It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP!!1st attempt meditation REM within 5 min

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JimIrie

Thanks! I was actually already working my way through your series

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whenWEallFALLdown

Well you certainly have gotten a range of opinions already, haven't you?

There are many, many paths to our desired spiritual destination. After reading all the different posts on here, I would suggest you take a moment, reconnect with your own experience and look for the assistance and wisdom that resonates with you.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

As you have never meditated before you are likened to the toddler. What you have done in going straight to Theta meditations is walked right past the splash pool, past the wade pool, past the main swimming pool, and jumped into the dive pool. If that analogy doesn't work for you then think of it this way, you walked past the tricycle, past the bicycle, past the automatic transmission car, and jumped into the formula one.

I can definitely work with both those analogy's and they do make sense. When I heard the theta binaural thing its like it was massaging my brain and thats why I decided to meditate to it. Now I know, thanks for your response.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I am trying to realize that fear and self doubt are nothing more than illusions which have been perpetuated by the jailers of this "Black Iron Prison".( see Phillip K. Dick ) It is a work in progress. PEACE.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
I would like to see any bit of that research because I've looked and cannot find anything bad or anything about brain damage. How could going into brainwave modes that you go into naturally every time you go to sleep cause brain damage. You need to know what you're talking about and you dont.
Delta is dangerous than you better not plan on dreaming ever again. Alpha a problem, better not daydream either. You might never wake up. LOL.

I need to be the one that needs to get my facts straight ? lol, I think you're the one who has the facts wrong.
First of all, you don't dream during a Delta state, Delta is a dreamless unconscious state where the body repairs itself. You enter Delta during sleep, but that is completely different, because you have increased blood flow to your brain and your brain goes through several cycles at night. Another time that people enter Delta state is when they are in a coma and unconscious.

Every time someone mentions meditation I hear the same Hippy Crap Mumbo Jumbo, how it's spiritual and you have to go within, but nobody talks about what is really going on in your head. I really don't feel like getting into a debate over this, because it's like trying to convince a pothead that pot isn't good, they only see the good things in it.

Anyway, meditation works different for everyone, it may work for some, but not for others. What I'm trying to say is that if you can't feel your body during meditation, then you should really consult with someone to see if that is normal, preferably someone with a PHD and not some guy in sandals and a tie dyed shirt with long hair and a beard.

What works for Zen Monks might not work for someone who has a 9-5 job and needs to interact with other human beings
www.healthguideinfo.com...

Meditation reduces blood flow to the parietal lobe by focusing singularly on the functions of the frontal lobe; the area associated with concentration. Blood flow is transcended to the frontal lobe area while the flow appears to recede in the region of the parietal lobe. There are many dangers associated with this altered state of being and is increasingly becoming problematic in westernized cultures as meditation becomes popularized and its true eastern roots are ignored.

Damage to the parietal lobe results in the loss of visual integrating systems.

Meditation doesn't affect everyone the same, just like when people do drugs, they can do a lot of drugs, then stop and be completely normal or they can stop and never be the same.

A phenomenon called "involuntary meditation" has been found to inflict older meditators with spontaneous unreality.

www.thehumanist.org...

What is interesting is that Buddhist and Hindu teachers, even the Dalai Lama, have occasionally pointed out the potential hazards of meditation. Dhammananda warned:

Dr. Lorin Roche, a meditation teacher, says a major problem arises from the way meditators interpret Buddhist and Hindu teachings. He points out that meditation techniques that encourage detachment from the world were intended only for monks and nuns. He has spent thirty years doing interviews with people who meditate regularly and says many were depressed. He says they have tried to detach themselves from their desires, their loves, and their passion. "Depression is a natural result of loss, and if you internalize teachings that poison you against the world, then of course you will become depressed."

edit on 2/27/2012 by taws6 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Christopher Titmuss, a former Buddhist monk who now lives in England, holds yearly Vipassana meditation retreats in Bodh Gaya, India. He reports that occasionally people go through very traumatic experiences and require round the clock support, the use of strong drugs, or even hospitalization.......

Arthur Chappell, a former devotee of Guru Maharaj , points out that meditation starves the mind of stimulus (sensory deprivation) and he wonders whether desensitizing the mind to stimuli may actually "affect one's ability to react properly with the level of fear, love, and other emotions required in any given social situation." Chappell says minds can atrophy-just like limbs do--if they aren't used for a wide range of purposes:

If meditation works for you than that's awesome
but I'm just sharing my point of view, which most probably don't want to hear, no need to attack, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
edit on 2/27/2012 by taws6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by taws6

Hey now pot isn't bad for anyone. The act of burning and inhaling the smoke is another thing but that's a whole different discussion

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Interesting post. I suggest not heading STRAIGHT into binural beats and instead, try doing some meditation sessions without them. Set up a time and date that you CAN stick to. Have someone hide your xbox or just unplug your TV.

Try doing it without the beats. It is an interesting yet wonderful experience if done right but it DOES take a lot of practice.

Good luck in your travels

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
you had a kundalini awakening. the beats operate at a frequency in tune with your deeper stages of relaxation. it sends two different frequencies within the range of relaxation intended. your brain takes these two(just off) frequencies and fills in the difference. like 10hz and 15hz, your brain would also create the 5hz to fill the gap in and its usually a number ideal for meditation, hence why it works so well. youre basically tuning your brain like a piano. then when you want that note, it comes easier after a time. what you experienced wasnt unusual, it wasnt too much, and you certainly didnt skip the kiddy pool. you meditated, and had an experience. your spirit and body knows what it needs. continue and understand all that you do. meditation is different for all. dont believe the hype about bad meditations or anything of the sort. most just havent let go enough to properly analyze and deal with their self. i contribute this to lack of knowledge and someone experienced to assist. learn all you can about it, and try your best to understand it, thats the key. after a bit of practice, you will be blown away by the results in your life, and in your mental state. you do what you feel comfortable doing. dont push, just let these things come. and most importantly, enjoy the ride.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mactheaxe

thank you for your post I feel its a very knowledgeable response and suggestion

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by taws6

No one is suggesting that someone use these to separate themselves from the world and become a monk or anything. We are talking about a 20 min per day meditation session with the help of a cd.
Find me a study that says these are dangerous especially when used as intended.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by taws6

Not feeling the body is psychological. All they have to do is open their eyes at that point. You are never more than a simple nod away from being awake and on your way back to beta. Sometimes I think I feel someone looking at me. Opening my eyes immediately abolishes that notion.
You are correct I did not mean delta for dream states. I said it was like dreaming while awake. Of course theta is the dream state. My point is that these cd's are not going to do anyone any harm. They are even pretty hard to abuse. As soon as you turn them off you are on your way back to beta. Give yourself time to recoup like you would after having a nap. It is not harmful and I think your post is possibly alarming the OP unnecessarily.
And like I said I've been using them for two years and they have not driven me crazy or caused brain damage unless its the kind that does not have any effects on your everyday life.
Even something as innocent as water can kill you if you overindulge in it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I have not missed finding peace. I found the strength to defend where defending is needed. I do not need to be a patsy to have found peace and you are bullying which speaks volumes about your own inner peace.
You were being condescending and patronizing with your "expertness".

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I do not claim any knowledge. I only claim experience and I have experience with these cd's.
The kundilini crap does not fit with my modern thinking. I do not believe I have an invisible snake living at the base of my spine. I think my spine is for carrying spinal fluid so that I can move and for relaying messages to my brain. I also do not think I have another eye lurking between my eyebrows waiting for me to find a way to open it. I had a zit there once but popping it did not reveal anything underneath.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

well of course, you shut down. these energies arent exactly tangible to everybody. just think, what makes you up? blood and meat and bone. what makes that tick? proteins and various other things. how about now? atoms. then? ENERGY. it binds it all together. just because you cant see it or currently dont feel it dont mean its not there. just like a magnet, you too have your own field. our untrained fields are very weak, but theyre there. its not a snake, thats just the location that the energy travels through. they used what they had to describe it, and when you have that experience, it is indescribable. merely be open to others. smile more. take control of your bad days. help an old lady. these things are what gets your mind open. i certainly dont judge anybody for their views and feelings. i respect you, so in that, i just wanted to clarify some things for you to better understand.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whenWEallFALLdown

you are welcome.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mactheaxe

These energies dont exist. Please I dont need that new age stuff.
The cd's relax. They are healthy. Life is very stressful these days. Anything that can help folks relax and renew is a benefit. Science shows this. Science doesn't need the kundalini to explain the benefits.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

absolutely, and i hope your days get less stressful.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
this isnt meant to insult, only inform. i read your post and noticed you take weight with science. so, that made me think of a video i saw a week ago. its a very interesting video which i think is in another thread, it deals with the technology being developed in todays sciences and medical research. you dont have to watch but it really is interesting just for the sake of it. and i would like to say, its not new age stuff, this has been around and known about for thousands of years. maybe longer..its the link between you and your spirit.

youtu.be...
edit on 28-2-2012 by mactheaxe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join