It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S., Syria Discuss Military Cooperation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Syria has been called an enemy in the war on terrorism. In an unusual report just being made public, the following article shows now that there may be possible cooperation between the Military of the U.S.A. and Syria. This move is said to begin with talks between Damascus and Washington and has a joint goal to help stabilize war torn Iraq.

ABCNEWS.com Full Article

Sept. 19, 2004 � WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Despite deep differences with Syria, Washington has initiated talks with Damascus in an effort to create a military-to-military relationship to help stabilize war-torn Iraq, Time magazine reported on Sunday.

Talks could even lead to joint U.S.-Syrian patrols along Iraq's border with Syria, which the United States accuses of supporting terrorism, interfering in Lebanon and violating human rights, Time quoted a senior U.S. official as saying.

The United States has complained that militants, money and weapons have crossed into Iraq from Syria, fueling the insurgency against U.S. troops. Senior U.S. officials met last week in Damascus with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who Time said, was interested in possible military cooperation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For the record the the article also states that the U.S. State and Defence Departments said they were unaware of the Time report and had no comment at this time.

If confirmed this report raises many questions.

Have things in Iraq become so dire that the U.S. is turning to a foe for help?

Syria's relations with Israel must also be seen as a problem, I have to wonder how the Israelis will respond to potential cooperation between the U.S.A. and Syria?

Can we trust Syria?

Related Links:

Cozying up to Syria

Lebanon's Sovereignty and Iraqi Security

With a little help from our friends

Other News Source:

US, Syria Discuss Military Cooperation -Time

[edit on 19-9-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but it may be a way for the U.S. to get into Syria legally to try and find WMD's that Saddam may have hidden there. Just speculation.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
WMDs had been brought to Lybia, that's no secret.
Furthermore what's the hazzle with Syria now? The CIA has a prison for alleged terrorists in Syria and this since beginning 2002. As well, this is no secret.
The USA and Syria work together since a long time BUT the problem with Syria is that this country is corrupted by all means. No matter what the leaderships decides, you can bribe your way into Iraq, together with some neat weapons.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
...When Bush knew evil when he saw it?

Bush Expands "Axis of Evil"

The United States has added Cuba, Libya and Syria to the nations it claims are deliberately seeking to obtain chemical or biological weapons.

6 May, 2002

I HATE that guy. Not for flip flopping so much as claiming others do.

I mean did the United States just join the Axis of Evil now? Do I get a vote on this? How about we call one November 2, hmmm?

Syria is not a good ally. But what choice do we have now?

Let Iran take over when we pull out?

We just took out our last ideological "ally" in the middle east that held Iran at bay. Sometimes the worst defense is a good offense.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
And this is after Syria has been accused of using chemical weapons in June on Sudan's people?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Maybe Syria is going to pack-it-in and become another Lybia. If this does happen Iran will be isolated.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I was under the impression that the US does not negotiate with terrorists.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
I was under the impression that the US does not negotiate with terrorists.

In "Air Force One", yes

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Considering that this time last year the 4th ID was a hair breath's away from rolling on to Damascus, I find this news f***ing hilarious.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This can't be right....

This is akin to having a fox guard the hen house....

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
This can't be right....

This is akin to having a fox guard the hen house....

Yeah this cant be right. I want to see the Memos

Well..... Maybe not

top topics

join