It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireman Sam creator under fire for 'racist' remark at airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

THE creator of the popular children's character Fireman Sam was outraged after being accused of racism and detained after making a joke at a London Airport.

David Jones, 67, commented on the ease with which a woman with her face covered by a hijab had walked through security controls, the Daily Mail reports.

"If I was wearing this scarf over my face, I wonder what would happen,'' he said to an official as he went to pass through an X-ray scanner at Gatwick Airport.

To his surprise he was met on the other side of the barrier by officials who detained him for an hour in an attempt to force him to apologise for making an offensive remark.

Police were also called.

(Link)

After reading this article, it seems as if Freedom of Speech is truly on its way out the door. I don't see how his comments could have been received as racist. This is Political Correctness gone insane! How did we reach this point and if this is how things are now, what does that say about our future?

Comments?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
It’s fairly clear what he said was not racist.
To detain someone for saying something.. Anything for that matter is insane and very worrying.
I hope he sues and defends freedom of speech for everyone!

Bit by bit our freedoms get taken away, and this is a fine example.

edit on 27-2-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I couldn't believe that they went and found a female muslim member of staff to come in and be 'offended' by the remark. How can you be offended by comments made when you were somewhere else in the building, comments that you did not hear yourself but were told to you by someone else at a later point in time?

I think he should sue them for false imprisonment, as they told him he couldn't leave unless he apologised for his remarks.

The more of these nutty stories I read, the more I want to escape from the UK. No one is going to do anything to stop the loonies running the asylum. Too many people are making big money from these ridiculous ideas.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Must not allow people to voice their un-satisfied opinion with air travel security.

If people keep pointing out the flaws, other people may notice them too! Better just punish the pointers, cause the others will see that too and will want to avoid a hassle.

Seems super simple to me...

join