It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has NASA confirmed the collision with Asteroid 2012 DA14 at February 15, 2013?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by anthonygillespie2012
According to scientists, asteroid 2012 DA14 has a length of 100 meters and in the case of hitting the Earth, can be released the energy, which equivalent to the explosion of the hydrogen bomb.

As long as it takes out Iran's Nuclear Facilities, all will be fine.

How much would a 100 meter rock dwindle down to from the atmosphere to land in say, the ocean? Would it be big enough to cause a Tsunami with its "nuke type explosion"? Because we've exploded nukes in the ocean before...
edit on 27-2-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

How much would a 100 meter rock dwindle down to from the atmosphere to land in say, the ocean? Would it be big enough to cause a Tsunami with its "nuke type explosion"? Because we've exploded nukes in the ocean before...

The asteroid itself would not displace enough water to cause a tsunami. However, if it lands close enough to a fault, it might cause a sub-sea earthquake that could cause a tsunami. If calculations show that an impact is probable, local governments might issue a tsunami warning and prepare accordingly.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I hope it makes a bee-line straight to Washington DC.
That'll fix the economy.....that is on the 'rebound with 53% unemployed or under-employed.....nearly 2-million homeless........and 13 million hungry children in America!
Let's party!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

If you do want to guess at composition, impact angle, and velocity, this site would be helpful in estimating damage.

www.purdue.edu...

Here is the data you will need to run your own simulation:

Diameter: 0.049 km

Density: 2.6 g/cm^3

Velocity: 12.72 km/sec

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

You can make up your own variables for angle of impact and type of surface. As I said, it's a city killer, not a planet killer. The Earth gets hit by one of these babies every couple thousand years, and we're still here.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

If you do want to guess at composition, impact angle, and velocity, this site would be helpful in estimating damage.

www.purdue.edu...

Here is the data you will need to run your own simulation:

Diameter: 0.049 km

Density: 2.6 g/cm^3

Velocity: 12.72 km/sec

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

You can make up your own variables for angle of impact and type of surface. As I said, it's a city killer, not a planet killer. The Earth gets hit by one of these babies every couple thousand years, and we're still here.

Actually, according to the site, it gets hit with something this size every few years.

I made it 100 meters across and the site reported an impact every 8.7 years.

"Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.15 x 10^14 Joules = 0.27 x 10^-1 MegaTons TNT

The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth is 8.7 years
The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 111000 meters = 364000 ft
The projectile bursts into a cloud of fragments at an altitude of 47800 meters = 157000 ft.
The residual velocity of the projectile fragments after the burst is 0.724 km/s = 0.449 miles/s.
The energy of the airburst is 1.15 x 10^14 Joules = 0.27 x 10^-1 MegaTons.
No crater is formed, although large fragments may strike the surface."

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
For the love of everything common sense. -facepalm-

I doubt this has any bearing of danger to Earth. This is just like "Elenin" "Nirbiru" and all those other crack-pot theories that something is going to smash into the Earth.

Do people really want things to change so badly they would even look to the utter annihilation of everything for relief?

I, for one, would certainly hope not.

To reiterate, I don't see how a "40 to 95" meter mass has any bearing of danger being 27,000 kilometers away.
To put this in scope, 1 kilometer is 1000 meters. The size of the mass is quoted as " 40 to 95 meters in diameter". You do the math.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Actually, according to the site, it gets hit with something this size every few years.

It depends what variables you use. The "every couple of thousand years" comment was based on the assumption that it is nickle-iron, in which case it would begin to fragment in the air but reach the ground, forming a crater a kilometer or so across. Most likely it is a loosely packed stony meteoroid, in which case it will probably disintegrate before reaching the surface. It would be a spectacular bolide.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Where is the confirmation of impact?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Arawn73

Where is the confirmation of impact?

It's not going to impact.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

The density that you gave is for stone.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Correct; it is most likely stone and will break up in the Earth's atmosphere. I also ran a simulation with nickle-iron, which is much more dangerous.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Anyone else remember that crazy white haired lady from the Disclosure Project? When she said her boss laid it out like this "cold war, terrorists, asteroid, alien". She said those are the 4 hoax threats we will be subject to in an effort to weaponize space.

Seems to me we've just hit 3 out of 4.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Given that they just found this I am hearing it may take a bit of time to narrow the window of travel to completely rule out impact. as well it is not only the size mass and displacement that determines the severity of a tsunami, but the velocity and angle of impact as well. hope it hits in the desert if it hits at all. Still though we got caught with our pants down, what if it were 600m Nickle Iron and on direct course? under 1 years to prepare, best estimates are 2 years to be able to take action.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Nomadtv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Blast it or paint it: Asteroid to threaten Earth in 2013

To avert a possible catastrophe – this time set for February 2013 – scientists suggest confronting asteroid 2012 DA14 with either paint or big guns. The stickler is that time has long run out to build a spaceship to carry out the operation.

We should definitely keep our eyes on this one.

More updates here:

rt.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ahhhhhh! Better call Bruce Willis.....I think the world might have another job for him

2nd.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Correct; it is most likely stone and will break up in the Earth's atmosphere. I also ran a simulation with nickle-iron, which is much more dangerous.

Yep, I hope its stone.. The chances of it hitting any of YOU guys is 1 in a few billion... you have a higher chance of getting struck by lightning AND winning the lotto on the same day.

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on.. as it gets closer, the track will be much more defined.... If it doesn't hit earth, I worry a bit for the satellite.. if it takes out a slew of them, it could really cause issues.. but we have backups for the REALLY important satellites. (if hubble got hit, that would just suck... but again.. chances are so low.)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I hope you all find this informative:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattdel
Anyone else remember that crazy white haired lady from the Disclosure Project? When she said her boss laid it out like this "cold war, terrorists, asteroid, alien". She said those are the 4 hoax threats we will be subject to in an effort to weaponize space.

mattdel: Yes, I know exactly which lady you refer to. Her name is Dr. Carol Sue Rosin (space & missile defense consultant/aerospace executive) that worked directly with Dr. Wernher Von Braun (rocket engineer & designer) from 1974-1977.

Just in case others are interested - here is a little bit of that story.

The progression of hoaxes, as purportedly revealed to Dr. Rosin via Dr. Wernher Von Braun as he was dying, were as follows: terrorism, third world countries (rogue nations), asteroids, & then the big one that Dr. Wernher Von Braun stressed to her, over & over again, was the extraterrestrial threat. The purpose of these four levels of scare tactics, is to justify the supposed need for space based weapons, all under the guise of "protecting" us from these planned "threats".

There are YouTube videos & websites that can provide more details on the background & history of this story & about Dr. Rosin. There also is a treaty themed website ( Peace In Space -Ban Space Based Weapons -the Treaty ), created by Dr. Carol Rosin, with the intent on having a plan of action, that seeks to ban space based weapons.

I'd like to mention, that I find it curious, that Dr. Rosin came forward with all this information before September 11, 2001. I've also noticed, that there does seem to be an increase of discussion/awareness, regarding asteroids & the whole extraterrestrial topic in general. Within my relatively short lifetime, I have seen all four of those levels of progressions, become more & more prominent. Perhaps coincidence, but to me it seems that in the years closest to 2012, all four "scary" events seem to be somewhat intertwined. Mere coincidence, or perhaps, these issues are in the forefront for calculated reasons? Common purpose - fear?

Apologies, if anyone feels this is veering off topic, but what if these four issues truly do relate to each other?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Reply to post by anthonygillespie2012

Well, I would initially say this happens all the time, yet life goes on. I would then point out the ignorance that someone must display in order to be pulled into crap like this.

But I get it, op, you read it in writing on the Internet...and your lack of basic education (because high level middle school or standard level high school education would protect you from making a fool out of yourself online like you have done here) has caused you to become a useful idiot that conspiracy theories depend upon, and post this thread (after reading something online that caters to the ignorant like you)

Quit crying to the mods about my post. Calling someone ignorant is way different than calling them a total idiot.... Oh wait...but then again....lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by anthonygillespie2012

short answer - no , long answer , they have not - satisfied ?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join