It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruise ship Costa Allegra adrift off Seychelles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Cruise ship Costa Allegra adrift off Seychelles

www.bbc.co.uk

An Italian cruise ship with more than 1,000 people on board is without power in the Indian Ocean following a fire.

The Costa Allegra is adrift in the dark more than 200 miles southwest of the Seychelles, near Alphonse Island.

The ship is from the same fleet as the Costa Concordia, which capsized off the Italian coast in January, killing 32.

Costa Cruises said in a statement that the fire broke out in the electric generators' room...

...There are no electric lights on board the ship...

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is at best an extremely unhappy coincidence. Owned by the same company as the ill-fated Costa Concordia, this vessel is now without power as a result of a fire in the electric generator room, with over a thousand passengers aboard.

Though the authorities are saying there is no immediate danger there is no doubt those on board must be feeling extremely vulnerable. Tugs and other vessels are responding to the distress signal at this very moment, so hopefully a disaster will be averted.

Watch this space...

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
ok everyone knows that the attack on the -ships is defacto an attack on the Italian Gov/
Corp/Rome,,etcc,
and now we have this,,

Russian security forces say they have averted an assassination attempt
on Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
Putin is standing for the presidency on 4 March.
European Voice - 28 minutes ago

didnt russia say the last time
that the attack on the first cruse ship was made by an Iranian Sub,?
and that the Capt of the ship
abandoned his post,,?

and now another blow too the cash cow,,insurance companies must be going nuts,,
what if u took the companies first offer and were picked up by the sister ship,,
and its happening again,,, wow,, bad Karma,, lol

Me.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Pretty safe to say that Costa won't be around much longer.

They'll more than likely just do some legal wrangling that changes the name and keep right on going.

My first cruise was on a Costa ship, the SS Amerikanis in 1982 when I was 14, it was a dumpy ship with a very questionable crew. A 35 year old bartender that was serving me tried to get me to go back to his cabin, I turned him in to the purser and never saw him after that.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Clearly suspicions will be raised a) because the ship belongs to the same company and b) because these two incidents have happened in such short succession...

It's not really something to laugh about, though is it? I mean imagine the butterflies many must have felt as they boarded — never mind as they heard the alarm!! Children and the elderly and infirm to be reassured, crew trying to remain calm and professional. No lights too.

BTW It's not exactly a 'sister ship', so to speak, judging from the image:

[ATSimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/mp4f4bc4f7.jpg[/ATSimg]

Update:

(The following article does refer to the Allegra as a 'sister ship', though it's clearly a loose use of the term. It also puts a somewhat alarming slant on the situation—)

A sister ship of the doomed Costa Concordia is today drifting off the pirate-infested African coast after an onboard engine room fire knocked out power.
The Costa Allegra, with 1,049 passengers and crew onboard, was seven days into a month long cruise of the Indian Ocean when the flames erupted in the engine room at the back of the ship.
Onboard sprinklers and the ship's firefighting team managed to put out the flames and stop the blaze spreading, but it knocked out power to the motors which drive the propellers...

Source

edit on 27/2/12 by pause4thought because: update

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is going to have to cause a serious review of the conclusions presented by skeptics in the Costa Cruise thread last month. LOL

GS

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
They are drifting into Pirate waters!
The pirates will gladly lighten the load of Costa Allegra.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
What a "glowing" advert for the company.

I wonder if the captain is still on board?

Good job they don't fly people aswell .

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by forklift

I wonder if the captain is still on board?

You said it, bro.

Good video report from Sky:

Sky Breaking News

(...Apparently help won't be there for several hours.)

edit on 27/2/12 by pause4thought because: typo

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Problems with small cruise lines happen all the time we just never hear about them. Now, in the wake of the sinking last month, you'll hear every little story like birthday candles couldn't be blown out. Forget about it.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Longshots

I follow your logic. However this is more than a minor incident. Or would you have us believe this is what you should expect whenever you go on a cruise?—

Commander Cosimo Nicastro of the Italian coast guard told the BBC that it took the crew a few hours to extinguish the fire.

Source

Drifting with no engines and with no electricity. Maybe it's just a stunt. "Please gather in the ballroom where the Captain will give an update on the situation. Life jackets should be collected before entering." Followed by the Captain bursting out of a 20-ft cake as the lights simultaneously go on, shouting "Let the party begin..."

I don't think so.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
It's not really something to laugh about, though is it?

Originally posted by pause4thought
. Maybe it's just a stunt. "Please gather in the ballroom where the Captain will give an update on the situation. Life jackets should be collected before entering." Followed by the Captain bursting out of a 20-ft cake as the lights simultaneously go on, shouting "Let the party begin..."

I think I will postpone that Cruise I was thinking about

I would also recommend anyone booking passage to get a room near the top pay the extra because when the lights go out below its like being in a cave... pitch black. And if that boat is starting to list or take on water, steerage is NOT a place you want to be

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Joking is out. Ironic hyperbolae was required, unfortunately.

BTW, if they ever manage to get the lights going there's a live webcam feed here.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Here are some cruise ship ads

I think this captain forgot about turning into the wind in extreme weather

Maybe they need to bolt the furniture to the deck and put in seatbelts..

Captain and crew pack luggage and abandon ship....

Enjoy your next cruise...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Mind you, people do pay a lot of money for roller coasters.

Latest:

The Italian authorities have directed three merchant ships and two fishing vessels towards the stricken liner.

The authorities in the Seychelles say they have sent two tug boats and a coastguard ship to the scene.

The closest vessel to the ship - a French fishing boat - is likely to reach the Allegra at around 2300 GMT, ahead of the tug boats.

A spokesman for Costa Cruises said the situation on board was calm* and the ship was stable...

(Source: updated OP article)

*Now I'm not one for being cynical, but...

top topics

join