It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP!!1st attempt meditation REM within 5 min

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Ok so ill make it quick.. Basically i've been on the verge of spiritual awaking for a couple months now I could just feel it. I've always had the urge to learn the basics of meditation and its different forms to find one that best suits me. After little research I figured out meditation itself can be pretty easy and concluded I had to try it. However, I also have a terrible problem with procrastination. Every time I have the opportunity and quiet space to meditate I choose to watch netflix or play xbox or anything but always something other then meditating. Well tonight while doing research I came across a "528 Hz Theta binaural beats 6 Hz" video and decided for the first time to meditate, to it. I closed my eyes placed my hands and feet together and just focused on mentally letting go. Well within 5 minutes my eyes starting twitching uncontrollably and I felt this explosion of euphoria come over me like I was entering another realm. I hate to compare it to this but it was like an orgasm in my entire body. I remember thinking this must be R.E.M. Basically as soon as it started it freaked me out like I thought I might go into a seizure so I opened my eyes and said "oh my god" over and over again and my eyes were watering profusely.

Now the thing to understand here is that this was all happening in a moment. Probably no longer then 2-3 seconds from when my eyes started twitching and the euphoria to me making the split second decision to open my eyes and not to experience what ever was about to happen. In retro I wish I would have kept going and seen what I was suppose to, but it was freighting. This experience is one I greatly appreciate as I have never been one to believe in the man with the beard and sandals. This experience reassured me there is more to the universe then the fabricated world around us. It was awesome.

I guess my question is has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any input would be appreciated. As I said, this was my first time ever meditating and it was just a little to powerful for my first rodeo. I am anxious to revisit very soon though.

P.S. sorry for this disorganization or misspellings I just threw this together.

edit on 27-2-2012 by whenWEallFALLdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
You are right, silence and calming down is the key. proceed and succeed

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Same exact thing happened to me! I was just laying in bed and I decided to try it. First by relaxing every part of my body. Then closing my eyes and trying to enter my mind so to speak. Within minutes my eyes were twitching like crazy, and I was well aware of what I was doing. I started to slip away, into the darkness of my eyelids almost. I hit a road block though, I couldn't go any deeper. But that feeling was incredible. I was awake, but I felt like I wasn't part of my body. It was scary because I didn't want to try to move my body just in case I couldn't. It felt like I had no control
Good luck next time and post up on your experience!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by whenWEallFALLdown

Yeah I have had similar experiences when I started meditating. It is something I would like to get more in to but the focus we did (at work before we started, lying on the floor with the MD).

We started with our breathing and then counting each breath slowly whilst trying to dismiss any other thought that came in to the mind - a good technique for this is to visualise that thought being packaged up and thrown away.

I much preferred to stare in to the back of my eyelids and let the images form and this would give me the epxerience you described. My goal was to submerge myself in a 'real' world. By that I meansomething that audibly and visibly seems like our living world rather than how I imagine things. I can only hold this for a few seconds as it takes a lot of concentration and focus - but practice makes perfect.

I wouldn't be afraid of anything, as long as you have good intentions and are positive everything will be beautiful [and if you don't it probably wont make much difference either
) Just keep exploring your own mind and body and you will find your own methods, boundaries and enlightenment.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by literofcola
I was awake, but I felt like I wasn't part of my body. It was scary because I didn't want to try to move my body just in case I couldn't. It felt like I had no control

It's very important to understand what is actually happening in your brain and not just assume that this is wonderful. Same thing was happening to me and after some research I discovered that with prolonged use this can cause some brain damage so I completely stopped meditating.

During meditation what is actually happening is that the frontal lobe, part of the brain that is responsible for concentration receives a lot of blood which is a good thing, hence the great concentration and increased awareness. At the same time the blood get drained out of the parietal lobe, this part is of the brain responsible for being able to tell the boundaries between YOU and everything else. So this feeling that you describe of not being able to feel that you are in your body, is actually the lack of blood in that part of your brain. Prolonged use can actually rewire your brain and make you feel like this all the time. Also, pay attention to your vision, because during meditation blood gets drain out of your visual cortex which could make your vision a little blurry after meditation.

I have to go to work soon, so I really don't have time to look for a link, but look into it and you'll find that people went on these meditating retreats, meditated themselves into nutcases and need to be medicated.

edit on 2/27/2012 by taws6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

You need to get more sleep if simply relaxing is enough to trigger REM sleep. Also, you should probably not have so many electronic distractions in your life. You should be able to achieve a meditative state without listening to an audio recording; just pay attention to your breath. In short, what you experienced was normal, under the circumstances.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Sounds like a typical feeling at the beginning...
I would like to call it "small kundalini sensation" as it implies what happens when the "snake will get awake", but it´s more of a, more conscious than normal feeling, about the energy flow of your body.
Also it comes because of much more oxigen inside your hardware system.
AND the brainwave synchronizer has surely a part of guiltyness. I won´t recommend to use them. Or can you assure for what they have been made for? Do you know who invented them? Have a study about Monroes personal experiences and think about it again...

This one helped alot of people...
Your Spiritual Revolution Thread Series on ATS Part VIII:Basic Knowlege: Meditation for beginners

Peace, love and light,
let u guide by higher i

Jim Irie

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by whenWEallFALLdown
Ok so ill make it quick.. Basically i've been on the verge of spiritual awaking for a couple months now I could just feel it. I've always had the urge to learn the basics of meditation and its different forms to find one that best suits me. After little research I figured out meditation itself can be pretty easy and concluded I had to try it. However, I also have a terrible problem with procrastination. Every time I have the opportunity and quiet space to meditate I choose to watch netflix or play xbox or anything but always something other then meditating. Well tonight while doing research I came across a "528 Hz Theta binaural beats 6 Hz" video and decided for the first time to meditate, to it. I closed my eyes placed my hands and feet together and just focused on mentally letting go. Well within 5 minutes my eyes starting twitching uncontrollably and I felt this explosion of euphoria come over me like I was entering another realm. I hate to compare it to this but it was like an orgasm in my entire body. I remember thinking this must be R.E.M. Basically as soon as it started it freaked me out like I thought I might go into a seizure so I opened my eyes and said "oh my god" over and over again and my eyes were watering profusely.

Now the thing to understand here is that this was all happening in a moment. Probably no longer then 2-3 seconds from when my eyes started twitching and the euphoria to me making the split second decision to open my eyes and not to experience what ever was about to happen. In retro I wish I would have kept going and seen what I was suppose to, but it was freighting. This experience is one I greatly appreciate as I have never been one to believe in the man with the beard and sandals. This experience reassured me there is more to the universe then the fabricated world around us. It was awesome.

I guess my question is has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any input would be appreciated. As I said, this was my first time ever meditating and it was just a little to powerful for my first rodeo. I am anxious to revisit very soon though.

P.S. sorry for this disorganization or misspellings I just threw this together.

edit on 27-2-2012 by whenWEallFALLdown because: (no reason given)

As you have never meditated before you are likened to the toddler. What you have done in going straight to Theta meditations is walked right past the splash pool, past the wade pool, past the main swimming pool, and jumped into the dive pool.

If that analogy doesn't work for you then think of it this way, you walked past the tricycle, past the bicycle, past the automatic transmission car, and jumped into the formula one.

The most common mistake made by people when entering into meditation is not setting up the foundation before building the house. Yes Theta meditation can be fun but there is a lot of things going on that you will never understand without first understanding the other states of mind and in actuality the main state to focus on, where most of your learning, connecting, plane travel, astral travel, obe, etc. etc. etc. is the Alpha state.

My suggestion is to learn proper relaxation techniques, then learn proper techniques in calming the mind, then find the silence within and enter the Alpha state. Yes you can throw in a tone vid or mp3 like you did with the Theta, but again you will not understand the whole of the picture without the foundations of meditation. Understanding meditation in all its levels and using it to your benefit is not found by looking in the back of the math book for the answers its understanding how you got there through practice and training your mind and body to accept and understand it first.

Parts of the foundation of meditation is the removal of fear and doubt. These two are, and will be, your biggest and strongest adversaries. I see so many threads here on ATS of people who are seeing negative and or perceived evil entities in their meditations, this is because they too have skipped to the end of the book and have not faced their own darker side of fear and doubt. When one builds the foundation properly they begin to become a light being and as a light being the dark can not effect them as they have let go of fear and doubt. Those dark beings are there to help you to let go of it and move forward but so many people let the fear and doubt take over and sit stagnant in their spiritual growth. One must break free from the darkness and enter the light or forever they sit in the darkness of fear and doubt.

My suggestion is to learn how to relax, and learn how to breath, then learn how to let go of the fear and doubt, then enter the silence of the mind. It is in the silence the worlds begin to open to you and true meditative learning can begin.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Outstanding post. I too believe that fear and doubt are obstacles that we must overcome,they are illusions of this 3D incarnation. Overcoming those obstacles can still be a very daughting task. If you have any tricks of the trade for overcoming these dastardly obstacles, please offer them to us.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by WilburMercer
reply to post by Agarta

Outstanding post. I too believe that fear and doubt are obstacles that we must overcome,they are illusions of this 3D incarnation. Overcoming those obstacles can still be a very daughting task. If you have any tricks of the trade for overcoming these dastardly obstacles, please offer them to us.

Thank you for your kind words.

The problem with facing ones fears and doubt is it is just as personal as the fears and doubts themselves. People have fears and doubts that they themselves do not realize they have them until faced with them head on and head on is the way to deal with them.

Throughout history there have been many rights of passage that attack this issue in almost every culture. They are the coming of age rights. Myself, personally, I like the Druidic Right of the Pillan. This is described as entering into a dark hall where the only light is a Pillan(a blue light) in the center. One must simply touch the light but in order to do it one must traverse the darkness and the fears within it and overcome the self doubt of success. In some cultures it is actively seeking out fear and finding the brave heart to overcome it/them but the common thread of almost every culture in overcoming fear is darkness.

To overcome fear one must face it and prevail. It is okay to feel the fear, but to face it and not back down, free of doubt, and push forward until one has worked past it. Once one has successfully worked past the fear once it is easier to face it again but that is what one must do. face the fear 3 times and work through it each time building confidence and removing doubt of your ability to overcome. The thing about fear is that there it will be hiding in the corners of your mind so it will be an on going process until doubt has been removed at which point the fears will fade away with the darkness as one becomes a being of light.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I've been using these cd's for years now. I have some that go lower than 1 HZ ( Episolon below Delta ) and as high as 40hz (Gamma)
You get a good look into your own subconscience this way. Kind of being awake while dreaming at the same time.
Dont be afraid. The most that will happen is you could get a bout of depression if you contact a sad period of your past too closely. You will get over it and the effect will never be what the first actual experience was so no worries. Further contact with the event will actually make the memory less painful and any similar experiences that might have hooked up with the original event will be lessened also. Thats the weird thing about memories.
These cd's will increase your ability to learn, will enhance your hormones for a healthier life, will help you sleep more productively with better cell renewal during sleep and can even have good effects on heart disease so keep using them. I searched and searched and could never find anything bad about using binaural beats and isochronic tones for meditations. I like Jeffrey Thompsons. www.neuroacoustic.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by taws6

I was awake, but I felt like I wasn't part of my body. It was scary because I didn't want to try to move my body just in case I couldn't. It felt like I had no control

It's very important to understand what is actually happening in your brain and not just assume that this is wonderful. Same thing was happening to me and after some research I discovered that with prolonged use this can cause some brain damage so I completely stopped meditating.

During meditation what is actually happening is that the frontal lobe, part of the brain that is responsible for concentration receives a lot of blood which is a good thing, hence the great concentration and increased awareness. At the same time the blood get drained out of the parietal lobe, this part is of the brain responsible for being able to tell the boundaries between YOU and everything else. So this feeling that you describe of not being able to feel that you are in your body, is actually the lack of blood in that part of your brain. Prolonged use can actually rewire your brain and make you feel like this all the time. Also, pay attention to your vision, because during meditation blood gets drain out of your visual cortex which could make your vision a little blurry after meditation.

I have to go to work soon, so I really don't have time to look for a link, but look into it and you'll find that people went on these meditating retreats, meditated themselves into nutcases and need to be medicated.

I would like to see any bit of that research because I've looked and cannot find anything bad or anything about brain damage. How could going into brainwave modes that you go into naturally every time you go to sleep cause brain damage. You need to know what you're talking about and you dont.
Delta is dangerous than you better not plan on dreaming ever again. Alpha a problem, better not daydream either. You might never wake up. LOL.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

The cd's make it faster , deeper and easier thats all. Many people have a problem meditating and cannot afford the years and years it takes of practice to reach these deep levels where the greatest benefits occur.
Did you know that during a delta phase your body increases the amount of human growth hormone it produces ? Did you know that many hollywood types are getting injections of HGH at over $1000.00 a pop to keep them young and healthy. Did you know that you get more HGH during a delta session than these guys are getting in that $1000.00 injection? Its true. celestialcameo.hubpages.com...
edit on 27-2-2012 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

None of that is necessary really. You're being pompas as a lot of people who have meditated for a long time do. Its a holier than thou mentality.
I dont know how my computer works but I can still use it. No one can say for sure how the mind works but we all use ours every day anyway.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
celestialcameo.hubpages.com...

This is an ad for a cd but it also lists the benefits of using them and the information is true of this set of cd's as well as any other cd with the same type of recordings so the information is true across the board. There are several websites that boast of the benefits and two years in or so I can say that I am not brain damaged or crazy (although there are some that would argue that, some strongly. LOL ) so it would seem that there are no dangers.
I use them at least twice a week sometimes daily.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

There was absolutely no reason to be rude but it shows my point in following the steps and building the foundation first as you have completely missed finding peace. With that I thank you for your taking the easy way out.

Your analogy of using a computer is null and void as one must still learn the basics in order to use it. Please go back to the basics and find what you have missed. Taking the easy way out has given you a false sense of knowledge.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by taws6

I want to see those links on meditation causing brain damage. I just don't believe it.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by taws6

Meditated themselves into nutcases!?

Well that is something new and I find the way you worded that absolutely hilarious, it even rhymes

I googled "people who meditated themselves into nutcases that needed to be medicated"

Zilch on the accurate results but I think that search line would make an excellent section of some rap song in the future.

I would like to see a link for this as I am sure others will too, preferably something that does not make me spit coffee all over my monitor in laughter.

edit on 27-2-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I had to dig for quite a while to find anything negative associated with mediation. All I could come up with was this site full of study abstracts dealing with the negative effects of Transcendental Meditation specifically.

Harmful Transcendence Site

I still think it's crap though. Meditation is not harmful. Most of the studies I found were extolling meditation's usefulness in helping to heal brain damage.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

edit on 27-2-2012 by Doublemint because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join