It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love flowers - Most beautiful flowers in the world

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Yes, I love flowers.

They are one of the perfect thing in our world, amongst many others, that really makes me enjoy my everyday life.
One of my favourite hobby is to sit down in my garden and watch closely the perfect symmetric and amazing colorful varieties of the flowers.
IMO, it's things like this that makes you feel alive, especially when you're in trouble in your life.

Lily of the Valley

Can you smell this bewitching scent? I have some of these in my garden and I'm really enthralled every year on May to smell it.

A delicate and fragrant sign of spring, the Lily of the Valley has inspired a number of legends. One such Christian legend explains that the tears that Mary shed at the cross turned to Lilies of the Valley, prompting the flower to sometimes be referred to as “Our Lady’s Tears.” Another legend tells of Lilies of the Valley springing from the blood of St. George during his battle with the dragon.

Lotus

The white lotus (Nymphaea lotus) is called the Egyptian white waterlily or the tiger lotus. The species comes from the Nymphaeaceae family and grows in various parts of Southerast Asia and East Africa. The blossoms float on water with the support of its lily pads. The white lotus is also a popural pond and aquarium plant.

This incredible flower have some specific properties:
- Under favorable circumstances its seeds may remain viable for many years, with the oldest recorded lotus germination being from that of seeds 1,300 years old recovered from a dry lakebed in northeastern China.
- The plant normally grows up to a height of about 150 cm and a horizontal spread of up to 3 meters, but some unverified reports place the height as high as over 5 meters.(!)
- Researchers report that the lotus has the remarkable ability to regulate the temperature of its flowers to within a narrow range just as humans and other warmblooded animals do.

Blue Bells

In spring, many European woods are covered by dense carpets of this flower; these are commonly referred to as “bluebell woods”. It is thought that they were named by the romantic poets of the 19th century, who felt they symbolized solitude and regret.

Passion flower

This is one of the most perfect symmetric flower I've ever seen!

Close-up of the core flower:

Google mosaic. Check out the amazing existing varieties!

Passionflower was used traditionally in the Americas and later in Europe as a “calming” herb for anxiety, insomnia, seizures, and hysteria. It is still used today to treat anxiety and insomnia. Passionflower is now grown throughout Europe. Each flower has 5 white petals and 5 sepals that vary in color from magenta to blue. The passionflower’s ripe fruit is an egg-shaped berry that may be yellow or purple. Some kinds of passion fruit are edible. This flower is extremely well known but until recently I only noticed how beautiful it can be.

Bird of Paradise

The bird of paradise (Strelitzia reginae) is an exotic flower that is native to South Africa. Because of the flower's resemblance to a colorful bird in flight, the name was aptly coined. The flower, which blooms from September through May, is a popular design element in gardens.

Dahlia

The dahlia is a genus native to Central America, Colombia and Mexico and they are characterized as bushy, tuberous and perennial plants. The plant was named after the botanist Anders Dahl. There are roughly 30 species and at least 20,000 cultivars.

If ever there was a flower that knew the meaning of variety, it is the Dahlia. While it’s colors are limited to the warm ranges of red, orange, yellow, pink and white, it’s flowers come in a dizzying array of shapes and sizes. Each variation of the dahlia petal is a beauty. Their petals can be spiky, wispy, round thin or a half dozen other variations. Even the color ranges from one solid color to a painted mixture of two or three colors.

Peonies

Peonies produce large, often fragrant flowers. Blooming in late spring and early summer, Peonies come in shades of red to white or yellow. Peonies are native to Asia, Southern Europe and Western North America. Since ancient times, Peonies have been regarded as the symbol of wealth, luck and happiness. Peonies always represent elegance and poise.

Rose

Ah! The Rose flower.....
I really cannot talk about flowers and forget about the Rose!!
One of the most popular garden plants, roses come in several forms, shapes and colors. Roses come in shades of yellow, pink, purple, white, cream, red and nearly black with several variations of shades in between. One of the rose species is the Peace rose which is the most famous and successful garden rose of all time. Over one hundred million plants had been sold, as of 1992. It is a Hybrid Tea rose with very large flowers and a light yellow to cream color. The rose is extremely popular for a variety of reasons but one is defiantly due to its beauty.

Do you know the blue/purple Charles de Gaulle rose?

And let's not forget of course the absolute symbol of Love:

There are so many others that I would like to show, but I'm pretty sure that you'll bring here your favorite one.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
edit on 27-2-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
what an awesome thread.
thank you.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Oh,I love flowers as well that is why I am a floral designer.
Beautiful pictures,I will have to save some of them.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Great thread s&f

I was thinking about posting a thread about flowers but never got round to it.

If it's cool with you I would love to share some that i've taken recently on your thread.
Although it won't be until tonight as i'm at work right now and I can only view ATS from my phone.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Love your thread!!!! As someone who lives to work outside gardening I have been stuck inside because of the rain and cold. Seeing all the beauty that you pullled together reminds me that spring will be here soon and I can resume my outdoor fascination with the plants and flowers!! You shouuld do a follow up on flowers that attract certain wildlife like hummingbirds etc. I am always looking to keep those babies in my yard!!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Gorgeous, thank you so much. Reading this thread is like receiving color therapy
Where I live everything outside is still very grey and brown.

I love gardens, they are amazing co-creations between man and Nature. But Nature can also create some beautiful things all by herself. Here are some pictures of my favorite wild flowers:

Dame's Rocket

Toothwort or Pepper Root

Carolina Spring Beauty

Purple and Yellow Violets

Wild Strawberry

Polygala or Gay Wings

Dog Rose

Blue-eyed Grass

Wild Daylily

Wild Geranium

Trout Lily

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
"Link to external image"

I guess I speak the language of flowers, but not computers. Sorry for mucking up your beautiful thread.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
What a beautiful start to my day! Nothing like viewing gorgeous flowers on a Winter day and wishing for Spring.
Thank you so much for these beautiful and cheery photos!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I can hardly wait for spring! Thanks for lightening the day.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Wonderful thread - I love flowers and
have spent many hours photographing
them. When I am out in the gardens
I feel as if I don't have a care in the
world.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Ahhhhh strolls through elevenaugust's garden inhaling deeply. The fragrances blend and then intensify as I pass each flower. My eyes feast on the colors and textures. Your garden is beautiful elevenaugust, Thank you for sharing. I wish I could really smell them all and see each one in person. They are all wonderful photographs, my favorite is the bluebells, the contrast of the fresh spring green with the blue-purple....wow!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
Great thread s&f

I was thinking about posting a thread about flowers but never got round to it.

If it's cool with you I would love to share some that i've taken recently on your thread.
Although it won't be until tonight as i'm at work right now and I can only view ATS from my phone.

Sure! Please do!

There's another that I have in my garden, the "Black Eyed Susan":

Here's what they said here about this flower:

The black eyed susan, a cheerful wildflower, is a perennial that serves as a beautiful back drop in any garden. The contrast of the bright gold yellow petals and dark middle makes it any easy one to spot and recognize. This official drink of the Preakness stakes horse race is named after this flower, consisting of 2 parts Bourbon whiskey, 1 part citrus vodka, 3 parts sweet & sour mix, one part orange juice and garnished with orange and a cocktail cherry.

....however, mine is more like a climbing plant:

edit on 27-2-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Magnolia with worker bee.
They are huge, took this
photo in Ky. Flower of
the south.
edit on 27-2-2012 by crazydaisy because: wrong description

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
What a wonderful thread.

I'm partial to snapdragons:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this. This is the most up lifting thing I have read today. It was especially nice that you started with the lily of the valley, my favorite flower. You have made Monday more tolerable.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here are some anemones. I love these. They're so colorful and just go well with almost anything:

And for autumn, I just love stonecrop and blue mist shrub:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

For some strange reason these flowers look really cool, I have about 2 packs of them and going to plant them this spring

They are called Lupin

edit on 27-2-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
its too beatifull, lets destroy it!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

edit on 27-2-2012 by Anunaki2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

For some strange reason these flowers look really cool, I have about 2 packs of them and going to plant them this spring

They are called Lupin

edit on 27-2-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

Those look cool.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join