It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas For Stopping Asteroid 2011 AG5 By 2040

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
140 m isn't that big
F**k it I say, thin the heard, let it come
Gotta think how much of a wreck we could be in by that time ! Going at our current rate
But I'm sure we'll have the tech by then to put it to bed
Space based rail gun ? Is that feasible ?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
140 m isn't that big
F**k it I say, thin the heard, let it come
Gotta think how much of a wreck we could be in by that time ! Going at our current rate
But I'm sure we'll have the tech by then to put it to bed
Space based rail gun ? Is that feasible ?

Well, the mile wide impact crater in Arizona, Meteor Crater, was created by one that was about 50 meters wide. Estimated energy release was around a 10 megaton detonation. It didn't even make it to the ground, but detonated in the air, and still left a crater that big, and devistated a large area there.

Granted, that's not a ELE or even really a global event, but still, I don't think anyone here on Earth actually would WANT a 10 megaton (actually, this meteor will be a bit bigger than that) detonation happening in their back yard.

It would not be too cool for it to hit an ocean either (and the chances for that are greater).

So yah, while we as a race would survive this type of impact just fine, I don't think we really want to deal with it if we can avoid it, heh.

To me, either giving it a "nudge" or a "tug" would be the best bet. However, as pointed out, a strong enough nuke, could most likely obliterate it to dust due to it's small size.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

I vote we blow it up and televise the whole thing, of course. How often do you get to blow something up without hurting anyone? If there is one thing mankind is good at, is blowing stuff up. We blow stuff up without trying, I can't see it failing.

Or maybe a smarter decision would be to tow it into a stable orbit around some solar body. I would say Earth would be too dangerous of a host for our new little moon, but people don't seem to mind the debris field we already put up there.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

How old will Bruce Willis, Steve Buschemi, Ben Affleck and company be then??

Bruce Willis did die in the movie, but it was good practice for them to do it in real life, right??

Call em up

top topics

<< 1   >>

join