It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The ultimate taught of Dec 21 , 2012

page: 10
5
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by artistpoet
 



That is unfair to say I am trolling - you know me better than that I hope - No I am wanting to discuss these ideas
I thought we were doing that

I have already answered the question. You continue to pretend that things are either alive or dead. I have stated in 3 posts that there is no dichotomy. There are other possibilities.


Look friend - First you accuse me of trolling then pretending.
Try to understand I have a different point of view - rather than link to wiki etc it would mean more if you desribed your own thoughts in your own words - Please stop insulting me as I know you better than that




posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I thought the OP's opening post was good but got a little distracted by his taughts.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by storm2012
 



lol your saying sun is not pure energy, sun creates photons- energy particles, that's why your functioning right now. Man believe what you want, but you will have the same knowledge and will be left behind. you have to open your taught up.

The Sun has mass. Do you understand what that means?


tell me why do you accumulate the mass in your own body? how did you get the mass that you have right now? From Earth , your a living thing bec of Earth.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012
 


Your working with a computer that is based on scientific principles. The device was built by engineers that applied these principles in a deterministic fashion. Quite clearly you have no idea what you are saying. That's ok. Once you get through high school you'll have the tantalizing tidbits that you can use to learn about the world.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist
 


where did all the material came from, EARTH, lol I gradated college man, I am an engineer, working as a professional electrical engineer.
edit on 1-3-2012 by storm2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2012 by storm2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012
 



tell me why do you accumulate the mass in your own body? how did you get the mass that you have right now? From Earth , your a living thing bec of Earth.

Your simply showing that you do not understand the words you write. Your also showing a strong propensity for non sequiturs.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet
 


If you think the Earth is alive then please make some effort to show that it is other than claiming we live on it or depend on it. Those are not properties of life.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012
 


I don't believe you are an electrical engineer.
Here is where we stand on the Earth is alive claim:
1. Repeated non sequiturs
2. Claiming that the Sun is pure energy
3. Enlisting gods
4. Anthropomorphizing
5. Unsubstantiated dismissals of information
6. Dismissal of science

Sorry, but your lack of understanding of many principles here tells me that you are not even a college graduate.

edit on 1-3-2012 by stereologist because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by artistpoet
 


If you think the Earth is alive then please make some effort to show that it is other than claiming we live on it or depend on it. Those are not properties of life.


You again misunderstand me as I am sure I misunderstand you.
If you read back I said at last you have answered my question ie the Earth is neither alive or dead.
I believe you fail to see my perpective that all is interconnected each part of something bigger. OK so if we say Earth is not alive nor dead then I would love to hear you in your own words explain what it is that makes Humans a living thing - lets keep it to simple points



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Disregarding my previous post on this thread, I have been reading the responses with pointed thoughtfulness.

First, OP give up on your taught, it is thought. Please learn the definition and spelling differences between them:


taught past participle, past tense of teach (Verb)
1.Show or explain to (someone) how to do something: "she taught him to read".
2.Give information about or instruction in (a subject or skill): "he came one day each week to teach painting"; "she teaches me French".



thought /THôt/ (Noun)
1.An idea or opinion produced by thinking or occurring suddenly in the mind: "Mrs. Oliver's first thought was to get help".
2.An idea or mental picture, imagined and contemplated: "the mere thought of Peter made her see red".


Second, regarding the definitions of what is alive and what defines life. There are two frames of opposing thought's here. There is the theological belief of what is alive (the sun, the earth, etc.) and the scientific belief of what is alive (animals, plant, etc.)

With regards to both, philosophically, it could be argued that the sun and the earth are alive. Not so much in exhibitable consciousness (which is a requirement that needs to be present in order for something to be claimed as a living organism) but more so in that they possess chemical processes that exhibit life-like qualities. But for all intents and purposes, they are in fact inanimate objects. Much in the same way that someone will relate fire as a living breathing entity because of its ability to move and breathe, a fire also cannot consciously decide for itself where it will move to, it must follow the least restrictive path of its fuel. If the earth were a living, breathing organism, the earth would have tossed humanity off of its surface many years ago. Much in the same way that you swat at a mosquito that has bitten you.


Life (cf. biota) is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have signaling and self-sustaining processes (i.e., living organisms) from those that do not,[1][2] either because such functions have ceased (death), or else because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate.[3][4] Biology is the science concerned with the study of life.

Living organisms undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce and, through natural selection, adapt to their environment in successive generations. More complex living organisms can communicate through various means.[1][5] A diverse array of living organisms (life forms) can be found in the biosphere on Earth, and the properties common to these organisms—plants, animals, fungi, protists, archaea, and bacteria—are a carbon- and water-based cellular form with complex organization and heritable genetic information.

In philosophy and religion, the conception of life and its nature varies. Both offer interpretations as to how life relates to existence and consciousness, and both touch on many related issues, including life stance, purpose, conception of a god or gods, a soul or an afterlife.
Source

Yes, I linked Wikipedia, that is because whether you like it or not, it is a valid reference. Notwithstanding the fact that it can be edited by anyone, the submissions to wikipedia have to be linked to reputable and verifiable sources.

Back to the topic at hand, tell me where the earth and the sun have done the following:

Undergone metabolism
Maintained homeostasis
Grow
Respond to stimuli
Reproduce
Through natural selection, adapt to their environments in successive generations

and finally

Communicate

-saige-
edit on 1-3-2012 by saige45 because: corrected spelling



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet
 



I believe you fail to see my perpective that all is interconnected each part of something bigger. OK so if we say Earth is not alive nor dead then I would love to hear you in your own words explain what it is that makes Humans a living thing - lets keep it to simple points

Connectedness does not mean that the connected objects are the same or share the same properties.

Humans are alive:
1. reproduce
2. metabolize
3. consume and excrete
4. grow
5. react to stimuli
6. inherit genetic info
7. keep a steady condition

How's that for a starter list.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by artistpoet
 



I believe you fail to see my perpective that all is interconnected each part of something bigger. OK so if we say Earth is not alive nor dead then I would love to hear you in your own words explain what it is that makes Humans a living thing - lets keep it to simple points

Connectedness does not mean that the connected objects are the same or share the same properties.

Humans are alive:
1. reproduce
2. metabolize
3. consume and excrete
4. grow
5. react to stimuli
6. inherit genetic info
7. keep a steady condition

How's that for a starter list.


Yes thanks for your list

1, Yes agreed I have not witnessed the Earth reproducing a baby Earth true.
2. Earth does metabolise - it constantly recycles and refines matter this is how things like compost peat coal oil gases are formed.
3. It consumes and excretes - see above for consume ie matter and for excrete that is what volcanos do.
4. Agreed it is not seen to grow or shrink in our short window of time
5. It constantly reacts to stimuli like the Sun Moon and mans activitys
6. If it does not reproduce then yes genetic info is only contained in the substances that it hosts such as plants humans etc
7. It keeps a steady condition far more than we in its life cycyle in the solar system though all changes for sure



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I thought the OP's opening post was good but got a little distracted by his taughts.

It's all tautology to me.. .



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by storm2012
 


I don't believe you are an electrical engineer.
Here is where we stand on the Earth is alive claim:
1. Repeated non sequiturs
2. Claiming that the Sun is pure energy
3. Enlisting gods
4. Anthropomorphizing
5. Unsubstantiated dismissals of information
6. Dismissal of science

Sorry, but your lack of understanding of many principles here tells me that you are not even a college graduate.

edit on 1-3-2012 by stereologist because: (no reason given)



haha okay genius, as you say, from what i was talking about, it had nothing to do with electrical engineering, i was giving my opinion, and i wrote on the the thread, its your choice to believe it, if u dont believe it, than stop posting comments, move on to some other thread.
edit on 1-3-2012 by storm2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet
 



1, Yes agreed I have not witnessed the Earth reproducing a baby Earth true.
2. Earth does metabolise - it constantly recycles and refines matter this is how things like compost peat coal oil gases are formed.
3. It consumes and excretes - see above for consume ie matter and for excrete that is what volcanos do.
4. Agreed it is not seen to grow or shrink in our short window of time
5. It constantly reacts to stimuli like the Sun Moon and mans activitys
6. If it does not reproduce then yes genetic info is only contained in the substances that it hosts such as plants humans etc
7. It keeps a steady condition far more than we in its life cycyle in the solar system though all changes for sure

2. The earth does not metabolize. Peat, coal, and oil are not being recycled. They accumulate where they are not utilized by living organisms. They are dead matter that has accumulated and not been recycled.
3. The earth is not consuming or excreting
4. The Earth is accumulating a small amount of matter from space. The moon landings show how small it is.
5. There is no reaction to the Moon or Sun or Man.
7. The Earth has not been steady. As I pointed out the atmosphere changed to an oxygen rich one due to the excretion of early life.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I noticed thought was mis spelled ie taught but understaood what the op typed
Spelling or lack of it is not a measure of a person only to Spelling Nazis



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Yes thanks for your list

1, Yes agreed I have not witnessed the Earth reproducing a baby Earth true.
2. Earth does metabolise - it constantly recycles and refines matter this is how things like compost peat coal oil gases are formed.
3. It consumes and excretes - see above for consume ie matter and for excrete that is what volcanos do.
4. Agreed it is not seen to grow or shrink in our short window of time
5. It constantly reacts to stimuli like the Sun Moon and mans activitys
6. If it does not reproduce then yes genetic info is only contained in the substances that it hosts such as plants humans etc
7. It keeps a steady condition far more than we in its life cycyle in the solar system though all changes for sure

Only concerned with a couple of entries here:

2. The earth does not metabolise


me·tab·o·lize (m-tb-lz) (verb)
1. To subject to metabolism.
2. To produce by metabolism.
3. To undergo change by metabolism.

metabolize
[mətab′əlīz]
Etymology: Gk, metabole, change
to undergo metabolism, the breaking down of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats into smaller units; reorganizing of those units as tissue building blocks or as energy sources; and eliminating waste products of the processes.
Source

What is thought of as the earth metabolising is actually a chemical process that is initiated by bacteria in order to break down or decompose more complex bodies.


Decomposition
1. The act or process of resolving the constituent parts of a compound body or substance into its elementary parts; separation into constituent part; analysis; the decay or dissolution consequent on the removal or alteration of some of the ingredients of a compound; disintegration; as, the decomposition of wood, rocks, etc.

2. The state of being reduced into original elements.

3. Repeated composition; a combination of compounds. Decomposition of forces. Same as resolution of forces, under resolution. Decomposition of light, the division of light into the prismatic colours.

Origin: Pref. De- (in sense 3 intensive) _ composition: cf. F. Decomposition. Cf. Decomposition. In a decomposed state.(chemistry) separation of a substance into two or more substances that may differ from each other and from the original substance.(biology) decaying caused by bacterial or fungal action.The organic phenomenon of rotting.The breaking down of a material into a less complicated chemical structure.
Source

3. Consumption and excretion - Consumption is a reach (crust is recycled by the process of plate tectonics whereas the plates that make up the earth's crust are constantly reintroduced to the earth's upper, and possibly lower mantles as the plates disappear in the mantle along the convergent boundaries by subduction is more or less in equilibrium with the new (oceanic) crust that is formed along the divergent margins by seafloor spreading.)
Excretion is also a reach because you are making the assumption that the earth is excreting as a part of expelling waste.

-saige-



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by saige45
Disregarding my previous post on this thread, I have been reading the responses with pointed thoughtfulness.

First, OP give up on your taught, it is thought. Please learn the definition and spelling differences between them:


taught past participle, past tense of teach (Verb)
1.Show or explain to (someone) how to do something: "she taught him to read".
2.Give information about or instruction in (a subject or skill): "he came one day each week to teach painting"; "she teaches me French".



thought /THôt/ (Noun)
1.An idea or opinion produced by thinking or occurring suddenly in the mind: "Mrs. Oliver's first thought was to get help".
2.An idea or mental picture, imagined and contemplated: "the mere thought of Peter made her see red".


Second, regarding the definitions of what is alive and what defines life. There are two frames of opposing thought's here. There is the theological belief of what is alive (the sun, the earth, etc.) and the scientific belief of what is alive (animals, plant, etc.)

With regards to both, philosophically, it could be argued that the sun and the earth are alive. Not so much in exhibitable consciousness (which is a requirement that needs to be present in order for something to be claimed as a living organism) but more so in that they possess chemical processes that exhibit life-like qualities. But for all intents and purposes, they are in fact inanimate objects. Much in the same way that someone will relate fire as a living breathing entity because of its ability to move and breathe, a fire also cannot consciously decide for itself where it will move to, it must follow the least restrictive path of its fuel. If the earth were a living, breathing organism, the earth would have tossed humanity off of its surface many years ago. Much in the same way that you swat at a mosquito that has bitten you.


Life (cf. biota) is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have signaling and self-sustaining processes (i.e., living organisms) from those that do not,[1][2] either because such functions have ceased (death), or else because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate.[3][4] Biology is the science concerned with the study of life.

Living organisms undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce and, through natural selection, adapt to their environment in successive generations. More complex living organisms can communicate through various means.[1][5] A diverse array of living organisms (life forms) can be found in the biosphere on Earth, and the properties common to these organisms—plants, animals, fungi, protists, archaea, and bacteria—are a carbon- and water-based cellular form with complex organization and heritable genetic information.

In philosophy and religion, the conception of life and its nature varies. Both offer interpretations as to how life relates to existence and consciousness, and both touch on many related issues, including life stance, purpose, conception of a god or gods, a soul or an afterlife.
Source

Yes, I linked Wikipedia, that is because whether you like it or not, it is a valid reference. Notwithstanding the fact that it can be edited by anyone, the submissions to wikipedia have to be linked to reputable and verifiable sources.

Back to the topic at hand, tell me where the earth and the sun have done the following:

Undergone metabolism
Maintained homeostasis
Grow
Respond to stimuli
Reproduce
Through natural selection, adapt to their environments in successive generations

and finally

Communicate

-saige-
edit on 1-3-2012 by saige45 because: corrected spelling


i agree its a spelling error, this is not a English class where i need to check all my spellings. A spelling mistake does not change anything tho, its just a word. Earth is growing all by it self, since we came here, we are destroying it. And all the stuff you listed , how do you know in fact your correct, that that's what life really is? where is your source, give me your own source from you own knowledge, not someones knowledge.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet
 
If the OP had said tought or thot or thougt or even thawght then my post could be defined as being a spelling nazi. However, the OP said taught which is a completely different word. It has it's own meaning. The only reason that anyone was able to discern what the OP was meaning by his/her use was because of the context of the sentences. It is a fact that the OP has continuously overlooked in the entirety of this thread because many others have also pointed out the misuse of the word and the OP continues to use taught. I was merely giving the OP a stricter hint so that they may correct themselves or perhaps give us some insight onto what their meaning of taught is.

-saige-
edit on 1-3-2012 by saige45 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by saige45
 


like i said , it does not matter, if i made a spelling mistake, this is not about you checking my spelling. stick to the topic, not a spelling mistake.




top topics



 
5
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

log in

join