Foul odor plagues west Phoenix area

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Foul odor plagues west Phoenix area

www.azcentral.com

"It just blanketed the neighborhood," she said.

Hill, who said she never smelled such an odor in her 28 years living in her home, closed all her windows, turned off her air conditioning and started burning scented candles, but it didn't help mask the smell.

Read more: www.azcentral.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/27/2012 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My friend lives in this area and said he couldnt sleep it smelled so bad, they could do nothing to mask the smell. The next morning the car still smelled and when he was driving he noticed water droplets forming on his window (as if you are driving in fog) yet there was not a cloud in the sky and it was a dry Arizona morning.

www.azcentral.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by STEADFast

Strange. Was wondering if could be anything released from the ground, but nothing seismic at least seems to be happening. No mention of mysterious suspects in the article, so doesn't look like the Mad Gasser of Mattoon has relocated after so many decades.

According to ABC15 news, they've determined it's fertilizer that may have made it into the sewers:

Southwest Gas determined fertilizer was causing the smell and there is a possibility the fertilizer could be in the sewer system.

Residents do not need to be alarmed, according to fire crews.

Weird. And appears they already updated the article with conflicting opinion about propane, but are making no promises in any case. Here's link to an as-yet unedited copy of the article I saw.
edit on 2/27/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Anyone know what can cause this? Did mother earth rip a new one? Factory by product? Does anything like this happen before, say, an earthquake, perhaps?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 4KAAN

Odor is added to propane so people can smell it when there is a leak, and not die. I read several pages of residents in the area, from the above link, stating the order is very similar to ethyl mercaptan. There is a propane company in the vicinity...so it may be this chemical.

Know the Odor: In order to detect if presence and prevent an explosion from a buildup of propane gas, odorant (almost always ethyl mercaptan) is added to liquid LP-Gas. Ethyl mercaptan has a distinctive order and has a high odor impact. To familiarize yourself with this type of odor you can request “Scratch and Sniff” leaflets from the National Propane Gas Association, 1600 Eisenhower Lane, Suite 100, Lisle, IL 60532, (708) 515-0600; your local propane supplier or from Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP, 10001 Six Pines Drive., The Woodlands, TX 77380 (ATTN: Specialty Chemicals).

Propane is occasionally odorized with something other than ethyl mercaptan and it may smell different. Users should acquaint themselves with the odor of the odorized propane that they are using and should frequently make sniff tests to confirm the presence of odor in their LP-Gas. If there is ever any suspicion as to the adequate presence of the expected odor, the user should immediately evacuate the area, shut off the propane tank supply valve, if possible, and call their LP-Gas dealer, or supplier, from a place of safety. If there is a suspected leak, the user should follow this same procedure and also call the fire department from a place of safety. www.suhresgas.com...

Des

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Could be the wind, hitting the sewers or something like that, it happens.

Couldn't resist google

www.ehow.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Star for you - with the updated article now referring to a purged gas line after others originally reporting no LEAK was found, I'd bet you're right:

Fire officials said Sunday night the smell was coming from fertilizer, but Scott Walker with the Phoenix Fire Department said Monday morning they believe the odor was caused by a purged propane line at a propane storage facility.

I wonder why the gas company wouldn't have offered this up initially...slow communications in the company, or something gone wrong resulting in a bit of cover-up?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I'm sure the propane company didn't think the smell described as "sulfur and rotten eggs rising from the pits of hell", even crossed their minds. The area of the city this happened in is pretty much very low income demographic. Why bother to warn them...eh?

Des

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
has anyone considered a decomposing body? or more then 1?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

glad they don't need to be alarmed.

Not like fertilizer is bad for humans to breath in or anything.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have an interesting theory. That goes along with the DUMB's theory. If there are as many of these DUMB's as people suspect, due to the fact some known Military installations exist carved into/under mountains perhaps these supposed " Leaked " Stories of warring factions under the surface could be true. If there was a large nuclear detonation under the surface in one of these bases potentially killing many thousands of personal, those bodies would rot, and that smell would find it's way to the surface, as well as the moisture and vapors released. This could explain the moisture droplets forming on the windows of vehicles. It would make sense that in the cooler hours of the evening/morning these smells, and vapors would settle to the lower areas and residential neighborhoods. The thing is, not too many things smell like Human decomp, or any kind of decomp for that matter. So my question to you is, what did this smell, smell like? Rotting meat/flesh ? Rancid fatty smell the clings to the nostrils ? If so, maybe my theory has a little more to it than I thought, unless there was a large cult that committed mass suicide nearby. Otherwise, try to locate the source, is it coming in on the wind? or does it smell like it's coming from below ?

That or hell is literally getting ready to boil over, you're country certainly has been up to a whole lot of no good, not that I'm blaming you personally, but I'm sure you know what I mean. 15+ innocent fathers mothers and children is never an acceptable price for one enemy soldier/terrorist....

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

From the link:

Hill described the smell as similar to strong onions and garlic.

Read more: www.azcentral.com...

Mm, onions and garlic. There is a problem with this?

reply to post by Ilyich

If there was a large nuclear detonation under the surface in one of these bases

How large? Why would that not have been detected. Wonderful imagination I have to say however!!

edit on 27/2/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
oh my god....i nearly started a thread a couple of days ago about this exact subject.

about 3 months ago i first smelt this strange smell. i was at work, walked outside and smelt something i had never smelt before....like a rotten, rotten egg gas smell. at first i thought it must be the truck that comes and empties the grease pits. so i looked and no truck. so i walked to the other end of the building (its massive) opened the door and there it was again. after i left work i could smell it for over 5 kilometres.

at home a few weeks later, there it was again. and once you smell it...you never forget it. i would say that in the last 3 months i have probably smelt it on about 5 occasions at 5 different locations. some as far as about 20 kilometres apart.

anyone else in australia kknow what im talking about?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by Destinyone

Star for you - with the updated article now referring to a purged gas line after others originally reporting no LEAK was found, I'd bet you're right:

Fire officials said Sunday night the smell was coming from fertilizer, but Scott Walker with the Phoenix Fire Department said Monday morning they believe the odor was caused by a purged propane line at a propane storage facility.

I wonder why the gas company wouldn't have offered this up initially...slow communications in the company, or something gone wrong resulting in a bit of cover-up?

That excuse is total bull first off people know what natural gas smells like and even if they did purge a line it would rise up in the atmosphere fairly quick because it is lighter than air, the OP stated it lasted all night into the morning.

The fertilizer excuse is lame also , why would one not smell it applied to the lawns or fields , or are they suggesting it causes sewer has to grow aka methane.

I am going to go with the Gaea of hell have been opened and the foul stench of evil permeated the air while hell's occupants escaped. We all know Arizona is hot as hell .

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Having lived 48 years in a midwestern state with large farming communites, I have smelled this smell, or one like it regularly.
When farmers drilled nitrogen into farm ground this was a common smell hanging in the air for a day or two.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

somthing probebly fell in the sewers and died

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

If it's making people sick, it must be toxic. The question is how toxic? And where is this coming from?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
so annoying when you are trying to get answers and you have to read through all the dribble post.

that being said...i can rule out fertalizer. i live across from a bowling club and know when they are using that and this doesnt smell like fertilizer. its hard to describe a smell. its like a decomposing smell mixed with rotten egg gass mixed with something acrid. it does feel like it sticks in your nose. we can rule out local issues as we seem to be getting it in different countries. lets try to pinpoint the countries that are now reporting this smell.

im from sydney australia......now add your main town/country. only add if you have ruled out to the best of your knowledge any local factors....ie...sewerage plants, dumps, tips,

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join