learn more

Foul odor plagues west Phoenix area

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCurmudgeon

The Smell they are talking about doesn't sound like anhydrous ammonia, it sounds like that's what your refurring to. It seems to more of a sulphur smell, my guess would be ethyl mercaptan which itself is also heavier than air like propane. As far as any other fertilizer itself I don't know any that have the garlicky onion smell unless there is some sort of chemical reaction in the sewer system, which Is highly probable.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Are we talking INDUSTRIAL FERTILIZER?... or stockyard manure RUN OFF???

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pegasus2000
reply to post by OldCurmudgeon

The Smell they are talking about doesn't sound like anhydrous ammonia, it sounds like that's what your refurring to. It seems to more of a sulphur smell, my guess would be ethyl mercaptan which itself is also heavier than air like propane. As far as any other fertilizer itself I don't know any that have the garlicky onion smell unless there is some sort of chemical reaction in the sewer system, which Is highly probable.

Yea... its difficult to tell as the newspaper article quotes Hill as saying, garlic and onion, and then later there is mention of more of a sulfur smell.. Anhydrous ammonia in itself didn't smell like onions and garlic, but back home the farmers were mixing cocktails of chemicals and it would take you breath away.... make you sick and the smell would carry for miles down bottoms and along creeks and water. The state board of health lab did air quality and others tests and determined it was something being applied while the farmers were performing their combination chisel plow, planting, fertilizing, etc. operation...
Now sulfur is a different issue altogether... wait a moment... I recall a horrible smell along the new 101 between the 60 and the 202 back a few years ago... although it was initially denied by authorities, it was later discovered a sewage plant in I believe in Chandler had gone off line and sewage was backing up in the system and causing a huge rotten egg, i.e. sulfurish smell.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I did leave some of my leftovers laying around!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
oh my god....i nearly started a thread a couple of days ago about this exact subject.

about 3 months ago i first smelt this strange smell. i was at work, walked outside and smelt something i had never smelt before....like a rotten, rotten egg gas smell.

I've heard that a nuclear detonation smells like this. Never experienced it myself, but I'm sure the smell of atom-splitting is distinctive compared to conventional explosives like TNT or gunpowder (which smells awesome in the morning, in my opinion).

Phosphorus or sulphur is probably a more logical answer though. Sulphur stinks, and I've been through cities where sulfur (and other chemicals) used in nearby mills stink up the whole place.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is very interesting to me as of late. I live in nevada and as I have stated in other post I haven't been able to sleep for a VERY long time.

I got mice in my house and they kick off such a fierce onion odor, it literally makes your nose and tounge feel numb. It is like an odor I never experienced in my life. Part rotten onion, hot garlic, ammonia, and burnt maple syrup.

Perhaps that area of Phoenix has a rodent problem.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
They have roof rats, but nothing that would cause that extreme of smell in such a sort time. First thing I thought was the dog food factory. That place stinks rotton when carried in the wind , but they are in the wrong area.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by STEADFast

its probably the Palo verde nuclear reactor mutant bugs releasing hydrogen sulfide gas by going to the bathroom.they are flying over tonopah on their way to the truck stop for some huevos and cervasas.

or

the ufos are back from the phoenix lights and are having travelers diarrhea over goodyear???

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

your solution is to get 2 siamese cats.they are very intelligent as they are cats who immigrated from mars-they will take care of your mice my cat did. and they talk also to you-i kid you not..

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4KAAN
Anyone know what can cause this? Did mother earth rip a new one? Factory by product? Does anything like this happen before, say, an earthquake, perhaps?

It's gotta BE a planetary gas attack! I told the Lady to lay off Diane's
deviled eggs, but she popped 18 halves and washed 'em down with that
week old skunky Miller from the unplugged fridge. Those garage partys
probably kill more people in Illinois than bee stings! Subterranean
rumblings indeed... run for it. Kurt's rat chili and Flintkote chips later:
HOOooo. Fracking by product ROFL i can't take it. Thank you so much

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is the time the farmers spray....shiite!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Bacteria would eat the fertilizer and produce butric acid. This is most likely the smell. In sunlight, algae would eat the fertilizer.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Update......

News from The Arizona Republic
West Phoenix odor seems to have dissipated
by Jose Zavala, D.S. Woodfill and Bert Sass on Feb. 27, 2012, under Arizona Republic News

The foul odor that blanketed part of west Phoenix on Sunday night was found to be not hazardous and is believed to have left the area, Phoenix fire officials said.

The odor might have been caused by a local propane storage facility purging a line, Phoenix Fire Department spokesman Scott Walker said Monday.

tucsoncitizen.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

propane doent smell bad butyric acid smells like rotten cheese

it must be rotten cheese in the area

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by STEADFast

I live about 40 miles N. of Houston and the town I live in you
can smell it for about 25 miles around. It has been smelling
bout 2 weeks now. I have a friend that lives east
of me about 15
miles and he said the same thing.
To me it smells like something
between rotten eggs and a dead animal. I have lived in the town for over 30
yrs and have never smelled it before. I don't live around water so it isn't
dead fish as some are saying. It isn't dead animals because the area
it surrounds is too far apart. I
don't think it smells like sulfar but also don't have a clue. From what everyone is posting
it covers a pretty large area to be nothing else but something common to all areas like
geological . Times are sure gettin weird and crazy.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
It's the smell of all the snow birds arriving for the winter.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I call Phoenix Raccoon City for obvious reasons

Either they are burning the undead under the city again or some Walter White Wanna be had a spill

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Is it possible that the odor from the Salton Sea area is traveling to Arizona?
Many suspect the odor is volcanic in nature.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

Don't suppose you live near Botany Bay/Kurnell/Cronulla?
I've smelt swamp gas in these areas a few times over the years.... Which isn't surprising as this is an area where they tap for the natural gas reserves that the Sydney basin sits upon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join