he was jailing people for not crying hard enough about the death of his father.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
i dont think it will escalate beyond chest puffing. unless they have a death wish.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LonelyGuy

You are probably completely right, chances of something happening are slim to none. Like I said in my post this talk has been going on for a long time.

Just to play devils advocate though now might be a good time for them to really get belligerent especially if things do escalate in Iran. They may not have a better time to attack South Korea than when the U.S. economy is hurting bad and when we might get thoroughly engaged in another country.

I agree he is too young to run a country, hopefully that doesn't mean he feels he needs to prove himself so much that he might actually entertain an idea so stupid as attacking South Korea.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Not too mention the food crisis they are in. Something like that can make a country desperate and if you are desperate enough than doing something so stupid can happen very easily.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
lmao....wow just 3 days ago I posted this thread with North Korea statng they were ready for war with the U.S. ans South Korea.

Now they are basically saying they will play nice if we give them food, look at the below report

www.cnn.com...

I knew their food crisis might affect things but didn't know they would basically do a complete 180 on their stance.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Idiots .....Quick, someone
do a bug squash

new topics

top topics

join