It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President of Ireland Michael D. Higgins goes off on Boston radio host

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is from an interview by Boston conservative talk radio show host George Hook who was subbing for Michael Graham on "The Right Hook", he was interviewing Ireland president to be Michael Higgins (bio). AFAIK it was never broadcast in America. (interview was in Dec. 2010).

He's absolutely right - people that work 2, 3 jobs, literally every waking daylight hour, and yet have no access to even the most basic fundamental health care. Something is seriously wrong with America. I love the way he just lays into Graham. We need guys like this here in the States.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I enjoyed that. You get a star, but was it Graham he was laying into as you said in closure or was it Hook as your intro states.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Wow! I don't know the Irish guy in question but he certainly did rip that presenter a new one. Excellent Pro-American Change Rant.

ETA
He used a naughty word at the end to insult the presenter too. Good on him!

edit on 26/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Ahh...a thread about my home...I miss it!

Welcome to America...ya okay...thank god there is a pub on every corner to keep the sheeple drunk instead of dumber...but us Irish drink like it's a 6th meal in the day...so it doesn't work on us!

Good to see some sense from County Cork...home sweet home!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This guy is wrong. Coming from Ireland I would of expected a little better research. To say that the poorest in America does not have Health Care is crazy. Anyone who is considered Poor in this Country does get Free Health Care. That is the problem. The average American who works every day and pays there taxes, who works the three jobs to do that (plus probably send a kid to college and maybe from a single parent household), who makes sure there kids are also at sports activities on time, who also have to deal with the school system, etc. There is a lot going on over here for a normal person that has to deal with there mistakes they made having kids at a young age, marrying someone they probably shouldnt have (maybe becuz of that baby), getting a divorce but the father is a dead beat and doesnt pay child support so that person must work those jobs to pay for all these things. I know its long winded but it shows the lunacy that our current system has created. Now, because of situation that has evolved over the last 40 years now we should embrace Obama as the Leader we are now over looking somehow?? I don't understand his point. Maybe Ireland should wake up and quit being the lap dog of England and elect someone as President who will have the view of non compliance not the stance of the Obama administration or what Obama was supposed to change. That didn't happen. Regardless, his premise is incorrect regarding the poor getting free health care. I listened again and I think he interprets our middle class as being poor maybe.
edit on 26-2-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

Coming from Ireland I would of expected a little better research.

Are you coming from Ireland...or just saying "if I did come from Ireland"?

Do you have any idea how Ireland deals with things like this...or are you sure that America has it figured out and everyone else should follow suit?

A bit better research...ya...all of us could do with a bit more of that aye?

Unfortunately...I have to ask...where is yours?

You have a better plan to offer up...let's hear it!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Maybe you didn't get the memo, but the middle classes in both our countries is steadily disappearing, and is already nearly nonexistant. I was raised middle class in my earlier years and witnessed the slide downwards with my own eyes. My father went from being a Collision Center foreman to a bodyman in the blink of an eye, causing my mother, with a shoddy knee to work day and night as well as him to make ends meet. Even with free healthcare, as it is, it is still extremely hard for so-called "middle class" families to maintain what is described as the status-quo. No offense, but I think you need to get out more. Even the so-called "free healthcare" we receive up here is not truly free. We still have to pay for medication, and this is Canada, so I really doubt that I would see any improvements in your system, which has been hampered by Big Pharma even more than ours. Pharmacological corporations take advantage of people and governments by charging huge markups (1000+%) and you are gonna sit there and try to tell us that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about? Like I said, talk with some of these so-called "white trash" and you might get the reality of the situation, as we are about the only ones who know what really goes on in North America. It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

The content in the beginning of his rant was regarding Health Care not being available to 40 million Americans. I know for sure in America that poor people have access to free health care and he equated that we do not provide for our Poor being the "great country America". What I am saying is that him being from Ireland the middle class might be different there. I understand the Middle Class isn't what its supposed to be here in America but who exactly is he blaming?? Not Obama and not Bush and not Clinton and not Bush Sr. He is old enough to call out names but who is he blaming or yelling at?? A talk show host. Maybe he should spend that Energy getting free from the British.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

Thanks for agreeing with me. My issue is this guy who thinks the 40 million are actually poor. Most of the people with three jobs also have cars they cant afford because they want to look good or they buy $3,000 dollar watches for some odd reason. Not saying they should have that right its just sometimes you need to look at the Millionaire who drives a Honda Accord. Its the Middle Class who doesn't have access to legitimate health care. The poor feed off that middle class and what happens when the Middle Class becomes the poor??

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Great, i love it
, our own Ron Paul.
(And yes i am drunk tight now lol
).
But he is still a great president imo

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I mean no offense, but I don't really agree or disagree with you. There really is no line between the poor and the middle class these days. You cannot blame people that have been conditioned since birth to consume for buying things they do not need and financing a car when they can barely afford what they have. I think the patterns that you noticed are there, because of the huge disparity in quality of schools in poor areas vs. schools in predominantly upper-middle class areas. I know because I grew up in an upper middle-class area with a great school, and then moved to a lower-middle class, borderline poor neighbourhood, and the thing that impacted me the most negatively was not the riffraff in the neighbourhood, but it was putting an overachiever from a young age like me into a school like the one I ended up going to. They don't really teach anything at these schools, so much as they "train" kids to consume and follow orders. The whole curriculum revolves around left-brained, "stuff information in, bring it back out exactly like I told you" (standardized tests) crap that absolutely kills individuality. The saying "variety is the spice of life" has sort of lost it's meaning as what it means to me, is that there are 99 ways to solve every single problem in this world, but, if you ask a public school teacher, you will be met with the response, "the only right way is the way I told you." It is just there to train conformity into kids. The need to go with the herd. I think they are doing their jobs fantastically in that regard. I was just lucky enough to have an individualist teacher in my earlier years (heard she got fired recently for going to bat for one of her students.) Do not blame your fellow man for the problems that exist, as we are all just trying to survive. Do not attack the symptom, attack the disease. (Holy crap, I just startled myself. I'm starting to sound alot like a white MLK lol)
edit on 26/2/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenIgnorance

reply to post by EnlightenIgnorance

I believe the show was George Hook's "The Right Hook", but the guest host was Michael Graham who has a spot on it. Sorry I got it backwards in the op.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

He wasn't attempting to interpret classes or who or what defines a 'poor person'. Only that we have no health care as a basic right, and you can work around the clock and still have nothing. One illness or one injury can literally wipe out a person and their entire family.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

So, your saying you have a RIGHT to Federal Health Care?? From which Country?? Mexico?? I hear they have the best Doctors. You blame the Health Care system for high costs?? I can think of one MD who remembers how it was before the National Health Care system was born and I believe him.

top topics

join