It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has NASA confirmed the collision with Asteroid 2012 DA14 at February 15, 2013?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

evidence for this claim ?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by WaveformAnalyst

There also is a treaty themed website ( Peace In Space -Ban Space Based Weapons -the Treaty ), created by Dr. Carol Rosin, with the intent on having a plan of action, that seeks to ban space based weapons.

Space based weapons are already banned. Dr. Rosin is simply garnering attention among the UFO believers.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Something that is only 100 meters in diameter will not do much damage on the earth if it hits, maybe a city block or a small tsunami at best but that's if it docent burn up as it enters our atmosphere which it probably would do.

It also depends on what angle is comes at us at, if its too shallow then the atmosphere will deflect it away but too steep would cause alittle more damage.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

There also is a treaty themed website ( Peace In Space -Ban Space Based Weapons -the Treaty ), created by Dr. Carol Rosin, with the intent on having a plan of action, that seeks to ban space based weapons.

Space based weapons are already banned. Dr. Rosin is simply garnering attention among the UFO believers.

DJW001: If this comment is referring to the Outer Space Treaty, which was applied on October 10, 1967, then I believe that the assessment that "space based weapons are banned" may not be an entirely correct evaluation. (By the way, I do thank you for sharing your perspective.)

The Outer Space Treaty deals specifically with banning nuclear weapons or any weapons of mass destruction (WMD) it does not; however, include conventional weapons. (A small sample of what conventional weapons are includes bombs, rockets, missiles, and cluster munitions.) From my understanding, the Outer Space Security & Development Treaty of 2012, proposed by Peace In Space, wants space to be an area free from *all* classes of weapons, so that nothing hostile can happen to Earth & within space. To me, there is a distinction to be made between the bans that already exist & what Peace In Space wishes to accomplish with their Outer Space Security & Development Treaty of 2012.

The Outer Space Treaty is not responsive to newer technologies that have already been created since 1967, or that will be created, which do not fit into the limiting nuclear/WMD description. In my opinion, the Outer Space Treaty is not only significantly outdated, but is also severely hindered via description & scope. For example: the Outer Space Treaty does not properly address objects that are originally created for non-weapon purposes, but that still have the potentiality of being utilized in a hostile manner. Objects and other technological machinery already deployed in space, without a doubt, can be utilized for contentious purposes. The Outer Space Security & Development Treaty of 2012 address such an issue whereas, the Outer Space Treaty does not.

The true reasons why Dr. Carol Rosin advocates for the Outer Space Security & Development Treaty of 2012, can never be truly known by anyone, but her. However, this does not mean that the issues she has/is bringing forth do not merit a broad examination.

Who knows, perhaps some company will develop technology to effectively deal with/eradicate asteroids and/or other natural objects that threaten Earth. And even though this gadget could initially be used for a peaceful/positive purpose - that does not mean that this shall always be the case. As our protections go now, if this gadget does not fall under the category of Nuclear/WMD classification, it could be altered and/or simply utilized for non-peaceful reasons.

I'm not saying, you are wrong & I am right, or vice versa. I do not claim to know all of the intricacies of this issue nor do I think I have the answers. I just do not want, myself nor anyone else, to become too complacent in just how protected we determine ourselves to be - within the framework of existing laws & treaties. Change & technology develops at a staggering pace; however, in my opinion, the Outer Space Treaty has somehow managed to linger for far too long without proper adjustments that are relevant to to us today & our ever approaching future.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

If everything you just said is true, there's a large loophole in that 1967 law that is already bypass-able, and apparently any new weapon technology is immune to that law. That's scary. I do know one thing: I won't be standing around waiting for this giant hoax to come to fruition.
edit on 9-3-2012 by mattdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

DJW001: If this comment is referring to the Outer Space Treaty, which was applied on October 10, 1967, then I believe that the assessment that "space based weapons are banned" may not be an entirely correct evaluation. (By the way, I do thank you for sharing your perspective.)

I agree with your general assessment of the situation. Treaties are only as good as the willingness of the signatories to honor both the letter and the spirit of the agreement. Fortunately, space is simply an impractical place to station or use weapons; even "conventional" anti-satellite weapons systems would create debris that might eventually damage the attacker's own orbital systems. With the possible exception of Earth directed lasers, near Earth orbit is useful mainly for intelligence, command and control functions. In this sense, it is already fully militarized.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Which side of the earth will this asteroid apporoach. In other words if it were to hit what area of earth will it hit?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

I don't think anyone would want to publicly announce that finding until a few days beforehand. Any sooner and they could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This thread deserves a bump as the date gets closer.

Space Weather.com had it listed as coming as close as 0.09 LD from the earth on Feb 15th.
www.spaceweather.com...
Something we all should probably keep an eye on as it is the closest an asteroid has whizzed past the earth that we have recorded. At about 60 meters it could have the potential to wipe out a large area wherever it hits.

Close call if nothing else.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Not going to hit.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
So depending on composition the ratio of impact crater size to size of the impactor is somewhere between 5:1 and 15:1 there are lots of variables that can render them more and less dangerous

IF all 100m diameter made it through, yeah we could be looking at a 1km wide hole... BUT as has already been pointed out, that 100m diameter object will not make it through in one piece and will be reduced in mass and possibly fragmented. So... i think all that will happen is that the meteor hunters will be out looking for the bits, more than reporters looking at a hole in the ground.

And yes as far as population goes, most of the Earth is unpopulated.

Risk... minimal

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Watching that video...the thought of not being able to predict where it will go when after Earths gravity perturbs its travel...
Hmm, ya know how when we send satelites to other planets, sometimes we use the gravity of another planet to slingshot the spacecraft and speed it up, could that happen with this meteroite?
Or, how about when we use the gravity of the target planet to trap our spacecraft, come in fast and low, and get slowed down by the planet and put into orbit....Hmmm
Imagine this rock coming in fast and low, putting itself into an orbit around Earth, and bouncing around our satelites, that would be interesting!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
Hmm, ya know how when we send satelites to other planets, sometimes we use the gravity of another planet to slingshot the spacecraft and speed it up, could that happen with this meteroite?

Off the top of my head, the encounter involves a large out-of-plane velocity so it won't pick up much if any slingshot effect. Whether it does or doesn't doesn't much matter, what matters is where it will ultimately end up. We'll have a better idea of that after the encounter; because it will be so close to earth, many observers will be acquiring data about it and we'll have plenty of new high quality astrometric readings to use to compute the orbit.

Or, how about when we use the gravity of the target planet to trap our spacecraft, come in fast and low, and get slowed down by the planet and put into orbit....Hmmm

We don't use gravity to brake spacecraft into orbit, we use aerobraking. If an asteroid like this is traveling faster than earth escape velocity, and it is, then it is impossible for it to use gravity to "trap" it in orbit. It's not coming nearly close enough to experience any aerobraking. That would require it to hit the atmosphere. There was a series of meteor sightings a couple months ago that I heard was actually the result of a single object that managed to aerobrake on the first encounter enough to enter orbit briefly. Because it was not a spacecraft, however, its perigee distance remained in the atmosphere, so it made at least one more pass through the atmosphere and generated additional sightings on its next orbit until finally it burned up.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Hey thanks, good reasoning.
Appreciate it.
X

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Ive been looking at this astroid and I dont understand why noone is thinking about gravity.. Heart me out..

Everybody know the gravity, mass goes into bigger mass.. So when its so close to the earth, dont you think the gravity will pull it towards earth ? Ofcourse it will.. And yesterday USA launched a secret space rocket without people in it, blowing this thing up?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

VR To - Asteroid 2012 DA14 MSNBC Report
youtu.be...

To avert a possible catastrophe – this time set for February 2013 – scientists suggest confronting asteroid 2012 DA14 with either paint or big guns. The stickler is that time has long run out to build a spaceship to carry out the operation.

The asteroid, known as DA14, will pass by our planet in February 2013 at a distance of under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is closer than the geosynchronous orbit of some satellites.

More
rt.com...

CNN Video Report
youtu.be...

Asteroid 2012 DA14 NASA JPL Orbit Diagram
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Recent & Upcoming Earth Asteroid Encounters
www.spaceweather.com... (Near Bottom Of Page)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Looks like this close call is a go. It will be 14,000 miles away from earth, but will miss it. The moon is 239,000 miles away to put this into perspective. The asteroid will be sailing right through where our satellites are. And scientists are interested in how it coming in so close will affect its distance in the future.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Looks like this close call is a go. It will be 14,000 miles away from earth, but will miss it. The moon is 239,000 miles away to put this into perspective. The asteroid will be sailing right through where our satellites are. And scientists are interested in how it coming in so close will affect its distance in the future.

Our satellites that are in geosynchronous orbit are 22,278 miles from Earth.
We also have numerous spy satellites that are a lot closer.

Don't forget the GPS satellites.

I'm not worried at all.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
are you sure of this news..
and if its true then whats the purpose to do this mission..
i cloud not understand?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Is it ever possible for one of these asteroids to get caught in the Earth's gravity/orbit?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join